Visit site
✟9,493.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Bloc
I am wondering: what is the current state of creationism in other countries? There's been alot said about the USA, but what about other countries?

I know that in the province of Quebec there is at least 2 creationist organizations: ASCQ (independent) and CIM (local chapter of AiG). Both are active but do not seem very interested in politics, lobbying and such. Although there are some schools that illegally teach creationism to kids.

I don't know much about ID in the rest of Canada but I'll love to have some information.

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some stuff in Australia.

Harun Yahya seems to be the big Islamic creationist. Ken Miller actually mentioned the guy in his ID talk which I posted elsewhere on this forum, and we've had a few of his supporters spam this forum.

I'm happy to report however, that most of Asia is pretty sane in regards to this topic. :)

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,759.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
My understanding of Creationism out side of the United States is that most of it comes from Islam. Their views however are closer to Intelligent Design because they believe that random actions do not occur.
[FONT=&quot]Sadly my country gave the world Ken Ham.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]There are a number of creationist groups active in Australia, they really don’t appear to have anything like the force they have in the states though.[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Bombila

Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
✟13,256.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
There are certainly creationists around the Maritimes, but they are mostly over 80, and no one is trying to have it taught in schools. Frankly I hadn't realized there could be a problem until Stockwell (Doris) Day (western Conservative politician) admitted to believing people walked with dinosaurs.

Upvote 0

RedAndy

Teapot agnostic
Dec 18, 2006
✟16,163.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I've only met one creationist in the UK, and everyone I've mentioned it to thinks he's barking. Evolution is pretty much accepted.
Count yourself lucky.

I personally know a fairly large number of Creationists (certainly in double figures), all of whom attend my college. People I talk to don't think they're nuts - a lot of responses I hear are along the lines of "well, evolution is just a theory, after all." My plan is to formally debate one of them at some point and demonstrate just how flawed their worldview is.

Upvote 0

PKJ

Aug 30, 2005
Montreal
Visit site
✟9,493.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Bloc
Anybody in or near Toronto that could tell me if Denyse O'Leary has a big impact there?

Also, she just co-wrote a book with a teacher from my University I suspected of beeing a "Wedge Document executant" as well (he did research using grants from the Templeton foundation).

Miss O'Leary is very proud of that book and talks about it all the time. < http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/ >

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
One of my friends is a creationist. But I don't talk about evolution with her any more because I find it deeply disturbing. Also off-topic are why alcohol is not inherently evil, how homosexuality is neither chosen nor wrong and the fact that not everyone that takes drugs is evil.

IIRC, one of the big businessmen funding a few of Tony Blair's city academies (don't get me started...;) ) has caused a bit of controversy by having creationism taught alongside evolution. But I could be wrong. Some group sent a pack about teaching creationism to science departments in all the schools, though. Thankfully the government have said the schools aren't allowed to teach creationism. :thumbsup:

I'm so glad not to live in America...I think I might go insane. :o I'm lucky enough to live in a country where, if a major politician believed in creationism she would be laughed at by everyone.

peace

Upvote 0

RedAndy

Teapot agnostic
Dec 18, 2006
✟16,163.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
IIRC, one of the big businessmen funding a few of Tony Blair's city academies (don't get me started...;) ) has caused a bit of controversy by having creationism taught alongside evolution. But I could be wrong.
Indeed. Sir Peter Vardy, car salesman and millionaire, has Young-Earth Creationism taught in his schools. I read about this in The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, who seems to suggest that Creationism is taught instead of evolution, not alongside - although I could be wrong about this.

Some group sent a pack about teaching creationism to science departments in all the schools, though. Thankfully the government have said the schools aren't allowed to teach creationism. :thumbsup:
I may have missed the government discouraging the teaching of Creationism, especially since they are in support of Vardy's city academies. The pack about Creationism I did pick up on, however - again Richard Dawkins has responded by pushing for the publication of outwardly atheistic textbooks!

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
IIRC, one of the big businessmen funding a few of Tony Blair's city academies (don't get me started...;) ) has caused a bit of controversy by having creationism taught alongside evolution. But I could be wrong.

Nope, you have it right. I worked with a girl who attended Emanuelle College in the north-east. Naturally I had to ask if she'd been taught creationism, and indeed she had (she laughed about it).

She is currently studying For a BSc in biology in Newcastle, so I'm thnking Mr. Vardis school failed that time.

Upvote 0