United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Pope Francis met privately Monday with an American Jesuit who has been attacked by conservative U.S. Catholics for reaching out to gays, the latest evidence of Francis' willingness to shrug off right-wing criticism for the sake of his pastoral policies.

The Vatican listed the audience with the Jesuit James Martin among the Pope's activities, in a sign that Francis wanted it publicized. Since only some of Francis' private meetings are announced, the implicit message was a public vote of confidence in Martin's ministry.

Continued below.
Pope meets with Jesuit criticized by conservatives for gay outreach

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I suspect this is done just to provoke his opponents... well, I'm not surprised. Let's just hope all they did behind those closed doors was talking to one another. Shady business altogether, shady indeed. I'm not saying that they're actually gay, but if they were it sure would explain a lot.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suspect this is done just to provoke his opponents... well, I'm not surprised. Let's just hope all they did behind those closed doors was talking to one another. Shady business altogether, shady indeed. I'm not saying that they're actually gay, but if they were it sure would explain a lot.

Pray for this Pope. Rosaries. He really needs it. Christ, have mercy.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Pope Francis met privately Monday with an American Jesuit who has been attacked by conservative U.S. Catholics for reaching out to gays, the latest evidence of Francis' willingness to shrug off right-wing criticism for the sake of his pastoral policies.

The Vatican listed the audience with the Jesuit James Martin among the Pope's activities, in a sign that Francis wanted it publicized. Since only some of Francis' private meetings are announced, the implicit message was a public vote of confidence in Martin's ministry.

Continued below.
Pope meets with Jesuit criticized by conservatives for gay outreach
:doh::crossrc:

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
The article is totally bias in framing the issue as
an American Jesuit who has been attacked by conservative U.S. Catholics for reaching out to gays

Father Martín is more then “reaching out” to LGBT. He is clearly advocating full communion within the faith on their terms of being openly gay and transgender. If personhood meant anything other than a sound byte to appease the flock then the Pope would not answer to a priest throwing around the acronym LGTB.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The article is totally bias in framing the issue as

Father Martín is more then “reaching out” to LGBT. He is clearly advocating full communion within the faith on their terms of being openly gay and transgender. If personhood meant anything other than a sound byte to appease the flock then the Pope would not answer to a priest throwing around the acronym LGTB.
I completely agree as far as that first article. I noticed it when I posted it but it was gleaned from the AP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
This is sad.:sigh:
When Jesus ate with sinners, He did so for a different purpose.
When He went after the lambs who had gone astray, He picked them up, bound their legs, put them on His shoulders, and walked them back to the flock.
When He stayed behind his parents in Jerusalem to remain in the Temple and speak to the rabbi's and Elders, He taught them.

And when He called Lazarus from the dead, He called Him back to life.

When He went among those who had leprosy, it was to heal them, and to give them direction to go to the priests and have the healing confirmed.

Every time Jesus confronted open sin, it was done to end it and restore order (merchants in the Temple),
or to forgive and offer mercy in exchange for a changed life, (the Adulteress)
or to confirm and to restore right practices among people who had gone astray (Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.)

The mark of the pastoral conversation between the Pope and Fr. Martin will be whether Fr. Martin is changed by that meeting, or whether he remains the same afterward.:prayer:

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
This is sad.:sigh:
When Jesus ate with sinners, He did so for a different purpose.
When He went after the lambs who had gone astray, He picked them up, bound their legs, put them on His shoulders, and walked them back to the flock.
When He stayed behind his parents in Jerusalem to remain in the Temple and speak to the rabbi's and Elders, He taught them.

And when He called Lazarus from the dead, He called Him back to life.

When He went among those who had leprosy, it was to heal them, and to give them direction to go to the priests and have the healing confirmed.

Every time Jesus confronted open sin, it was done to end it and restore order (merchants in the Temple),
or to forgive and offer mercy in exchange for a changed life, (the Adulteress)
or to confirm and to restore right practices among people who had gone astray (Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.)

The mark of the pastoral conversation between the Pope and Fr. Martin will be whether Fr. Martin is changed by that meeting, or whether he remains the same afterward.:prayer:

And if he comes out emboldened then we can assume how the meeting went.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sounds to me like he is already emboldened, touting the meeting and all. And I still don't know how not to be scandalized by it all.

On a totally different tack to the underlying issue was something I read today by Joseph Pierce about Oscar Wilde. I recommend it. Actually a somewhat hopeful article.

Oscar Wilde’s Scandalous Secret: The Love That Dare Not Speak its Name

Oscar was a homosexual who died as a Catholic. But in this article there is a lot I didn't know. He was one of many people so inclined that joined the Catholic Church in Britain over 100 years ago, back in the day when we were quite strict about it, not like today where some of us seem to want to approve of immorality.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

not always. Sometimes it takes a while for correction to take effect, especially if the person who is being corrected is stubborn (don't ask me how I know this! :sorry:) but good correction will eventually be fruitful.

Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
not always. Sometimes it takes a while for correction to take effect, especially if the person who is being corrected is stubborn (don't ask me how I know this! :sorry:) but good correction will eventually be fruitful.
OK. Waiting. But not holding my breath.

• Prayers
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Sounds to me like he is already emboldened, touting the meeting and all. And I still don't know how not to be scandalized by it all.

On a totally different tack to the underlying issue was something I read today by Joseph Pierce about Oscar Wilde. I recommend it. Actually a somewhat hopeful article.

Oscar Wilde’s Scandalous Secret: The Love That Dare Not Speak its Name

Oscar was a homosexual who died as a Catholic. But in this article there is a lot I didn't know. He was one of many people so inclined that joined the Catholic Church in Britain over 100 years ago, back in the day when we were quite strict about it, not like today where some of us seem to want to approve of immorality.

I can resist everything except temptation.

Oscar Wilde

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Oscar Wilde - I can resist everything except temptation.
And in the end he couldn't resist the temptation to become Catholic. Had he lived, might he have relapsed? Maybe. He died well. I hope I can do so.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
And in the end he couldn't resist the temptation to become Catholic. Had he lived, might he have relapsed? Maybe. He died well. I hope I can do so.

I agree. I was posting his quote because well he is so quotable.

Upvote 0