New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyways I wouldn't be too critical of them. Sure she was 8, but she doesn't have to be big and strong to kill herself.

On top of that I doubt they have special police training for dealing with 8 year old kids threatening to kill themselves.

And in that situation a person holding a knife to their chest and refusing to put it down, I can see where the book calls for tazing them.

Coming after the knife physically would only likely cause them to make good on their threats.

She's in pain, but darn it she's alive. You can't guarantee me that if an officer physically tries to take the knife from her hands that she's alive today.

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Personally...I'm speaking as someone who has been married to a cop for almost 25 years, and has raised five consecutive eight year olds. It can be difficult to take something from a TWO year old that they don't want to let go of, so just picture yourself trying to wrest a sharp knife away from an 8yr old who is not reasonable or stable to begin with, who isn't worried about hurting you or their self, and that's if you could even get your hands on the knife BEFORE they hurt their self or you! How close do you think the cop could get before she could stab herself? How effective or 'courageous' could the cop have been with a knife in his throat? Because it wouldn't have taken skill to put it there, just recklessness and bad luck. I'm so glad that people who have never had to put their lives on the line day in and day out for an ungrateful public, always know what SHOULD have been done.

My nephew is a police lieutenant. My friends husband is a cop.
I dont determine the stupidity from some on those i know.

They didnt say the child was acting rashly. She was standing there with a knife - but it doesnt say she was screaming and crying and out of control.

I am sure talking to her - would have vastly been better... cos here's the thing - could that cop live with himself later if he killed her if she went into cardiac arrest?

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
They didnt say the child was acting rashly. She was standing there with a knife - but it doesnt say she was screaming and crying and out of control.
So you think the cop just mozied over to a calm girl holding a knife to her chest and stuck her with a tazer?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Luther073082 said:
Anyways I wouldn't be too critical of them. Sure she was 8, but she doesn't have to be big and strong to kill herself.

On top of that I doubt they have special police training for dealing with 8 year old kids threatening to kill themselves.

And in that situation a person holding a knife to their chest and refusing to put it down, I can see where the book calls for tazing them.

Coming after the knife physically would only likely cause them to make good on their threats.

She's in pain, but darn it she's alive. You can't guarantee me that if an officer physically tries to take the knife from her hands that she's alive today.

My biggest concern is that a taser can kill. And small children are far more at risk of a dying from a taser than a full grown adult.

So the cop says "This little girl might kill herself. I had better stop her by using a potentially deadly weapon that could also kill her."

Makes sense.

Upvote 0

Dusky Mouse

Cats Are In Charge ~ Accept It!
Sep 25, 2013
Adelaide S.Australia
✟2,598.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He probably thought it would be the fastest way to disarm her. So, in all this, did anyone wonder why an EIGHT year old is suicidal and are people investigating her home environment...or is everyone just outraged over the cop?

Tazed is better than shot.
If cops didn't have the capacity to electrocute people they'd have as many reports of shooting them instead.
I agree, the issue isn't the cop tazed this girl. The issue is how is an 8 year old stabbing herself and threatening suicide with a knife?

I'd hope the authorities would check out her home environment after giving her a full physical to see if she's been raped, and to see what is going so very wrong with this little girls life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Tazed is better than shot.
If cops didn't have the capacity to electrocute people they'd have as many reports of shooting them instead.
I agree, the issue isn't the cop tazed this girl. The issue is how is an 8 year old stabbing herself and threatening suicide with a knife?

I'd hope the authorities would check out her home environment after giving her a full physical to see if she's been raped, and to see what is going so very wrong with this little girls life.

When i was about 8 - this girl that lived up the road had a knife and was threatening to off herself.
So i sat and talked to her - she hated her mom because she didnt let her do [this or that] and then she decided she should kill her mom.... so i reasoned with her.

Her mom and she both lived.

I told my mom - and well - that didnt go too well. I wasnt allowed to hang out with her after that. But i did - only because she needed a friend. I just didnt go to her house. :holy: She met me in the woods after that.
I never told her my mom said that - but i didnt find her crazed when she had the knife - just looking for attention.

Kids this age - want attention. Usually.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The police are out of control, militarized, feel entitled, arbitrary violent and, at the moment, don't actually serve the people they are supposedly protecting.

I blame this all on the Federal Governments decision to begin torturing it's prisoner.

Social morality flows downhill. If you can torture your prisoners, you can taze a kid.

After all it's not like they are job providers or anything important.
Absolute truth, they also routinely lie as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Another time - our next door neighbor had a daughter about age 8 - who came out with a freaking butcher knife [i was about the same age] - and threatened to start killing ppl with it.

Ya kinda just learn to ask questions and soothe the situation.

I mean seriously, i was about 8 and i understood how to diffuse these kinds of things.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Kids can be dramatic, and they're learning a lot of behaviors through stupid tv shows. My youngest son (13) has the softest heart and last school year dealt with a girl who was bulimic and a male friend who was cutting himself. His friend was in the bathroom with some kind of tool in his hand and was actually in the process of cutting himself when my son disarmed him. Of course the bulimic girl didn't have a weapon that could be taken from her, but he talked her down from her state of despair and then involved adults (in both cases). I just think that if a kid like my kid can deal with these problems just by talking, why can't the cops? My kid is not big. He's one of the shortest, skinniest kids in his grade so he wasn't scaring these kids into compliance. So, with trained cops and negotiators they have out there - why was violence necessary?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The police are out of control, militarized, feel entitled, arbitrary violent and, at the moment, don't actually serve the people they are supposedly protecting.
Sounds like the federal gov't right now. The IRS, Dept of homeland security and Forrest Services are all weaponized and mobilized against the American population, thanks to the CEO who's playing the shut down like a violin.

It's not just the cops using force, it's Smokey the Bear, too.

Upvote 0