Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
YahwehLove said:
huh interesting

I wonder why God created ONE woman for Adam?

It makes perfect sense that Adam was given only one wife from whom all mankind came forth. Think about racism as it is today and historically. Now consider the added dynamic of all mankind having originated from more than one woman, and you have compounded the reasons behind racism that may very well have spelled the doom of mankind long ago.

Don

Upvote 0

Swordman007

Truth Seeker
Dec 12, 2004
✟802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ab1385 said:
The thing that I find interesting is that all the verses used to show monogamy is correct would be just as able to say that 'singleness is wrong'...

That is one among many extremes to which some push the scriptures without understanding the resulting impilcations.

Don

Upvote 0

Swordman007

Truth Seeker
Dec 12, 2004
✟802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
tqpix said:
Exodus 20:14Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Deuteronomy 5:18Neither shalt thou commit adultery.

Here we go again. :doh: Those who believe polygyny to be adultery are essentially condemning the Patriarchs to the pits of Hell, which therefore reflects such people's gross lack of understanding of the biblical definition of adultery.

Dr. Don Dean

Upvote 0

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What about this one from Romans 7:3:

Romans 7:3 said:
So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
This clearly says that if a person who already has a spouse be married to another person, then it's adultery.

Upvote 0

Swordman007

Truth Seeker
Dec 12, 2004
✟802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
tqpix said:

This clearly says that if a person who already has a spouse be married to another person, then it's adultery.

Taken in isolation from all the other verses that deal with divorce, then this would slap a restriction against what even Jesus said. I hope it was not your intent to try and apply this as a stand alone verse. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

In relation to the biblical definition of adultery, it is defined as a man desiring and having sexual relations with another man's wife. There is another aspect of this issue that I know would violate the intellectual and social sensibilities of many, so I will leave that alone for now, unless someone wants to really push this term to more extremes than what is biblically credible.

Don

Upvote 0

Apollo Rhetor

Apr 19, 2003
✟15,952.00
Faith
Protestant
tqpix said:

As I said before, the Bible explicitly prohibits women from taking a second husband - in verses just like this. Men however are not prohibited from doing so.

Upvote 0

Swordman007

Truth Seeker
Dec 12, 2004
✟802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ClaireZ said:
I have been following a thread in the philosophy/morality section, where some are advocating polygamy for Christians.

As I recall, the issue was the morality of polygyny, not that it is something to be practiced by Christians in general.

They claim since it was practiced in the OT, that it is still ok today.

I do not recall anyone relying upon its being in the OT as a support for its acceptance by the Lord. Who made such a weak argument?

Don Dean

Upvote 0

Dad Ernie

Nov 28, 2003
Salem, Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟2,980.00
Faith
Protestant
Swordman007 said:
Really? Then why did the Lord identify Himself with polygyny with Israel and Judah being His wives (plural) if He is opposed to it? Why did He give David a plurality of wives if it is not acceptable for a man to have more than one? Why did the Lord make governing provision for a man to have more than one wife in His Law if He is opposed to it? To say that it is only man's doing is to ignore the obvious declarations, actions, and imagry put forth by the Lord Himself.

Greetings Swordman,

How about supporting the contention that God made provisions for a man to have more than one wife with scripture?

By your statement, it is apparent you have neither studied nor understand the "covenants" which God has instituted with mankind. You are attempting to justify your own view and not God's.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Upvote 0

Swordman007

Truth Seeker
Dec 12, 2004
✟802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dad Ernie said:
Greetings Swordman,

Hello. :wave:

How about supporting the contention that God made provisions for a man to have more than one wife with scripture?

You mean to say that you are not aware of where the Law makes governing provision for this, or where it commands the taking of a subsequent wife in certain instances?

By your statement, it is apparent you have neither studied nor understand the "covenants" which God has instituted with mankind. You are attempting to justify your own view and not God's.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

So, are you saying that Jesus, when He said that He did not come to destroy the Law, much less replace it, was not completely accurate in His statements? Do you believe that He made a change to the very groundwork of His moral absolutes? Are you aware of the implications of such a belief?

Don

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 11, 2004
✟9,548.00
Faith
Baptist
personally, i don't want two wives. i don't understand everything in the bible. i can't always work out what god means. i do know that God is happy for me to take a wife.

maybe that'll change one day. but i have more important things to worry about.

and whoever said we are sending people to hell, "all have sinned." and many polygamists sinned in thier polygyny.

Upvote 0

Mikhail

Jan 29, 2005
Melbourne
✟15,989.00
Faith
Messianic
one wife...well would you beleive that in the Aramaic texts it actually uses the word first wife...sorry if this does not fit your doctrinal bias. Historically it was the culture of Greco/Roman paganism that allowed on one legal wife according to greek and roman law.

Translation facts
#1 The greek texts use very poor greek grammar an strong sign of texts translated by someone who's native language is not greek.
#2 The Hebrew and Aramaic texts are written in very well written grammar.

IF we do accept the scripture as being translated as first wife this fits in with the teaching of Yeshua that a man not put his wife away but for fornication and he then clarified that Moses permitted a bill of divorce because their hears were hard ie they would not forgive the transgressions of their wives. Putting Away and Bill of Divorce are seperate issues jusat like our current seperation and divorce are seperate legal status' under current secular law in the west.

In summary Paul is saying do not appoint a man who has put away his first wife, but a man who leads his family well and can demonstrate love, forgiveness and leads his family well.
Mikhail

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.