서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I admire the Pope's stance. Middle Eastern Christians are being largely overlooked -- I am not sure as to why. Probably because the sporadic violence that occurs is what the media would term 'Arab on Arab' crime and thus not as consequential to Westerners because at the end of the day if there are no dead Westerners most people shrug.

The persecution of Christians within the Islamic world is something worth noting -- it is also something that indicates the current political and cultural immaturity of the ME as a whole to still persecute blatantly based on these lines.

It is because of things like this that I become more skeptical of whether or not democracy can work in the ME. Sometimes, if the people really do get what they want, it means misery for the minority.

Someone once said: Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what is for dinner.

NICOSIA, Cyprus – The Vatican said Sunday that the international community is ignoring the plight of Christians in the Middle East, and that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the war in Iraq and political instability in Lebanon have forced thousands to flee the region.

A working paper released during Pope Benedict XVI's pilgrimage to Cyprus to prepare for a crisis summit of Middle East bishops in Rome in October also cites the "extremist current" unleashed by the rise of "political Islam" as a threat to Christians.

The paper said that the line between religion and politics is blurred in Muslim countries, "relegating Christians to the precarious position of being considered non-citizens, despite the fact that they were citizens of their countries long before the rise of Islam."

Yahoo

Reactions: mindlight

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I admire the Pope's stance. Middle Eastern Christians are being largely overlooked -- I am not sure as to why. Probably because the sporadic violence that occurs is what the media would term 'Arab on Arab' crime and thus not as consequential to Westerners because at the end of the day if there are no dead Westerners most people shrug.

The persecution of Christians within the Islamic world is something worth noting -- it is also something that indicates the current political and cultural immaturity of the ME as a whole to still persecute blatantly based on these lines.

It is because of things like this that I become more skeptical of whether or not democracy can work in the ME. Sometimes, if the people really do get what they want, it means misery for the minority.

Someone once said: Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what is for dinner.

Yahoo

The persecution of Christians in the Middle east has been a growing problem ever since the European Imperial powers left having burdened these guys with their unhelpful friendship. Israel did not help in 1982 with its invasion of Lebanon. 850,000 Christians left there in the hornets nest that was stirred up after that. Also most Palestinians are now Muslims and the Christian ones have emigrated. Though I notice more Jews are becoming Christians in Israel.

Indeed so many have left I am starting to wonder if the Middle east is not being emptied for a darker purpose. As with Sodom and Gomorrah - "Lord will you spare the city if there are only 10 righteous people left in it." Well if all the Christians leave then I think we are looking at a big judgment being prepared for the place- maybe a nuclear holocaust - I do hope not!!!

Upvote 0
May 26, 2009
Denver
✟15,265.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
yeah man prayers to those christians. its rough out there. Makes me laugh when I hear some one in the USA saying that we're persecuted.

Its also cool to see the pope reach out like this. hes doesnt have to politically speaking- but he is right about what he is saying

LovE and PrayerS they have rewards on the way. God Bless.

Upvote 0