• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

please i need your help. can you just read each coincidence and comment your opinion in each of them

Xlembonis

Jun 22, 2021
Kozani
✟15,923.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Almost a month ago, I was walking and saw a man for about 1 second. Then, I started looking elsewhere and probably a building was hiding him from my point of view. When I went neare, (it took me about 15 seconds) I could not see the man. I was expecting to see him because it looked to me as if he was standing

I started worrying that he may have vanished because of a glitch in the simulation system (if im case we are in one). For about 5-15 minutes, I was trying to find ways or buildings he may have gone to. I wanted so much to find where he went in order to calm down. Before leaving, I decided to take 2 (i think) photos of the place in order to show the place to 2 friends and together find where he may have turned or what buiding he may have gone to.

If my ocd was not triggered, I probably would not have taken photos. I just wanted an explanation in order to calm down. Before taking the photos, I started having intrusive thoughts about a punishment from Gods of the system for taking photos. I think here was not any glitch in the place and I was not planning to capture any. I just wanted the place in my photos in order to find an explanation.

I deleted those photos some time later, without showing them because I started worrying. Even though, I found some possible ways and buildings that the man may have gone to, I still worry.

After some days, some coincidences started happening and I am worrying that they may be bad signs from Gods or the programers. For example:

- 1) I was thinking that I may read some specific phrases of excitement in the comments section of a non-related topic. I remembered reading them in an older topic. So, I assumed that I may read them in the newer one too. Indeed, someone had written one of the phrases that I assumed I may read. Due to this small coincidence-guess (even though it was kinda expected), I got a worrying thought that a bigger coincidence may happen. Many times in the past, when small coincidences were happening, I automatically was worrying that a bigger one may happen and that it may be related to my ocd worry as a possible bad sign. So, I worried that if I check the username or the signature of the one who wrote the guessed phrase, I may see a word related to simulation. Kinda like "we live in a simulation" or "matrix" or "Neo". I checked the username and there was no relation. I scrolled down a few comments and someone else had posted a link of a game that had the word "simulator" in its title. I think one of the next days, I asked the one who posted the link why he posted it. He told me that he wanted to make fun of the people who get excited.

- 2) One day, I saw a man in the super market. His face maybe kinda was like the face of the video game character from the 1) coincidence (Wth the game that had the word "simulator" in its title). Not only that but both were wearing similar gray hats. THe video game character was wearing a typical gray, circular hat and the man in the mark was wearing a gray bucket hat.

- 3) I was thinking about the bucket hat coincidence a lot. The next day, I was walking in the street and was thinking about it a lot. I was having thoughts like "why that man had to wear that had?" etc etc. some seconds later, I see a tourist in an almost empty street, wearing a black cappas hat with a feather and taking pictures of a graffiti/painting of a building. I have never seen such a hat in my city. Not only that, but I saw him while I was thinking about a hat (though different kind). Also, the man was taking pictures of a graffiti/painting and it reminded how my worries began (me taking photos of the place in order to find buildings/ways where the man may have gone to)

- 4) I was thinking about the toursist coincidnece a lto. Like an obsession. I was thinking about it while clicking on a random second of a youtube video that I had opened. I was thinking about the coincidence and about 5-10 seconds after the click, there was a quote saying "thats not a good sign"

- 5) One other time, Ι was in my bed with my eyes closed and thinking about my ocd worry and non-related stuff also. I started feeling tired and I started losing control of my thoughts but I did not fell asleep. Suddenly, I cant remember what I was thinking but I ended up thinking a phrase that can be transalated as "oh go to devil". About 1 second later, I probably heard my brother saying that phrase from his room, while playing an online game. I did not hear his words clearly but the melody sounded as if he was saying "oh go to devil". What if I was thinking about signs or my ocd worry when these synchronicity happened? (if my brother said that phrase).

- 6) Some days later, while thinking about this coincidence and while thinking the phrase "oh go to devil" i maybe heard a woman from outside saying the word "devil" exactly when I was thinking it. I am not sure if she said that word because I could not hear her clearly. She may have said an other word. Some time later, I was thinking about what the woman may have said and while hearing an interview from a tv journalist, he randomly used a greek expression that contains the word "devil". Luckily, I think when the journalist used that word, I was NOT thinking about the coincidence.

- 7) One other time, I was feeling better and was not thinking about these coincidneces. Suddenly, I started remembering what the woman from outside may have said. The tv was on and I was afraid that I may hear the word "devil" while thinking about it. But it was commercials and I randomly thought something like "ha I can think about the word as much as I want because ads cant have the word "devil"". I kept analyzing the coincidence with the woman and that word, and spend some seconds thinking about it. An ad started playing that had the word "signs".

