Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I got this (below) off the side margin of the article ^ you posted.
It's good, from Fr. Goring ...

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I foresee that the issue of sexual immorality will be an issue that will separate many Christians across denominations. This is not an isolated thing. The Church of England has more or less been excommunicated from the Anglican Church because of this issue. We have the same sort of "progressive" churches popping up in the US and Europe. We have people like Andy Stanley who make his stance ambiguous because he says marriage is between one man and one woman for life, but he denies this with his pastoral advice in his "Unconditional Conference." Now, that is as much as I can say for Protestants as I hold zero clout for Catholic or other apostolic traditions. However, the Orthodox are having problems of their own atm (unrelated) and now with the Pope's ambiguity over the issue, I am afraid that this issue of sexual immorality will be something that causes a worldwide split across denominations. There will be divisions. Why? Paul says, more or less, so the good Christians will be demonstrated. I am reminded of the passage of the sheep and the goats. I am reminded when Christ says, "Depart from me. I never knew you." Let us, with all grace and humility, ever seek to live holy and righteous lives before the Lord.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm struggling with what could be the aftermath of this Synod.
The aftermath is we will still be called to be faithful, just as we were. Truth doesn't change. We are the ones who will need to carry on so our descendants (physical and/or spiritual) can pick up the pieces some time in the future. As ugly and as depressing as things could get, we who know Jesus have work to do when and where we can. Take heart.

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I foresee that the issue of sexual immorality will be an issue that will separate many Christians across denominations. This is not an isolated thing. The Church of England has more or less been excommunicated from the Anglican Church because of this issue. We have the same sort of "progressive" churches popping up in the US and Europe. We have people like Andy Stanley who make his stance ambiguous because he says marriage is between one man and one woman for life, but he denies this with his pastoral advice in his "Unconditional Conference." Now, that is as much as I can say for Protestants as I hold zero clout for Catholic or other apostolic traditions. However, the Orthodox are having problems of their own atm (unrelated) and now with the Pope's ambiguity over the issue, I am afraid that this issue of sexual immorality will be something that causes a worldwide split across denominations. There will be divisions. Why? Paul says, more or less, so the good Christians will be demonstrated. I am reminded of the passage of the sheep and the goats. I am reminded when Christ says, "Depart from me. I never knew you." Let us, with all grace and humility, ever seek to live holy and righteous lives before the Lord.
There has always been sexual immorality inside the Church, maybe not always but often enough to be a theme. Look up Peter Damian and what he found and how he combated it. In these generations it seems it has not just been the personal failings of big shots in the Church, but the failure to expect better, and finally the failure of compassion for sinners as now their sins are excused and excusable. We could name names. We could do that all day long.

The split will be between those sinners who have confessed their sins and are working mightily with the grace given them to stop sinning versus those who have accepted their sins as no big deal. The latter see their own sins as no big deal and thus excuse every sin as no big deal. They have learned to love the sin. Consequently they hate the sinner even as they pretend to accompany the sinner ... straight to hell.

It's time now for us who have confessed our sins and have been turned by God to right living to hang together. Doesn't matter evangelical, Fundamentalist, Lutheran, Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox. There is, or at least should be, an ecumenism in foxholes. We have far more similarities with each other than those who are like us in name only. Right now we need to storm heaven over this synod. Next month something else. And we need to figure out how to be in a real fellowship with each other. The old squabbles are almost irrelevant in comparison to what's coming. Why did Jesus pray for unity in Jn 17? For our witness. Now is the time to be witnesses. Elijah come.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Haha
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There has always been sexual immorality inside the Church, maybe not always but often enough to be a theme. Look up Peter Damian and what he found and how he combated it. In these generations it seems it has not just been the personal failings of big shots in the Church, but the failure to expect better, and finally the failure of compassion for sinners as now their sins are excused and excusable. We could name names. We could do that all day long.

The split will be between those sinners who have confessed their sins and are working mightily with the grace given them to stop sinning versus those who have accepted their sins as no big deal. The latter see their own sins as no big deal and thus excuse every sin as no big deal. They have learned to love the sin. Consequently they hate the sinner even as they pretend to accompany the sinner ... straight to hell.

