Pope Francis' Brave Progressive Stances on Immigration, Climate Change, and Terrorism

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmmmmmm......

there is no such thing as Islamic terrorism?

Pardon?

Here is what the Pope said (From the article):

Francis also repeated his warning against describing terrorism as Islamic, another major theme of Mr. Trump’s campaign.

“Christian terrorism does not exist, Jewish terrorism does not exist, and Muslim terrorism does not exist. They do not exist,” Francis wrote.

“There are fundamentalist and violent individuals in all peoples and religions—and with intolerant generalizations they become stronger because they feed on hate and xenophobia,” he continued.

Mr. Trump repeatedly criticized his predecessor for refusing to label acts of terror committed by Muslims “radical Islamic terrorism,” a phrase he has used often since his election.

“By confronting terror with love, we work for peace,” the pope wrote.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not following.

Perhaps i am misunderstanding what is being said about Islamic terrorism?
This is the relevant part

“Christian terrorism does not exist, Jewish terrorism does not exist, and Muslim terrorism does not exist. They do not exist,” Francis wrote.

“There are fundamentalist and violent individuals in all peoples and religions—and with intolerant generalizations they become stronger because they feed on hate and xenophobia,” he continued."

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This is the relevant part

“There are fundamentalist and violent individuals in all peoples and religions—and with intolerant generalizations they become stronger because they feed on hate and xenophobia,” he continued."

That's what i do not understand.

Not sure what that means, that Muslim/Islam terrorism "does not exist"...that there is no such thing as "Islamic terrorism"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Pope Francis to activists: Stand with migrants, do not deny climate science, there is no such thing as ‘Islamic terrorism’

Ummmmm.....

in reading the article that is posted, and consequently the title of this thread, is it saying that Pope Francis is political in that he is a politically progressive agent?

In addition, the author of the article (Michael J. O'Loughlin), said "migrants", and not "refugees".

There is a difference.

A crucial one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
in reading the article that is posted, and consequently the title of this thread, is it saying that Pope Francis is political in that he is a politically progressive agent?

No, its saying that he's preaching the Gospel of Jesus, which is progressive.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's what i do not understand.

Not sure what that means, that Muslim/Islam terrorism "does not exist"...that there is no such thing as "Islamic terrorism"?

The point is that all religions have their extremists, but extremists do not reflect the values of their religion as practiced in a more generalized sense. Just as crusades and inquisitions don't reflect what Christianity stands for, terrorism doesn't reflect what Islam stands for. No religion looks good when judged against the worst things done in its name. There was a Christian who was also a terrorist who shot up innocent people praying in a mosque in Canada recently just because they were Muslim, but that guy doesn't reflect Christianity at its best, just as terrorists who happen to be Muslim don't reflect Islam at its best.

All the major religions have a lot of people who see their religion as teaching them peace, and who lead peaceful lives and advocate for peace. The people who commit violence in the name of any religon are getting their religion wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The point is that all religions have their extremists, but extremists do not reflect the values of their religion as practiced in a more generalized sense. Just as crusades and inquisitions don't reflect what Christianity stands for, terrorism doesn't reflect what Islam stands for. No religion looks good when judged against the worst things done in its name. There was a Christian terrorist who shot up innocent people praying in a mosque in Canada recently just because they were Muslim, but that guy doesn't reflect Christianity at its best, just as terrorists who happen to be Muslim don't reflect Islam at its best.

There is controversy regarding Islam as a religion.

Regarding the Mosque in Canada and the alleged "shooter" at said Mosque, there is also controversy regarding who the perpetrator(s) actually were and the person in custody currently, whether to charge him with "terrorism" and if he is in fact the perpetrator, and the curious fact re: why he has not been charged with "terrorism" yet (unless i am mistaken).

Lots of unanswered questions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think I basically said what I wanted to say. :)

Not clear on what you meant regarding the comment about Jesus being a "progressive"?

Perhaps i am not understanding what you mean by "progressive".

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There is controversy regarding Islam as a religion.

Not according to this Pope, the second Vatican Council, or the Pope at the time of Vatican II, there isn't.

This is the Church's teaching on Islam:

"3. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

"Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom."

Source: Nostra aetate

Regarding the Mosque in Canada and the alleged "shooter" at said Mosque, there is also controversy regarding who the perpetrator(s) actually were and the person in custody currently, whether to charge him with "terrorism" and if he is in fact the perpetrator, and the curious fact re: why he has not been charged with "terrorism" yet (unless i am mistaken).

Lots of unanswered questions.

Prime Minister of Canada:

"We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge."

Source: Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on the fatal shooting in the city of Québec

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Not according to this Pope, the second Vatican Council, or the Pope at the time of Vatican II, there isn't.

This is the Church's teaching on Islam:

"3. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

"Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom."

Source: Nostra aetate

Prime Minister of Canada:

"We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge."

Source: Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on the fatal shooting in the city of Québec

For clarification, is this stating that Allah is the God of the Bible? Did i read this wrong?

Re: the PM of Canada, he hasn't brought clarification to the questions still existing regarding the details of that shooting in the Mosque, as of this writing, unless i am mistaken, as the many questions and discrepancies have not been clarified.

Unless you have an update?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
the Protestant Inquisition? :)

LOL!

Hi Paul.

Are you referring to me because i'm Protestant, since as far as i know, i'm the only Protestant on this thread, and because i have questions, that i am conducting a "Protestant Inquisition"?

Would you care to elaborate?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0