- 8) I was scrolling in youtube and I started worrying about my problem. Suddenly, I got a thought like "what if while scrolling I will see something related to my worries? and some scrolling below. there was a video about a weather forecast in which a grpahical glitch happened. the word "glitch" is related to my ocd worry.

- 9) I was thinking about my problem and started thinking stuff like "bla bla bla bla Gods are sending me signs bla bla bla bla?" and on that moment, I hear a tv ad saying the word "signs". I think it was about a face cream. the word scars/wrinkles can be said as "signs" in my language.

- 10) I was talking to a friend about my problem with coincidences. I wanted to send him a funny random message with the word "coincidence". I did not. Some minutes later, I had a message on facebook. I assumed that it may be my friend about the word "coincidence" because I forgot that I did nto send the message. So, when I heard my phone, I remembered my never-send message and the word "coincidence" popped up in my head. On that moment, I heard a woman saying something like "bla bla bla I have a sign...." I

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I started worrying that he may have vanished because of a glitch in the simulation system (if im case we are in one).

God doesn't glitch - it's your OCD plaguing you.
Other people, including myself, have considered the simulation possibility - but the net effect either way is 0.

If we are in a simulation, it's God's simulation. If we are in a reality, it's God's reality. The simulation paranoia is 'I'm in a simulation but it's not God's simulation, it's someone else who has control and they are not friendly'. But this is not the case. Even if it were, God by definition being Above All Else would have control of the simulators.

there was a video about a weather forecast in which a grpahical glitch happened.

Relax - laugh, love, take your meds. It's going to be OK. I promise.

Weather forecasts ARE simulations made by imperfect people and sometimes THEY have glitches that weathermen have to deal with. Here is my personal favorite one... I feel like he dealt with it the right way. Enjoy and God bless you with laughter today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xlembonis

Jun 22, 2021
Kozani
✟15,923.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
what about other coincidence
God doesn't glitch - it's your OCD plaguing you.
Other people, including myself, have considered the simulation possibility - but the net effect either way is 0.

If we are in a simulation, it's God's simulation. If we are in a reality, it's God's reality. The simulation paranoia is 'I'm in a simulation but it's not God's simulation, it's someone else who has control and they are not friendly'. But this is not the case. Even if it were, God by definition being Above All Else would have control of the simulators.

Relax - laugh, love, take your meds. It's going to be OK. I promise.

Weather forecasts ARE simulations made by imperfect people and sometimes THEY have glitches that weathermen have to deal with. Here is my personal favorite one... I feel like he dealt with it the right way. Enjoy and God bless you with laughter today.

what about the oither coincidences? can you help me by sharing your opinion in each of them? (they are numbered) it would help me a lot : )

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what about the oither coincidences? can you help me by sharing your opinion in each of them? (they are numbered) it would help me a lot : )

None of them are significant. They are random events your mind thinks are important.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Hah I know, and the number will keep growing as long as you catalogue them; so my advice is not to. The human mind is a great pattern matcher, and it is is built to find meaning in things (it is how we learn as children). With an OCD (or any other) disorder, it is like that talent is set to 150% and others are set to less instead of being in proportion.

Imagine if a person has 7 talents and gifts - if they were perfectly balanced (and believe me, they are NOT perfectly balanced in any human, including me, and that's OK -- you would have a perfect 7 sided shape) with Christ in the center.

upload_2021-6-24_9-40-5.png

This is what me, you, and most Christians look like though - but note. It's still OK. The good things are there, they are just out of proportion with each other. Christ is still in the center, pulling us slowly back into shape and balance as we seek Him, like gravity and balance holding things in orbit.

upload_2021-6-24_9-45-50.png

That's His job, and trust me, He will do it. You don't have to do ANYTHING (just like a planet doesn't have to do anything to get back into orbit) except to ask Him, trust Him and allow Him that He knows best.