It's time now for us who have confessed our sins and have been turned by God to right living to hang together. Doesn't matter evangelical, Fundamentalist, Lutheran, Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox. There is, or at least should be, an ecumenism in foxholes. We have far more similarities with each other than those who are like us in name only. Right now we need to storm heaven over this synod. Next month something else. And we need to figure out how to be in a real fellowship with each other. The old squabbles are almost irrelevant in comparison to what's coming. Why did Jesus pray for unity in Jn 17? For our witness. Now is the time to be witnesses. Elijah come.

Amen!

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm struggling with what could be the aftermath of this Synod.

I think many of us are ... :oldthumbsup:

What I find is always best ... especially in times of fear and uncertainty ... is to stay close to the Lord ...
whatever that might mean for each of us (daily prayer, Bible study, Mass, etc.) ...
so that we will be strong in Him, whatever the aftermath may bring.

It also helps me to stay connected with 'like-minded' believers ...
whether it be 'in real life', or here online, or a combination of both!

:blush:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Amen to that

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
So here is a question for Roman Catholics: I have been told that a Pope cannot depart from Holy Tradition, for example, a Pope could not make an ex cathedra declaration that contradicted the faith of the Second Council of Nicaea and embraced iconoclasm, for example. If a Pope actually does violate the tradition of the church, have any well-respected Catholic canonists and theologians speculated on what recourse the faithful would have in such a scenario, and could you link me to it?

Also, could the Sui Juris Eastern Catholic Churches sever communion with Rome in the same manner that Orthodox churches can break communion with each other if one of them does something heretical? Is there any provision for the breaking of communion with a part of the Catholic Church that falls into heresy and for whatever reason it is impossible to do anything about it? For example, the state-appointed bishops who now control the churches of the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association? I get the impression this happens automatically?

In terms of actual mechanisms of control and ownership, also, how does the structure of the Catholic Church compare with those of, for example, Anglican or Orthodox churches? Like, could American Roman Catholic dioceses use the recent supreme court ruling that allowed the Diocese of Fort Worth to leave the Episcopal Church with its property to break communion with Pope Francis temporarily in the same manner?

I would imagine there are precedents on a great deal of this, in part due to what is often called the Great Schism, specifically the period late in the Avignon Papacy where there were two antipopes, in addition to the legitimate pope, and if I recall one of the antipopes was in Rome. Also the Avignon Papacy is interesting in that it provides an example of Popes who were the Bishop of Rome, but were living in Avignon. During the Avignon Papacy, did the legitimate Popes of that period assume control of that diocese as well?

There are also several cases of important, non-titular bishops in both the Catholic and Orthodox churches who are the Patriarchs of a city other than that in which they reside, specifically, Antioch. Due to the Ottoman genocide and other factors, there hasn’t been a bishop in Antakya for at least 108 years, probably longer. For many centuries, most bishops of Antioch have been in Damascus, or elsewhere. The Eastern Orthodox Patriarchs of Antioch and Alexandria were for a time courtiers in Constantinople, despite the continued presence of Christians in those cities, while for many years the Syriac Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch lived in Tur Abdin, and now he lives in Damascus along with his Antiochian Orthodox and Melkite Catholic counterparts. The Maronite Catholic Patriarch of Antioch as one would expect resides in Lebanon, his official seat being in the town of Bkerke, with a summer residence in Dimane. Likewise his Syriac Catholic colleague is also based in Lebanon, in Beirut. And like his Coptic Orthodox counterpart, the Coptic Catholic Patriarch of Alexandria is based in both Alexandria and Cairo. So clearly, there was never a canonical problem with the Pope residing in Avignon during a period of time when Rome suffered from problems with security of the Lateran Palace and also habitability, with only one of the aqueducts still functioning, although I do understand the reasons why the Catholic Church really wanted the Pope back in Rome.

Rome itself is also interesting because it has four basilicas and the actual cathedral church is still St. John Lateran and not St. Peter’s, and all four of the major basilicas, along with the Lateran Palace and the Pope’s summer retreat have extraterritoriality.

