Poll: Bishop John Shelby Spong and orthodoxy?

Is Bishop Spong within the realm of orthodoxy?

• Yes

• No

• Other (please explain)

• Undecidid

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Other.

While he definitely has said and believes in a lot of hereodoxies, he is quite often a misunderstood man. For that, he has my sympathies.

The fact that he constantly struggles with the Nicene Creed shows that he has more faith than perhaps everyone on CF even has.

Upvote 0

benedictine

No Surrender, No desertion - Whatever Happens.
Nov 1, 2003
a round blue, brown and green sphere, floating in
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
PaladinValer said:
Other.

While he definitely has said and believes in a lot of hereodoxies, he is quite often a misunderstood man. For that, he has my sympathies.

The fact that he constantly struggles with the Nicene Creed shows that he has more faith than perhaps everyone on CF even has.

how so?:scratch:

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
PaladinValer said:
Other.

So it's not a matter of either/or? One can be partially within orthodoxy?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inge87

I sing a song of the saints of God...
Jul 11, 2004
Flower Mound, Tx (DFW)
✟2,553.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
holyshe said:
THIS SOUNDS INTERESTING BUT WHO THE HECK IS Bishop John Shelby Spong NEVER HEARD OF HIM? :sigh:
IT MAY SOUND SILLY BUT IS HE A BRITISH BISHOP OR WHAT?

I KNOW IT MAKES ME SOUND THICK BUT I DONT EVER PRETEND TO KNOW EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING!
:scratch:
FROM CONFUSED
HOLYSHE XX
Bishop Spong is retired American Episcopal bishop. He holds to some views of Christianity that are intersting to say the least.

Here's some more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shelby_Spong
http://www.dioceseofnewark.org/jsspong/jssbiog.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He is heterodox. However, a lot of what he says is misunderstood to be heterodox when it really probably isn't.

He's more complex than a simple label of "heretical." Then again, so were a great deal of heretics. Take Tertullian; the man apostated to Montanism, but boy oh boy was he, even then, an ardent defender of the Truth of the Blessed Trinity.

And even St. Augustine of Hippo argued that not all of what heretics say or teach is necessarily heretical or wrong. What is wrong is wrong, but what is truth is truth. Even the Donatist he debated with as written about in his work, On Christian Teaching, wasn't entirely wrong on everything, though he was a heretic. And St. Augustine praised that Donatist when he was right.

My point? Be careful with labels, but be even more careful on how you treat heretics.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,174.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The question is a very simple one.. it was not "is John Shelby Spong a nice guy?" or "is John Shelby Spong an honest man of integrity?" it was "Is what Bishop Spong beleives/teaches within the realm of orthodoxy".

The answer is no.

Paladin, while I really have no idea how his struggles with the nicean creed make him more faithful than anyone else.. it does clearly reveal that he is not within the realm of orthodoxy. The nicean creed is the minimum statement of sufficiency for christian orthodoxy. If you can't agree with it, you're not orthodox, no matter how nice or full of integrity you are.

Christian orthodoxy is not a judgement of ones personality, it is a standard that you either agree with, or disagree with. A wrong belief sincerely held is still a wrong belief and is still damaging to the person who holds it.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is what most of what he teaches within orthodoxy? Probably not. But do I have the heart to call him on it? No, that's not really my place.

I will say he makes my diocese look positively conservative in comparison, and we're not a conservative diocese.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.