So the pattern matching, the seeking of meaning is a good thing; but's it's out of proportion. The specific coincidences have no meaning, and most of them (speaking for myself) might be fear based.
They can be summed up as "what if this means I should do this (or should be doing this) (or it will be bad >for me<)' if I don't"

You could turn this to a strength though - if you shift the focus from self-fear to other-love. I often pray something like this

"Father, open my eyes today to your blessings
That I may appreciate them
Open my heart today to your purposes
That I may fulfill them
Show me your Will today
That you may use me today to bless others
In the name of your Son Jesus Christ"

I personally believe that we are surrounded by miracles, we just don't see them.
One time I told someone "if you don't believe in God, pray that the sun comes up in the morning"
It sounds silly, "of course the sun will come up in the morning anyway!"
but it's a Miracle every morning
And we just don't see it, because we are blind
And used to it all the time
And without the prayer
We can't see the miracle
For what it is
We only see the coincidence
Or the circumstance
We always took for granted.
And we never say 'Thank you' for coincidences
Or circumstances
We say Thank You for Miracles
That is why prayer is important
It opens our eyes
To what is already there
And our place in it
And our gratitude for it

With OCD, sometimes it will feel like you are surrounded by coincidences that may provoke fear
But with faith, you will find that you are surrounded by miracles and opportunities
And a place in the world to be used by God
As the blessing He wants all of us to be.
Pray for balance
And offer yourself in service

If your mind is anything like mine
You have a powerful gift and mind
It just needs to be turned outward for Christ in love for others

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, I went back and read your post carefully... see, you aren't the only one with OCD ;)

1) In #1, you are checking and looking to make sure something isn't there, but you see the "link of a game that had the word "simulator" in its title." All games are basically simulators - I play a lot of the CIV games which simulate a civilization. But your fear is

they may be bad signs from Gods or the programers.

And I already talked about that one a little.
One of the things Christ said was "Seek and ye shall find" - this is a double-edged sword. If you see things to confirm a view that you are afraid of, you will find them (whether the fear is true or not). Seek things to confirm faith in loving God, and you will find those too.

It can be like a person who is afraid their spouse is cheating on them and begins questioning every sentence or motive or action the spouse takes. They may be innocent, but because you can not prove a negative, they can not convince the other of their faithfulness, and by the actions of the one (which are based in fear and lack of faith in the other), they drive them away - fulfilling the prophecy (and the fear) that they will be left alone.

How much better to fulfill Love rather than Fear!
Perfect Love casts out all Fear
Perfect Fear casts out all Love
And Practice?
Practice makes perfect.
So choose what you practice carefully!
And ask for God's help in doing it
("God is Love" the gospel of John says - so He knows a thing or two about it)

in 2) and 3) there are concerns about Hats... My thoughts on this are best addressed by this documentary clip

4) You got a "that's not a good sign" message when a youtube vid failed to load; these are typical error messages when a program detects something going wrong. I am a programmer and when building a application that had to commit data to a database when something went wrong, I flashed the message to the user "Serious Commitment Issues!" in humorous reference to my own relationship problems ;)

5), 6), 7) all have to do with the phase "go to >devil<" almost always expressed as Hell here in my country. And maybe your own fear that God plans to send you there. He doesn't.
People, including myself often say it when something is disagreeable with them or they are angry with them and they want that person gone. It is frequently said, not really meaning it, but it is a horrible thing to say. I have said it. One time, I was so angry, I thought about giving the person specific directions so they wouldn't miss the turn.

We say "go to Hell" in Hate. It is an expression of Judgement, a sentence and a Command. Roughly we mean "get out of my face or view I am angry and you are an annoyance and my life is better without you and if you have a Bad Fate, it's fine with me. In fact, I want one for you at this moment. I say you are no good at all." But if we look at the words, and the heart behind them that says it to another person, it's not good.

But let me ask you a question.
Have you ever said "go to Heaven" in Love?
I have never done this, but it is what Christ said to all of us
And, as a Christian, I think I am authorized to do the things Christ did or to say things He would have me say on His behalf.

So, here's the first time, from Christ through me to you:

Xlembonis! Go to Heaven!
:)

As with most things, we've had them backwards all along...

8) the weather glitch we talked about

9) I think is covered by the other things I have said under 1

10) I actually did have a "coincidence" like yours where I was reminded to do good for others. There is a phone scam happening where my phone (and the phones of many others) are being called and the message says "this is Molly from Amazon - there is a suspicious charge of $729 on your account, press 1 to connect to operating"

On Your Side: Latest twist on Amazon phone scam

It is driving me crazy and getting like a dozen calls a day, I have to turn my phone off.
Finally I hit #1 and connected to operator, very angry and said some unChristian things.

In the morning I repented of what I said, even though it was a scam operator trying to steal my money and harassing me and many others, I prayed for the man, as Christ said in Matthew 5:

43You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor’ and ‘Hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven

And then after I did that, God reminded me, a few days ago I had come across a woman wandering in the park in a nightgown very troubled and we had to call ambulance for her. She had touched my heart a lot, her face looked so lost like she was in shock. The ambulance came and took her away for help. And I was thankful we were able to help, and I thought "we should keep praying for her"

But I had forgotten.
And then I remembered her...

...Her name was Molly.

I prayed.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0