By the way, in asking these questions, I do not want to give the impression that I am hoping for some kind of schism. On the contrary I am praying that the Roman Catholic Church remains resolute as it has been throughout my life, and that the sinister forces trying to change it are stopped, and that Pope Francis is blessed by the Holy Spirit with the courage needed to stand up for the faith and not to capitulate to the voices of the perverse liberals.

My only reason for asking these questions rather is in the event of a worst-case scenario, one which I assume Pope Francis would not be involved in, because it was my understanding from just a few months ago that he was resisting the push for “the Synodal Way” coming from the German bishops, and I admired him for that, and i assume his position hasn’t changed. Rather I am thinking about how liberals have illicitly seized control of the United Methodist Church in defiance of its own canon law, the Book of Discipline, because they disagreed with the outcome of a fairly conducted vote at the 2018 General Conference. Their ruthlessness is extraordinary. And in the past, heretics did occasionally have to be deposed from ancient patriarchates, for example, Pope George of Alexandria, who was an Arian who was sent in to intrude on the throne of St. Athanasius while the latter was in exile, until he was recalled by Emperor Julian the Apostate (whose title amuses me, because while obviously there is a distinction between apostasy and heresy, it isn’t much of a distinction, and so at times when I read about him, and then read about the horrible Arian Emperors who were manipulated into following that doctrine by the sinister Bishop Eusebius of Nicomedia*, and I find myself thinking of the pathetic Emperor Julian “apostate from what?” To his credit, he did reinstall St. Athanasius, although his motives for doing so were obviously impure, in that he doubtless reasoned that the Church had embraced Arianism, because for a time in the 350s it looked like that, the era famously known in the West as “Athanasius Contra Mundum,” so he reckoned he could cause chaos by reinstating St. Athanasius, when the reverse actually happened, because George of Alexandria was spectacularly unpopular with the Alexandrians, and thus his plan backfired, just like his plan to create chaos by having the Jews rebuild their temple, which literally backfired due to a buildup of natural gas in the temple mount, which resulted in spectacular fireballs preventing the construction from going ahead. At times I really do feel like God has a sense of humor. Especially if we consider a sense of humor to be a virtue, since as St. Basil the Great wrote, God is the fullness of all virtues and perfections to their highest and ultimate extent.

I am going to go to the Traditional Latin Mass this Sunday that is near me, God willing (I have been feeling poorly and have not always been able to drive, but I have two options, a TLM operated by the FSSP at a nearby parish at 10:30 AM, and the FSSP in San Fernando, CA, which is within driving range of me, about an hour away I should think, has low mass at around 2 PM followed by choral vespers, which sounds lovely.

