Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
i have it inflicted on me at home through the PC. i tunes should be banned. I get in the car and again those infernal MP3 players belt it out as soon as i turn the ignition key.... and then I get to the church meetings on Sunday and they have it there as well.

What am i going on about you may ask..... it's this 'death by hillsong'...

Aaarrrgh i'm sick of hearing them, mp3, satellite tv god channels..... please will someone put me out of my misery.

Steve

maitiu

Mar 29, 2005
New York City
✟15,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree Steve. I'm fed up of "modern" praise and worship as a whole - in fact I can't even see the 'worship' in it anymore. It has sadly become a show, where you just sing a song. I could put the same feeling and wavey arms into a song by U2 - which is usually deeper I might add.

It's also so wishy-washy using references to silly things that you don't even talk about in real life, or full of "you are this.. and this.. and this.. oh and you're this too.. thank you". I guess I'm after something deeper. I often stop in the middle of "worship" and think "what the hell am I singing? Do people even read these lyrics? They're awful!"

Matt

Upvote 0

mrbrownie0jesusrocks

I'm in the holy order of the LORD JESUS CHRIST
Nov 9, 2007
Tennessee
✟10,038.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well listen it is all about the lyrics it really is..
You want to know why you are raising your hands...
It says make a joyful noise into the lord...
Fear the lord thy God....
Love thy neighbor as yourself....
Don't regret anything you do for the lord...
For great is your reward.

Upvote 0

dclem

Feb 22, 2006
✟15,203.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree Steve. I'm fed up of "modern" praise and worship as a whole - in fact I can't even see the 'worship' in it anymore. It has sadly become a show, where you just sing a song. I could put the same feeling and wavey arms into a song by U2 - which is usually deeper I might add.

It's also so wishy-washy using references to silly things that you don't even talk about in real life, or full of "you are this.. and this.. and this.. oh and you're this too.. thank you". I guess I'm after something deeper. I often stop in the middle of "worship" and think "what the hell am I singing? Do people even read these lyrics? They're awful!"

Matt
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Finally someone else who feels the same way.

I have always wondered why the infatuation with all the "praise and worship" music out there when Jesus emphatically told us NOT to use vain repetitions.

I'm also weary of this "audience of One" line I'm given all the time. If that's true, great. Sing it when I'm not around. If it's for an audience of One, why does every praise and worship CD have an audience of many cheering after every song?

Upvote 0

WolfBlack

Jan 18, 2008
✟15,141.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
glad someone else out there is saying what i've been affraid to lol. i am a lead guitarist in my church's Praise Band, and i just cant get into some of the praise songs that are on christian radio and the like etc. coming from a musician point of view i cant help but notice alot of worship bands on the radio are over using that typical U2 guitar sound and rhythm.

if my Praise band plays anything that has that typical sound, i change the guitar part intentionally lol. alot of listeners in a church audience are youth during the praise band services and im sure they can read along to lyrics that are more deeper than the typical
"you are great!" "you are wonderful! "you are holy!" over and over and over....they arent 1st graders, lets not sing to them like they are.

we need deeper words, you could take the praise "you are holy" and some more lines to have a bigger and more poetic deep meaning. God is perfect, and im sure he will understand what we are trying to say:

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
i usually have a rule which i enforce rigidly for myself when our church insists on bringing in new songs.... if i listen and read the words first.... then if i do not agree with the content i simply do not sing it ( i will not turn myself into a worship hypocrite ).

Steve

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the name of one song that doesn't have "us" in it? You know, where there aren't any "I, my, etc." That's just ministering to Yahweh and focusing on Him. More believers are saying we need "deeper words." I believe there's a huge market for it.

Many churches have a "performance" but I would rather hear those who are anointed.

Hi cyberlizard - I don't write music but just change the words as we're singing those songs in church. Thank goodness no one else can hear me.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
hey tturt

i am often the one doing that as well, i take the tune being played and sing my own words.... i am sure people probably think i am nuts, but i don't care (after all i sometimes wear a prayer shawl).

I am waiting for someone to say, you should not be doing that (it will happen sooner or later), but i am not the only wierd one, one of our members many years ago got a word to pick a stick (from a tree branch) and engrave in it verses of scripture (then some bigwig american preacher came over, saw it, spoke to her, and now it is catching on).... makes a change for us brits to inflict strange practices on the yanks rather than the other way round.

Steve....

p.s. how are you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting about the stick -

Reminds me that Perry Stone said recently that the people's staffs' would have their history craved on them. Abraham's could have said - At 99, Yahweh established a covenant with me, my seed and the generations to come. At 100, Isaac was born, etc.

(Gen 17 and 21)

By the way, what would be the "deeper words?"

Upvote 0