Please, point me to what lent has to do with the resurrection?

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where did you get the idea that the Lenten devotions are about the Resurrection??

What so you're saying lent leading up to the resurrection have nothing to do with one another?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Lent is related to the Resurrection because the Resurrection is the end of an action that started with the Crucifixion. Lent invites us to consider the reason Christ had to die and be resurrected. The purpose of the Christian seasons isn't just to go through Jesus' life chronologically, but to encourage people to think about its significance for their own lives. Hence the major celebrations -- Christmas and the Resurrection -- are preceded by times of reflection and repentance.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Lent is meant (as I understand it) as a time of preparation for Easter - a time to self examine and confront anything in your life that may be standing between you and Christ, to renew your personal commitment to Christ, and to remember why the sacrifice of Friday was needed, on a personal level.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Lent is related to the Resurrection because the Resurrection is the end of an action that started with the Crucifixion. Lent invites us to consider the reason Christ had to die and be resurrected.

But basically, Lent is related to the "had to die" part, not to the Resurrection--except as the one follows the other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lent is related to the Resurrection because the Resurrection is the end of an action that started with the Crucifixion. Lent invites us to consider the reason Christ had to die and be resurrected. The purpose of the Christian seasons isn't just to go through Jesus' life chronologically, but to encourage people to think about its significance for their own lives. Hence the major celebrations -- Christmas and the Resurrection -- are preceded by times of reflection and repentance.

These action or practices, fasting etc.. Even in there biblical sense can not be drawn directly to the Resurrection using scripture, like i said Christ's 40 days were 3 years before hand so there is no connection there.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lent is meant (as I understand it) as a time of preparation for Easter - a time to self examine and confront anything in your life that may be standing between you and Christ, to renew your personal commitment to Christ, and to remember why the sacrifice of Friday was needed, on a personal level.

seems like it should be a daily prayer request, elsewise you know people start blowing off worship in June cause it's an ordinary day...KWIM?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So lent has NO connection to Easter?
aka Resurrection day?

Everything in Jesus' life is connected to everything else in Jesus' life, if you want to put it that way, but no, Lent is about the suffering and death Jesus was to endure for us in on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday. The Resurrection, of course, was the sudden (and unexpected) reversal of all of that.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
But basically, Lent is related to the "had to die" part, not to the Resurrection--except as the one follows the other.

Thing is, these guys have asked the same questions and got the same answers; never listened the first time either.:preach:

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Everything in Jesus' life is connected to everything else in Jesus' life, if you want to put it that way, but no, Lent is about the suffering and death Jesus was to endure for us in on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday. The Resurrection, of course, was the sudden (and unexpected) reversal of all of that.

And the purpose for going back into the shadow is what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thing is, these guys have asked the same questions and got the same answers; never listened the first time either.:preach:

Don't think admins should be taking pot shots usually better to stick to the topic and not get personal as a model for others...
Cuz it's your ox in the pen you don't take that approach.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

That's true, and it's about time to say it, I agree. OTOH, and if you've noticed, our friend has shifted the point to his attack as each incorrect assumption after another has been shot down.

At one time, Lent was supposed to be unbiblical. Then it was Biblical but shouldn't be an obligation. That disposed of, it was allegedly not beneficial, even if observed voluntarily. Most recently it's supposed to be incorrectly connected to Easter (although the question asked about where this particular notion came from has gone unanswered). So, it's become sort of the objection that cannot die. ;)

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
These action or practices, fasting etc.. Even in there biblical sense can not be drawn directly to the Resurrection using scripture, like i said Christ's 40 days were 3 years before hand so there is no connection there.

I don't actually fast during Lent. It's primarily an occasion for repentance. Many find fasting a helpful discipline for that. Scripture certainly supports fasting. But I don't consider it an essential part of Lent.

Paul's most explicit treatment of the atonement is at the beginning of Rom 6. He connects the resurrection with the crucifixion, and says that we die with Christ as we are raised with him. He draws the implication that we should deal with sin in our lives. That's repentance. So I believe Rom 6 connects repentance with the Resurrection.

Trying to have the Resurrection without the crucifixion, and both without repentance is an example of what Bonhoeffer called cheap grace.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I find that Easter is less joyful without the observation of Lent. Since moving to TN we have been attending non-denoms. The first wanted nothing to do with anything they viewed as a denominational thing - no Advent, no Epiphany, no Lent, no Palm Sunday etc. Even Easter was relegated to the first half of the service and then they nailed Jesus to that cross again at sermon time. We didn't stay there too long. The one we attend now has slowly been adopting some of the old traditions, not to the extent that my Catholic friends or Methodist family observe the church calendar, but they try. Still, I miss the hymns and anthems of Lent, the focus on repentance and renewal and the whole feeling of anticipation leading up to Easter.

Upvote 0