Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
We've got a tribe near here, the Pascua Yaqui who have totally assimilated Christianity into their culture.

http://www.pascuayaqui-nsn.gov/index.php

When I lived in Tucson I used to attend their Easter ceremonies, especially the attack on the church on Holy Saturday.
The Yaquis were converted to Christianity by Jesuits but when the Jesuits were expelled from the Americas they were left to themselves and developed a synthesis of Christianity and Native American religion.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I lived in Tucson I used to attend their Easter ceremonies, especially the attack on the church on Holy Saturday.
The Yaquis were converted to Christianity by Jesuits but when the Jesuits were expelled from the Americas they were left to themselves and developed a synthesis of Christianity and Native American religion.

To be more specific, they are currently a vibrant and active Catholic community while still retaining their culture.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In retrospect, while the Pope's apology came some time ago I've noticed a trend of the Christians on this forum to separate themselves from the 'sins of their fathers'. If this is true, one would have to wonder why the pope is apologizing for anything, since he, himself, probably hasn't committed any grievous sins against indigenous peoples. In a way I'm jealous of this lack of accountability. As a Catholic and as a convert no less, I've been called to account for the sins of my spiritual kin, even though I've been a member of the Church for only a short while. Instead of considering this a nuisance, I'd rather consider it a source of grace. There's nothing wrong with being attached to a historical faith community, and there's nothing wrong taking on the sins of those who came before you as your own. The Holy Father, in his apology, is calling not just Catholics, but all Christians into a deeper inter reflection of what it means to be part of a faith community that goes way beyond ourselves. My sins affect the whole of the Church, it's a shame of modern Christianity that we would attempt to be only accountable to ourselves.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Every native I have met in this area is a Christian, at least nominally. We do have quite a few card-carrying Indians, being close to the Cherokee capital of Talequah, plus a lot of Choctaws as well. I've never met a real life Indian that followed native spirituality.
Then again, I don't know any Native Catholics either. Most are Baptist, like the rest of the general population.
With all due respect, this does not surprise me, considering the amount of assimilation that is in this area. I know NDNs who are Cherokee and Choctaw from Oklahoma, but none of them have a CDIB card for various reasons and none of them are Christian. I cannot say what they think or what I honestly think of Christian influence among NDNs.
Ok. Just giving my experience. I was only referring to card-carrying tribal members. If I included non-tribal members with Cherokee blood, I don't know how much it would affect the outcome.

Of course, the Cherokee and Choctaw were two of the "Five Civilized Tribes" which were mostly Christian by the early 1800s. So it's not a surprise that they still are mostly Christians. I know their official Facebook pages also post things like Happy Easter, etc for Christian holidays.
@Tallguy88,

I did not mean to sound rude to you. I am sorry if I did.
I say, give America back to the indigenous Native American Indians?

funny-indian-native-american-quote.jpg

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In retrospect, while the Pope's apology came some time ago I've noticed a trend of the Christians on this forum to separate themselves from the 'sins of their fathers'. If this is true, one would have to wonder why the pope is apologizing for anything, since he, himself, probably hasn't committed any grievous sins against indigenous peoples. In a way I'm jealous of this lack of accountability. As a Catholic and as a convert no less, I've been called to account for the sins of my spiritual kin, even though I've been a member of the Church for only a short while. Instead of considering this a nuisance, I'd rather consider it a source of grace. There's nothing wrong with being attached to a historical faith community, and there's nothing wrong taking on the sins of those who came before you as your own. The Holy Father, in his apology, is calling not just Catholics, but all Christians into a deeper inter reflection of what it means to be part of a faith community that goes way beyond ourselves. My sins affect the whole of the Church, it's a shame of modern Christianity that we would attempt to be only accountable to ourselves.
In what way?

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As for me personally, it's too little, too late.

I don't know what popes motives are in this and I won't speculate but just saying generally that it's very easy to say sorry after all the generations who committed the actual crimes, are dead. Admitting a wrong does no harm to anyone at that point, so it's politically very easy. Saying sorry about something that happened 10-20 years ago (guess what I'm thinking?) could mean that the case has to be reopened and heads would roll.

I don't admire leaders who take the easy points by saying sorry for crimes of another generations. It's too easy. If someone wants my hat to go off, they should say sorry about their own and their own generations wrongdoings and try to fix them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshuas_My_Freedom

Put your faith in charge, not your fears!
Oct 12, 2015
✟10,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You're jealous of the lack of accountability?

What good does it do to say to a new generation, sorry our church slaughtered so many of your ancestors, all these generations later? The testimony of Christ and his directions for the relationship that was suppose to be generated with the spread of his good news didn't include genocide as a means of sending that message.
That's not what Jesus intended, slaughtering people who didn't convert.
Christ's message was extant before the Apostles and their heirs set their feet to the first step in delivering the good news.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I know about this. There's a rather heated discussion about it in the OBOB forum. As for me personally, it's too little, too late.
On the other hand, he hasn't apologized to the rest of us, so maybe you should feel a bit more positive about the news.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In what way?

You can see it right here in this thread, Steve. There seems to be a serious detachment between the individual believer and the historical Church.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You're jealous of the lack of accountability?

What good does it do to say to a new generation, sorry our church slaughtered so many of your ancestors, all these generations later? The testimony of Christ and his directions for the relationship that was suppose to be generated with the spread of his good news didn't include genocide as a means of sending that message.
That's not what Jesus intended, slaughtering people who didn't convert.
Christ's message was extant before the Apostles and their heirs set their feet to the first step in delivering the good news.

Except I don't think the pope was apologizing for the hyperbole your perpetuating.

I'm sorry, but there's so much misinformation being circulated about the Catholic Church by our separated brethren it's hard to take your post seriously.

Still, your disconnect from historical Christianity has been noted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
On the other hand, he hasn't apologized to the rest of us, so maybe you should feel a bit more positive about the news.

Probably because there's not a lot of Anglicans in Bolivia to apologize to.

That aside, St. John Paul II did make a famous apology for the 'over-zealousness' of our spiritual kin though it's gone largely ignored and unaccepted. Given the detachment that modern day protestants have with the historical Church I'm not sure why he felt compelled to do so.

I've also noted that in spite of the many transgressions committed against Catholics by our separated brethren no apology has been issued nor do I expect one to be forthcoming. Perhaps this is another symptom of individual Christians feeling like their only accountable to themselves, but it gives me pause to question, if an apology were to be issued, who would give it? It doesn't matter, I've already forgiven you guys anyway.

In spite of current thought, the Catholic Church isn't the only Christian body which can be implicated in it's role during the conquest of the Americas. Yet, as far as I can tell, no leader of a protestant denomination has been begging for forgiveness, nor imploring his/her congregation to do the same. No, the sins of the fathers don't seem to be any cause of any deeper reflection within the protestant tradition.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what popes motives are in this and I won't speculate but just saying generally that it's very easy to say sorry after all the generations who committed the actual crimes, are dead. Admitting a wrong does no harm to anyone at that point, so it's politically very easy. Saying sorry about something that happened 10-20 years ago (guess what I'm thinking?) could mean that the case has to be reopened and heads would roll.

I don't admire leaders who take the easy points by saying sorry for crimes of another generations. It's too easy. If someone wants my hat to go off, they should say sorry about their own and their own generations wrongdoings and try to fix them.

If Pope Francis was doing this to just score political points, why did he go on to canonize Junipero Serra? This proves to me he isn't going to something just to be politically correct.

And, in case you haven't noticed, heads are rolling under this pontiff.

Upvote 0