pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
Welcome to "Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican/Old Catholic". This forum is governed by the rules of Christian Forums. Please make sure you are familiar with the latest statement of those rules, before you post in this forum.

Members and Non-Members

This is the congregational forum for members of Christian Forums who self-identify as "Anglican" or "Old Catholic". "Self-identify" means, what you would call yourself, today, if someone asked for your denomination; and is a clear affirmation. If your normal answer is "I consider myself XXX ... but I was confirmed in an Anglican church ..." or "I still go to an Old Catholic church but I've decided they're wrong and am converting to XXX..." -- or if you never were Anglican or Old Catholic -- then please limit yourself to questions and fellowship posts to avoid debating.
It is the responsibility of any non-member posting in this forum to avoid contentious topics.

Diversity of Belief

The Anglican and Old Catholic churches include many different provinces and communions worldwide who express a range of perspectives on different doctrines. Despite this breadth of thought within our Churches, and it is possible for them to coexist.
it is the expectation on this board that the diverse groups will co-exist, and do so courteously*
*(or at least with restraint from discourtesy).

What Anglicans Believe
Anglicans don't have dogma: Anglican doctrine is inferred from praxis. The norm for Anglican praxis is the Book of Common Prayer, or alternative, as authorized for your Province or communion.

Anglicanism is generally tolerant of variant forms of worship. However, variants should not be promoted as being core Anglican norms. "Accepted by some Anglicans" is a true statement that should be used instead of "is the Anglican viewpoint" for matters not supported by the majority of authorized Prayer Books.
Evidence supporting a claim that some belief or practice is fundamentally Anglican should come from a Prayer book or alternative authorized by an Anglican Province or communion.

Approved Prayer Books include the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, and also the 1928 or 1979, CW, BAS, A Prayer Book for Australia, and AAPB (and for historical discussion, ASB, 1552, 1549 and other superceded prayer books). At the same time, while one can have some certainty that the prayer book used in their province and communion represents a degree of mainstream practice for that province and communion,
your prayer book is not definitive for other provinces and is not a hammer with which to beat on one another.​
Notwithstanding our reliance on the Book of Common Prayer for our norms, I reiterate that Anglicanism is generally tolerant of variant forms of worship. A judgement that something is "Not predominantly accepted by Anglicans" should never be used to support a claim, or read as a claim, that someone or something is "unAnglican". Anglicanism includes freedom to practice pieties and hold beliefs that are not completely shared (or even commonly shared) within the rest of the communion. Recognize that this is a freedom, not a burden to place upon others. Our freedom to embrace varient practices implicitly depends on others having the freedom to choose to eschew those practices with equal passion. It's not just a matter of "if you don't like it, don't do it". One person may have as valid a reason to discourage some pet piety, as another has to promote it.

To Summarize:
  • core mainstream Anglican praxis is found in Anglican prayer books,
  • Anglicans don't have dogma. So, Anglican "official positions" must be inferred from Anglican prayer books.
  • A norm for one group should not be misrepresented as "the Anglican viewpoint".
  • Something can be "Not usual for Anglicans" without being "unAnglican".

Finally, while ideas and ideals do not need to be hidden, the discussion of them does need to be curbed. Giving free reign to any form of sarcastic wit, vilification, florid overstatement, perjoration, condemnatory oration, arrogant absolutism -- in short, to flaming and baiting -- is inappropriate. You can present your idea. You cannot beat people over the head with it or back them up against a wall with it.
You needn't restrict what you have to say, but you must restrain HOW you say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.