Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In this episode, Trent breaks down the recent controversy surrounding Pope Francis’s remarks about civil unions and gives us some tips for defending the Church’s teaching on marriage.

Speaker 1:

Welcome to the Council of Trent podcast, a production of Catholic Answers.

Trent:

Francesco, a newly released documentary on the life and ministry of Pope Francis, has made global headlines because the film contains a scene in which Pope Francis calls for the passage of civil union laws for same-sex couples. So begins an article in the Catholic News Agency on the recent controversy this week related to Pope Francis. We’re going to jump into that controversy today, talk about it and also talk about how do we communicate the church’s teaching on marriage, so-called same-sex marriage, civil unions, in a culture that is very, very, very hostile to those teachings. Welcome to the Council of Trent podcast. I’m your host, Catholic Answers apologist and speaker Trent Horn. And when I first heard about this, I actually got a call from a friend. He called me and he said, “Trent, do you know what’s going on with Pope Francis?” And I was driving up to Oceanside to film for our Catholic Answers School of Apologetics. I’m actually filming a new course. I just finished filming a new course this week called How to Argue Against Abortion.

Trent:

And so he called me and said, “I saw on the news, Pope Francis is saying we need civil unions. Do you know anything about that?” And I was like, “Oh. Oh, goodness, what’s going on now?” So I pop on my phone at the traffic light, and I’m scrolling through the newsfeed trying to get a sense of all this. And I finally made it up to the studio and then got on my phone and looked at a few things related to it and then posted just a brief comment on Twitter to give my thoughts before I hopped into the studio to film this course.

Trent:

But now it’s been a few days and we have some more information that’s come in, so I want to go through all of it. And then I want to talk about how do we defend the church’s teachings on these important issues? Let me read through an article by JD Flynn and then I’ll offer some commentary and some other points that aren’t included in the article. So this is what Flynn writes over at Catholic News Agency. Some activists and media reports have suggested that Pope Francis has changed Catholic teaching by his remarks. Among many Catholics, the Pope’s comments have raised questions about what the Pope really said, what it means and what the church teaches about civil unions and marriage. Catholic News Agency looks at those questions.

Continued below.
Pope Francis, Same-Sex “Marriage”, and Civil Unions