Nanjing, China
✟70,310.00
Country
China
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes two people can hear the same thing and get totally different meanings about what is being said because they attach different meanings to the words used. When we eat corn on the cob you are sure to hear, “Please, pass the butter.” Now that sentence, “Pass the butter” is clear in its meaning with the setting of having corn on the cob at dinner time.

But, in one of the first Women’s Bible studies I ever attended we were studying in Philippians in the King James Bible. As I read “the peace of GOD which passeth all understanding” (Philippians 4:7). I thought it meant that GOD’s peace would give me understanding and thus keep me from error.

I thought, GOD’s peace passes all understanding meant it handed understanding to me, like when you say, “pass the butter.” Was I ever shocked when I learned the Greek word translated pass here did not mean hand to me but meant it would throw mindset beyond having to understand, for it surpasses all understanding.

The meaning of that word in that setting changes everything and explains so much. Instead of GOD’s peace giving me understanding, GOD’s peace guarded my heart and mind to keep me from doubts and fears when I didn’t understand as it throws me beyond having to understand. It calms me and helps me cope when things just don’t make sense.

Many times, I don’t understand, even though I pray, and I search for answers. At those times I have learned to do as GOD instructs us. “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge HIM (talk to HIM about them) and HE will direct your path (not necessarily your mind). Be not wise (having to know) in your own eyes, fear the LORD and depart from evil (Proverbs 3:5-7NKJ).

“The peace that CHRIST gives is to guide you in the decisions you make; for it is to this peace that GOD has called you together in the one body. And be thankful” (Colossians 3:15 GNT)

Hugs,

Sharon