Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you're a Christian and/or you believe the words of the gospel of John, is there a grammatical or any other reason to assert John 1:29 only applies to humans?

That's an interesting thought. We know that sin has affected the entire creation, not just human beings.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
It's really no shocker that the secular world loves the newest Pope. He's sinking the Catholic Church!

More like he's turning it into something God might actually not mind. You know, an institution built on the teachings of Jesus and not legalism, power, elitism, and corruption?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
More like he's turning it into something God might actually not mind. You know, an institution built on the teachings of Jesus and not legalism, power, elitism, and corruption?

Being built on Jesus is something radically different than what the pope keeps proposing.

I'm glad he's not my spokesperson.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What has he proposed that is radically different than Jesus' teachings?

Oh, the fact that you don't have to believe in God, the fact that non-believers can be good without God, the idea that we shouldn't tell sinners they're sinning...

I could go on, but I think that's a pretty good example.

He is opening the wide road. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be on the wide road.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Except he never actually said those things.

He did, but this isn't the thread to debate it.

I stand by what I wrote.

I get that he was being "comforting" to this little boy, but we can't say with certainty if pets/animals will be in heaven or not. It's a nice thought, sure, but it's on the shelf next to the "heaven just got another angel" thought process.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
He did, but this isn't the thread to debate it.

I stand by what I wrote.
Ok, but what you wrote is wrong. Read the interpretations of his statements. He never said atheists go to Heaven without accepting Jesus. He was speaking of redemption and good works, not Salvation.

I get that he was being "comforting" to this little boy, but we can't say with certainty if pets/animals will be in heaven or not. It's a nice thought, sure, but it's on the shelf next to the "heaven just got another angel" thought process.
It would be kind of odd to have animals in Eden but not in the New Heaven would it not?

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ok, but what you wrote is wrong. Read the interpretations of his statements. He never said atheists go to Heaven without accepting Jesus. He was speaking of redemption and good works, not Salvation.

It would be kind of odd to have animals in Eden but not in the New Heaven would it not?

Indeed, but I think the problem is whether those animals would be new animals created by God, or if they had previous lives here on Earth.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Does anyone else have a response for this assertion?
A response to whether animals go to heaven based on if they posses a soul or not?

Oh yeah... I have a response to that but I doubt you'd like to hear it.

I can't believe adult human beings would seriously debate whether animals go to heaven or not. But then again, I can't believe any adult would seriously believe in heaven.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A response to whether animals go to heaven based on if they posses a soul or not?

I can't believe adult human beings would seriously debate whether animals go to heaven or not. But then again, I can't believe any adult would seriously believe in heaven.

The assertion that the idea of animals not having souls is a product of "fanatical conservatism". I can't see what one has to do with the other.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The assertion that the idea of animals not having souls is a product of "fanatical conservatism". I can't see what one has to do with the other.

I would have to agree with you here, Inka. I don't see how this is a "conservative/liberal" kind of thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would have to agree with you here, Inka. I don't see how this is a "conservative/liberal" kind of thing.

I didn't think so... nice to get some confirmation.

Upvote 0
W

WindStaff

Do you have anything to back up this claim? I've heard various people throughout my life express a belief that pets don't go to heaven, but no one that I'd call "fanatically conservative".

Does anyone else have a response for this assertion?

I won't be able to back up that claim because the only way it can be found is by looking. Go to an outback church somewhere and beliefs just like animals not having souls will pour out along with hundreds of other arbitrary conclusions.

I don't know why you are all about the subject of discrimination rather then theology, but I do not have any appeal to your feelings on such matters. Do not challenge me on things you basically will refuse to acknowledge no matter what I say.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,604.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you are not a believer then this is not an issue for you.

Think the pope is on good grounds here and whatever you think about the authority he has i see him using it to good effect here and provoking even secular people to see and ask a little more.

The new Creation would be pretty empty without the full range of Gods restored creations.
The biblical reason I believe animals will share the afterlife with us is the account of the genocide in Canaan. The animals in that culture were considered to have been so integrated into the wickedness of that culture that they were wiped out with their owners. So if God commanded this what about when the opposite is true. When a pet is the recipient of so much love and even learns to show love back then I cannot see why a God whose character is love would sever the link in eternity. The account of Baalam seems to indicate that sometimes animals see things that humans do not and can even be used to rebuke humans. Also isn't the ark of Noah a sort of model of animal salvation

As to what is meant by an animal having a soul I am not sure if we can say that in the same way humans have a soul. Animals for all their beauty are not made in Gods image. So while I believe animals may share in eternal life I am an annihilationist regarding those whom God will not raise. They will neither burn or continue to exist.

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
News update, Nope, Pope Francis Didn't Say Dogs Were Going to Heaven

(RNS) When Pope Francis recently sought to comfort a distraught boy whose dog had died, the pontiff took the sort of pastoral approach he is famous for — telling the youngster not to worry, that he would one day see his pet in heaven.

“Paradise is open to all of God’s creatures,” Francis said reassuringly.

It was a sparkling moment on a rainy November day, and the setting in St. Peter’s Square only burnished Francis’ reputation as a kindly “people’s pope.” The story naturally lit up social media, became instant promotional material for vegetarians and animal rights groups, and on Friday even made it to the front page of The New York Times.

There’s only one problem: none of it ever happened.

Sorry, Fido. Pope Francis did NOT say our pets are going to heaven - Religion News Service

Upvote 0