Poll - Once Saved Always Saved

Do you believe in the doctrine of Once Saved, Always Saved?

• No, I don't believe in the doctrine of Once Saved Always Saved.

• Yes, I do believe in the doctrine of Once Saved Always Saved.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Voted No, but then the answer really depends as the former poster suggests in what is meant by terms.

At the heart of this question Protestants and those holding anything like the Catholic view talk past each other because our focus is not the same. We are closer in agreement than either side would care to admit.

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The scriptures do not teach Eternal Insecurity.

The scriptures teach that when a believer is at death's door, they know they are saved. God does not leave us hanging wondering if we're going to pass His judgment. What a horrible way to go out.

Upvote 0

HighwayMan

Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The scriptures do not teach Eternal Insecurity.

The scriptures teach that when a believer is at death's door, they know they are saved. God does not leave us hanging wondering if we're going to pass His judgment. What a horrible way to go out.

It depends on what exactly "know" means. We can be fully convinced, yes, but before we've crossed over to the other side God does not intervene and somehow give us divine knowledge. Even in our last moments it all depends on the strength of our faith. At least that's how I see it.

Upvote 0

BelongsToGod

Feb 6, 2006
✟157.00
Faith
Christian
Absolutely, we have assurance of salvation in Christ, but we will not have metaphysical certitude until we stand before Christ.

Amen!!! Tell it Brother! That's exactly right. We have confidence in Jesus Christ to keep His word as we keep His word. Will the Father forgive you if you refuse to forgive others?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was raised in a FWB church, so consequently I was raised believing you can lose your salvation. After leaving that church, and finding my own answers, I have found that OSAS is flawed, and against scripture, and I was raised believing the right thing.

Upvote 0

CShephard53

Somebody shut me up so I can live out loud!
Mar 15, 2007
✟13,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was raised in a FWB church, so consequently I was raised believing you can lose your salvation. After leaving that church, and finding my own answers, I have found that OSAS is flawed, and against scripture, and I was raised believing the right thing.
Again, wonderful claim. Where is your backing? You say it is against Scripture. What, according to Scripture, is salvation?

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chill bro, he said he found his own answers.
You know what that means.;)
But seriously,... it means it took him a journey, and it sounds kinda like OSAS was just a rest stop on that journey, so give him a chance to 'splain, 'cause you know this will otherwise just lead to more disagreement over interpreting verses & words, right?
Explore his present state.
For example, does he feel more secure not being secure?^_^

Upvote 0

CShephard53

Somebody shut me up so I can live out loud!
Mar 15, 2007
✟13,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Chill bro, he said he found his own answers.
You know what that means.;)
But seriously,... it means it took him a journey, and it sounds kinda like OSAS was just a rest stop on that journey, so give him a chance to 'splain, 'cause you know this will otherwise just lead to more disagreement over interpreting verses & words, right?
Explore his present state.
For example, does he feel more secure not being secure?^_^
I'm just asking questions, mind you. Very weighted questions, but questions nonetheless. No claims yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IAlsoBelieve

Dec 19, 2006
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The doctrine of Eternal Security which postulates Once Saved Always Saved is only held by a very small minority of Reformed Christians, even on this forum where evangelicals are a much larger percentage then in the total population, because it is simply not supported by Scripture.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm just asking questions, mind you. Very weighted questions, but questions nonetheless. No claims yet.
I respect that.
This issue is intimately related to other doctrines that define identity of Jesus Christ & His "body" the "church", or my personal favorites, the ecclesia, the elect.
Reform Christians defend the doctrines of election & grace in the Soteriology forum.
The Semper Reformanda forum is a good place to ask questions for Reform view answers.
One Bread One Body is the Catholic forum.

In this forum you might accidently start a free for all.
It can resemble a mosh pit sometimes.
If you make friends with those who disagree with you, you get to disagree with them a whole lot more & it can be fun.
You don't wanna be flip, but if you take yourself too seriously, you can develop a condition called "reflexive sanctimony".:cool:

Upvote 0

thecherb

Nov 24, 2006
✟7,667.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Personally, it's hard to me to say which of those I believe, but lately I tend to think that OSAS is not true. I just can't get over the fact that after we are "saved" or whatever you want to call it, we still sin. In other words, we are still tempted (and still fall to it). In even more other words, it means that our enemy is still trying to make us fall. If that doctrine of OSAS is indeed true, why wouldn't the enemy focus his attention solely elsewhere (on non-Christians), on where his purpose may still be fulfilled?

Reactions: Silentchapel
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.