*not to be confused with the church historian Eusebius of Caesarea, who was, however, sympathetic to the Arians and who famously equivocated when signing the declaration of the Council of Nicaea)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So here is a question for Roman Catholics: I have been told that a Pope cannot depart from Holy Tradition, for example, a Pope could not make an ex cathedra declaration that contradicted the faith of the Second Council of Nicaea and embraced iconoclasm, for example. If a Pope actually does violate the tradition of the church, have any well-respected Catholic canonists and theologians speculated on what recourse the faithful would have in such a scenario, and could you link me to it?
It was pretty much unthinkable that a pope would actually go off the deep end theologically. So it was academic. Bellarmine dealt with it maybe 450 years ago. The truth is we have no actual road map for the current situation.
Also, could the Sui Juris Eastern Catholic Churches sever communion with Rome in the same manner that Orthodox churches can break communion with each other if one of them does something heretical? Is there any provision for the breaking of communion with a part of the Catholic Church that falls into heresy and for whatever reason it is impossible to do anything about it? For example, the state-appointed bishops who now control the churches of the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association? I get the impression this happens automatically?
There is no provision for breaking communion short of the pope or a council (or a bishop in his diocese) excommunicating some person or group. The CPCA has not been (yet) ruled excommunicated.
In terms of actual mechanisms of control and ownership, also, how does the structure of the Catholic Church compare with those of, for example, Anglican or Orthodox churches? Like, could American Roman Catholic dioceses use the recent supreme court ruling that allowed the Diocese of Fort Worth to leave the Episcopal Church with its property to break communion with Pope Francis temporarily in the same manner?
That was a civil legal matter in USA law. I suppose a bishop could try to do that. The bishop is not a divisional manager for the pope, and in theory owns the property of the diocese and could probably go rogue and legally get away with it if he just refused to step down. It hasn't been tried that I know of in the last 500 years.
I would imagine there are precedents on a great deal of this, in part due to what is often called the Great Schism, specifically the period late in the Avignon Papacy
That's going way way back, and since it goes back way before Vatican I in 1870 I don't know how applicable it would be.
By the way, in asking these questions, I do not want to give the impression that I am hoping for some kind of schism. On the contrary I am praying that the Roman Catholic Church remains resolute as it has been throughout my life, and that the sinister forces trying to change it are stopped, and that Pope Francis is blessed by the Holy Spirit with the courage needed to stand up for the faith and not to capitulate to the voices of the perverse liberals.
Agreed. That's what we all need to pray for.
My only reason for asking these questions rather is in the event of a worst-case scenario, one which I assume Pope Francis would not be involved in, because it was my understanding from just a few months ago that he was resisting the push for “the Synodal Way” coming from the German bishops, and I admired him for that, and i assume his position hasn’t changed.
I can't figure him out. Some times he says great things. Other times he appoints scary people.
Rather I am thinking about how liberals have illicitly seized control of the United Methodist Church in defiance of its own canon law, the Book of Discipline, because they disagreed with the outcome of a fairly conducted vote at the 2018 General Conference. Their ruthlessness is extraordinary.
When they get power they know how to use it. They have destroyed the United Methodists.
I am going to go to the Traditional Latin Mass this Sunday that is near me, God willing (I have been feeling poorly and have not always been able to drive, but I have two options, a TLM operated by the FSSP at a nearby parish at 10:30 AM, and the FSSP in San Fernando, CA, which is within driving range of me, about an hour away I should think, has low mass at around 2 PM followed by choral vespers, which sounds lovely.
I was at a FSSP mass I think three weeks ago. I know (I knew) Latin but I find it difficult even so to follow. I was exposed to a Latin liturgy following the Novus Ordo at St Agnes parish in St. Paul MN. They enunciated clearly and I could understand that. Not so much last month.

The North American FSSP seminary is a short enough drive from here and I have met with many of the seminarians when they come out in force to the state capitol in January in the cold to commemorate the Roe v Wade decision (now thankfully moot). An impressive lot.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
It was pretty much unthinkable that a pope would actually go off the deep end theologically. So it was academic. Bellarmine dealt with it maybe 450 years ago. The truth is we have no actual road map for the current situation.

There is no provision for breaking communion short of the pope or a council (or a bishop in his diocese) excommunicating some person or group. The CPCA has not been (yet) ruled excommunicated.

That was a civil legal matter in USA law. I suppose a bishop could try to do that. The bishop is not a divisional manager for the pope, and in theory owns the property of the diocese and could probably go rogue and legally get away with it if he just refused to step down. It hasn't been tried that I know of in the last 500 years.

That's going way way back, and since it goes back way before Vatican I in 1870 I don't know how applicable it would be.

Agreed. That's what we all need to pray for.

I can't figure him out. Some times he says great things. Other times he appoints scary people.

When they get power they know how to use it. They have destroyed the United Methodists.

I was at a FSSP mass I think three weeks ago. I know (I knew) Latin but I find it difficult even so to follow. I was exposed to a Latin liturgy following the Novus Ordo at St Agnes parish in St. Paul MN. They enunciated clearly and I could understand that. Not so much last month.

The North American FSSP seminary is a short enough drive from here and I have met with many of the seminarians when they come out in force to the state capitol in January in the cold to commemorate the Roe v Wade decision (now thankfully moot). An impressive lot.

I frequently attend liturgies in languages I don’t understand, but since I have memorized the text, the only occasional annoyance is in a few liturgical rites I do not know all of the propers.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I frequently attend liturgies in languages I don’t understand, but since I have memorized the text, the only occasional annoyance is in a few liturgical rites I do not know all of the propers.
And Latin is actually fairly easy. I just want them to enunciate so I can hear it. If it were Greek or something I didn’t know I would probably not have as much of an issue. Anyhow, tomorrow I will be at mass in English in the NO. Last week I was at the Ordinariate mass. You might like that.

Upvote 0