Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hey, lets share books here in this thread that have the very distinct recognition of being inspirational.
Nice to see you again hope :). My favorite books are as follows:

1) My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers - Daily Devotional.
2) Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence - Christian Inspirational.

3) When God calls your name, by Max Lucado - Christian Theology and Inspirational.
4) The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe, by C. S. Lewis - Christian Fiction.
5) The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien - Fiction with Christian Theology.

These are mostly protestant writings, but I hope that you'll enjoy them. Peace in Christ :).

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

2) Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence - Christian Inspirational.

3) When God calls your name, by Max Lucado - Christian Theology and Inspirational.

These are mostly protestant writings, but I hope that you'll enjoy them. Peace in Christ :).

Thank you so much professor. I have heard of many of these, but have not read them yet.......:)

Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Hope.

1)
Twenty-one surgeries by age thirteen. Years in the hospital. Verbal and physical bullying from schoolmates. Multiple miscarriages as a young wife. The death of a child. A debilitating progressive disease. Riveting pain. Abandonment. Unwanted divorce.

Vaneetha Rendall Risner begged God for grace that would deliver her. But God offered something better: his sustaining grace.

In The Scars That Have Shaped Me, Vaneetha does more than share her stories of pain; she invites other sufferers to taste with her the goodness of a sovereign God who will carry us in our darkest of days.

https://document.desiringgod.org/the-scars-that-have-shaped-me-en.pdf?1498054609

2) In "The Great Divorce, " C.S. Lewis's classic vision of the Afterworld, the narrator boards a bus on a drizzly English afternoon and embarks on an incredible voyage through Heaven and Hell. He meets a host of supernatural beings far removed from his expectations, and comes to some significant realizations about the nature of good and evil.

https://barnardsvilleumc.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/ebook-lewis-c-s-the-great-divorce.pdf

3) The Way of a Pilgrim, or The Pilgrim's Tale is the English title of a 19th-century Russian work, recounting the narrator's journey as a mendicant pilgrim across Russia while practising the Jesus Prayer. It is unknown if the book is literally an account of a single pilgrim, or if it uses a fictional pilgrim's journey as a vehicle to teach the practice of ceaseless inner prayer and communion with God.

http://jbburnett.com/resources/french_way_of_a_pilgrim.pdf

Number one, The Scars That Have Shaped Me, inspired me to let my suffering bring me closer to Lord Jesus Christ. It helped me to realise that the Bible is full of lamentation and crying out to God for mercy. Until then, I had a bit of an idea that Christians must always be bubbly and optimistic. The book changed my life, allowing me to accept my suffering and actually see it for the gift it is.

I just read number two, The Great Divorce, recently and it inspired me to check myself for legalism, rigidity and negativity. Suffering is one thing but being attached to and investing in one's suffering is dangerous as it can become one's identity. I started making a big effort to smile more and be a bit more friendly after reading it (because I don't want to end up in hell with the whiners!).

Number three, The Way of a Pilgrim, was a blessing for me as I had come back to Christianity from a different faith which involved a lot of chanting as meditation/prayer. I had heard of the Jesus Prayer but hadn't read the book properly before. I pray the Jesus Prayer all the time now (disregarding the warnings of Orthodox believers who advise only using it under guidance of a spiritual mentor) and I cannot imagine that I would have stayed on the Christian path without it.

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unbroken- Telling an unforgettable story of a man's journey into extremity, Unbroken is a testament to the resilience of the human mind, body, and spirit.

It's actually a Christian testimony. And what got me interested in reading was the trailer. Which I then watched after reading the book.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Until then, I had a bit of an idea that Christians must always be bubbly and optimistic. The book changed my life, allowing me to accept my suffering and actually see it for the gift it is.

That is a huge personal discovery to make Sarah. Most of us never get to grow like that and end up stuck. Do you think that Vaneetha's story came to you at just the right time for you to receive it?

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
@mukk_in Thank you for sharing your list of inspirational books. Did any of them in particular open your mind to something profound?
Hello hope, nice to see you again. I'd say "My Utmost for His Highest" was what shaped my walk with Christ because I went through the process of complete surrender and sanctification as Rev. Oswald Chambers. Hope that helps. Peace in Christ:).

• Winner
Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a huge personal discovery to make Sarah. Most of us never get to grow like that and end up stuck. Do you think that Vaneetha's story came to you at just the right time for you to receive it?
Yes, coming across the book at the time I did was a beautiful, life-changing miracle :)

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So are you going to share it here on the forum?

Thanks to @mukk_in
here is the book title and author:
My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers

and thanks to @Sarah G , here is the link to the book she recommended:
The Scars That Have Shaped Me, Vaneetha does more than share her stories of pain; she invites other sufferers to taste with her the goodness of a sovereign God who will carry us in our darkest of days.

https://document.desiringgod.org/the-scars-that-have-shaped-me-en.pdf?1498054609

does this help?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Just got the book My Utmost for His Highest and I like it!

Do you recommend a good study guide to accompany it?

Anyone else enjoy this book?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Heart2Soul , what did you enjoy most about Joyce Meyers?
For one her testimony is so very parallel to my own...secondly I love that she is so transparent about her life. Battlefield of The Mind helped me realize that a lot of what I "thought" pertaining to my worth and value to God...to my salvation....to my personal walk with Him was a battlefield that the enemy constantly used to keep me bound up in false pretenses. Example....I was under constant condemnation that I couldn't seem to master the "sin" nature and was always depressed because no matter how hard I tried I always seem to mess up. I didn't understand Grace at that time.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks to @mukk_in
here is the book title and author:

and thanks to @Sarah G , here is the link to the book she recommended:
The Scars That Have Shaped Me, Vaneetha does more than share her stories of pain; she invites other sufferers to taste with her the goodness of a sovereign God who will carry us in our darkest of days.

does this help?
Thank you for this link....I have put it on my favorite list and am fixing to start reading it.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Just got the book My Utmost for His Highest and I like it!

Do you recommend a good study guide to accompany it?

Anyone else enjoy this book?

That's great hope! Try this: "A study guide for Oswald Chambers 'My Utmost for His Highest'" by Thomas Braddock. ISBN-13:978-1414105277, ISBN-10:1414105274. It's on Amazon. Happy reading. Glad to see you back in good spirits. Peace in Christ:).

• Winner
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey guys, I thought this book looked interesting: Unimaginable:What our world would be like without Christianity, by Jeremiah Johnston, phd.

it got really good reviews online with a google search.....

Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0