Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know about this. There's a rather heated discussion about it in the OBOB forum. As for me personally, it's too little, too late.
Greetings. I tried to mssg you and post on yer board but you must have them disabled?
You might be interested in this thread on the GT concerning canonization of a Saint and how the NAI view it.

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/popes-canon-misfires.7914349/page-3#post-68807169

On Wednesday Pope Francis canonized Junipero Serra, a Spanish missionary, a moment of deep pride for Latinos but a source of controversy for many Native Americans.

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know about this. There's a rather heated discussion about it in the OBOB forum. As for me personally, it's too little, too late.

Nothing is too little, too late. A native American Pastor told me that he and his brothers used to drank till they can't get up. Their Aunt is a Christian and she kept praying for them, pouring "Holy oil" on their head when they are too drunk to move, and later on all of them became Christians and he even became a pastor.

Our Church send missions to work with him every year, the condition is bad but they are very happy. The work is not always easy, one of the boy got drunk and beat the crap out of his girl friend before the end of a mission, the Pastor is getting old and want fresh blood to help him out. We pray that more and more native people who has drink problems change to new person in the love of Christ.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can you give us a link to that discussion thread? Thks.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nothing is too little, too late. A native American Pastor told me that he and his brothers used to drank till they can't get up. Their Aunt is a Christian and she kept praying for them, pouring "Holy oil" on their head when they are too drunk to move, and later on all of them became Christians and he even became a pastor.

Our Church send missions to work with him every year, the condition is bad but they are very happy. The work is not always easy, one of the boy got drunk and beat the crap out of his girl friend before the end of a mission, the Pastor is getting old and want fresh blood to help him out. We pray that more and more native people who has drink problems change to new person in the love of Christ.
AMEN!
What percentage of Native American Indians are Christian?

4e84ebe51a2c709a26bc069ebbcfe039.jpg
images

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I sincerely hope that I did not sound too harsh or critical of Christianity, because that was not my intent. If I offended any Christian by what I shared in my previous post, then I apologize. I am not trying to grind an axe and unfairly criticize Christianity or Christians. I was only sharing what I know to be true on the issue being discussed.
It's understandable how your people might feel about what happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Every native I have met in this area is a Christian, at least nominally. We do have quite a few card-carrying Indians, being close to the Cherokee capital of Talequah, plus a lot of Choctaws as well. I've never met a real life Indian that followed native spirituality.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
With all due respect, this does not surprise me, considering the amount of assimilation that is in this area. I know NDNs who are Cherokee and Choctaw from Oklahoma, but none of them have a CDIB card for various reasons and none of them are Christian. I will not say what they think or what I honestly think of Christian influence among NDNs.
Ok. Just giving my experience. I was only referring to card-carrying tribal members. If I included non-tribal members with Cherokee blood, I don't know how much it would affect the outcome.

Of course, the Cherokee and Choctaw were two of the "Five Civilized Tribes" which were mostly Christian by the early 1800s. So it's not a surprise that they still are mostly Christians. I know their official Facebook pages also post things like Happy Easter, etc for Christian holidays.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
AMEN!
What percentage of Native American Indians are Christian?

4e84ebe51a2c709a26bc069ebbcfe039.jpg
images

I would very much like to see the actual Supreme Court decision alluded to here. Does anyone have a link to it? It strikes me as strange given the fact that the US Congress, less than a generation earlier, was stating emphatically that the US was not a Christian nation.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
An aside: It's interesting; as a white person I still think of Christianity as a "white man's religion". It's probably the millennium of European cultural influence with the religion.

I do think that this message from the Pope is hard to follow with the canonization of Serra which I think means that the Spanish colonization and annihilation of natives was at least tacitly approved. I understand the skepticism, from an outsider's opinion.

Upvote 0