Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seems everyone these days is "hating" on the U.S.
:(

VATICAN CITY — Warning that “the world in which we live is collapsing and may be nearing the breaking point,” Pope Francis issued a renewed call for climate action Wednesday, singling out the United States for “irresponsible” Western excess and decrying the “weakness” of world leaders for failing to take bold steps.

Eight years after his landmark environmental encyclical, Laudato Si’, in which he scolded climate change deniers and called for an “ecological conversion” among the faithful, Francis released a follow-up, known as an apostolic exhortation. Considered a lower-level document, it was far more concise — 12 pages, compared with his 180-page encyclical. Its impact, too, may be more limited.

Release of encyclical reveals pope’s deep dive into climate science
Francis summarized accepted science and again took aim at skeptics who deny man-made climate change. He strayed beyond climate, couching artificial intelligence as representative of a worrying inclination to “increase human power beyond anything imaginable.” In what reads much like a policy paper — apart from a smaller section of religious references toward the end — the “green pope” denounced the scale of emissions from high-consumption cultures and argued that the world’s poor were paying the price.

“If we consider that emissions per individual in the United States are about two times greater than those of individuals living in China, and about seven times greater than the average of the poorest countries, we can state that a broad change in the irresponsible lifestyle connected with the Western model would have a significant long-term impact,” the pope wrote.

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Strange ...
I'm no fan of Francis, but it isn't really strange. The US is degenerate, and the thing is, it's legitimately degenerate and so bad from either lens: liberal or conservative. Like in this instant of selfishness and excess and climate destroying, which is a more liberal view, all of that is true and we suck. Or we can take a conservative issue like the trans garbage being pushed on our kids, the whole satanic LGBT agenda, it's all true and again we suck. If the US isn't punished harshly then God will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah.

• Prayers
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The pope may not like the U.S. ... but he has faithful Catholics here in America that are not degenerate, are not a part of the decadence that is taking over the country, but rather who love God, love one another, love the Church and are attempting to follow his lead. But he seems to forget this fact when speaking the unkind things he says to all of America. In doing so, faithful Christian Catholics here are made to feel like bothersome step-children that deserve continual scolding and punishment.

It is wrong to declare a whole nation and all of its people as evil, when it just isn't so.
And it is especially wrong, when one has been assigned to spiritually lead a 'flock' residing in that degenerating nation.

The Lord was merciful in saving Lot and his family from the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. It would be refreshing sometime to hear some mercy from the pope towards faithful Catholics here in America, but I don't hold my breath for it. The only American Catholics who appear to be receiving his mercy at this time are the ones that many of us would consider to be decadent.

I called it 'strange', in an attempt to exercise Christian charity towards the pope. But, in reality, I believe the Vatican has been taken over at the top level by globalists ... some might even say satan ... and there doesn't appear to be any stopping it.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The big mistake in Pope Francis's new climate change scolding​

The pope's competency is not climate change science​

It gives me no pleasure to identify the essential problem at the heart of Pope Francis's recent Apostolic Exhortation, Laudate Deum: it condemns the economic progress produced by the Industrial Revolution from the mid-19th century to the present. That progress has made life better for the very people the Holy Father wishes to help.

The Holy Father says that with the advent of the Industrial Revolution, greenhouse gas emissions "accelerated significantly" and that "[m]ore than 42% of total new emissions since the year 1850 were produced after 1990."

It stands to reason that as the entire world was being lifted out of subsistence poverty in which it had existed from the time humans appeared, some environmental impacts could be felt if progress was made. To contextualize this picture, simply consider that during the same time, life spans increased and human mortality dropped. Between 1800 and 1950, the proportion of the world’s population living in dire poverty halved; from 1950 to 1980 it halved again. What occurred is the very definition of what it means to be responsible.

No doubt some environmental impacts could occur and that they would naturally be mixed. These are called tradeoffs. Increased energy use driven by increased productivity (e.g., tractors) did increase greenhouse gas emissions, for example. But further technological advances (more fuel-efficient engines, or alternative power sources) mitigated those effects, and recent studies indicate that these positive trends are increasing. This is a recurring pattern.

The most frustrating thing I see in Laudate Deum is the lost opportunity it represents. There is no end to the plethora of studies, books, papers, and articles produced by the scientific community on the challenges presented by economic growth and its impact on the environment. Indeed, the pope cites many of them in his exhortation. What is sadly missing, however, and the unique contribution the pope might have made, comes from his own competency – what economists call comparative advantage. The pope’s competency is not climate change science; it is moral inspiration, which his letter lacks.

This is ironic in that the solution that the pope seeks ultimately comes down to this very competency: converting the moral environment, whether it be that of the "technocratic paradigm" that he condemns (that is the private market economy working out the solutions to the problem of scarcity without a moral vision of the whole), or the political remedy seen in the sequence of climate conferences for which he holds great hope and enumerates -- yet he admits that these efforts have largely failed.

It is bewildering to see the head of a 2,000-year-old institution, one with ample experience in human moral development, which built the most effective and ameliorative institutions the world has ever seen (e.g., organized and international charity, the university, the hospital and more), settling instead for the rhetoric of a mid-level NGO white paper.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The text has been generally well-received by climate activists, but has proven controversial in the United States, because of its claim that “emissions per individual in the United States are about two times greater than those of individuals living in China, and about seven times greater than the average of the poorest countries.”

Credit: “Emissions Gap Report 2022,” United Nations Energy Program.

While the document’s footnotes said that data came from a 2022 United Nations Report, the report itself showed that U.S. per capita emissions are less than 1.5 times that of China — and that China’s per capita emissions levels — which some thought were framed as laudatory — are significantly higher than the global average.

:scratch:

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be honest, I've gotten to the point where every time I hear anything about "climate change", "global warming", "greenhouse gases", "tipping points", "warmest on record", or any of the other buzzwords used by the media or the climatistas, I simply switch off. I get tired of hearing about it and constantly being beaten over the head with it. There isn't a cotton-pickin' thing I can do about it, and anything that I do isn't going to make one whit of difference one way or the other, so why should I bother to get all worked up into a froth about it?
As soon as any report says, "The environmental watchdog group 'Crises я Us' testified at a climate change hearing at the UN today, saying that...." I switch it off. I just move on. I have enough problems to deal with that I can actually do something about without wasting time on something that is totally out of my control.

And as for Bergoglio's hand-wringing, maybe somebody should remind him that God, not man, is still in charge of this rock, and He will be faithful to His people who are on it, and will protect them no matter what He decides to do with the rock itself. The present world is, after all, passing away, as St. Paul clearly told us in 1 Corinthians 7:31. Who are we to say that "climate change" isn't His way of gradually introducing the Parousia?

Upvote 0