Mar 29, 2005
New York City
✟15,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone,

I'm from the little island of Ireland. For a few years now I've felt an odd calling on my life to do missionary work in New York City. To be honest though, the time never felt "right", nor did I feel overly comfortable about going because of that. Through a long long story and a series of events, I felt the time was right last year, and I applied to do a missionary training course with a group called YWAM. I'm leaving in September.

I was very strong willed about it, that I believed I should WORK to earn all the money - and not take from people (Im not fond of christian beggars). I have, and still am trying, but I know I wont make it - <staff edit>

I am, however, trusting, and in ways you try to outsmart God by thinking of ideas. My church will help me, but we're a very small group (<15). Times like these being in those 'mega churches' really helps. <staff edit>.

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayangel81

Child of the Most High
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2007
Long Island Ny, USA
✟49,584.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will pray for you and ask God if its in His will to help you.

There was a time when I thought I was called, but God shut it down:(
and closed the door in my heart.
Seems like a really awesome thing to partake in.

Just remember one thing, and it is very important to know. God will provide everything for you if it is indeed His will for you to become a missionary. Keep praying, never stop my friend :)

Upvote 0

handmaiden97

Veteran
Jun 7, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟9,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matt....I hope you get all you need to go! I highly recomend YWAM as I have been a YWAMer for the past 10 years. Are you doing a DTS? in what location New York? where will the outreach be? I will pray that everything comes in for you and will even pray about whether Im to help or not...(though it wouldnt be much)

I want to challenge your thinking on asking for finances and not wanting to be a christian begger! That shows a very wrong attidue about fundraising (I have held that view myself and been convicted of it) One of the hardest things about being in missions and yet one of the joys as well is being a part of a team. You see it takes the whole body of Christ to do the work of the ministry. As a misisonary I realize Im the finger tip actually touching the lives int he field God has sent me to, but it is my prayers support, my financial supporters who are the finger the hand, arm elbow the rest of the body that allows and enables me to reach out. When we all get to heaven and God is rewarding us for the things done in the body, the work that I have been apart of the fruit I have seen is just as much if not more so a part of thier reward. I was tool in the masters hands, I was an extension of my supporters hearts and ministry into those fields. Those who are called to do the world of the Lord are worthy of their support, they are not christian beggers. Why dont you track down a few books, they have some great bible study tools for misisonaries "Getting Sent" Friend Rasing" and "Funding Your Ministry"

See for the past 7 years I have served full time with YWAM. I went into it determined not to evr ask for money, becuase I had seen that abused and I wanted nothing to do with christian charity or begging. God did provided but it was tight, stressfull and emotionally exhausting. At times I would findmyself hinting to other of the needs in my life....."Please pray that the 1200 I need for this will come in." That is manipulation. Other times I would complain about how tight my budget it....I would love to go out to dinner with you, but I just cant right now.....I am finding that focusing on the lack is not very honoring to God. I have taken a year away form misisons, for several reason the biggest being I needed to get Gods attitude about misisonary fundrasing. So Im in the middle of raisng finances to go back on staff for my 8th year of full time ministry....only this time I go fully supported and with a commitment to never complain or hint of low finances again and to tell my freinds and family continually how Faithfull God is to provide!!!!! They need to see it. My biggest supprtors over the years have been one very small shuch 12 people, a widow with two daughters still at home and an old man with a fixed income. I tell you this casue these were people I never expected to give, but they cared about me and the work I was doing. So go talk to your church, your friends, your family (Even the unsaved ones and keep praying that God brings everything you need in.)

Upvote 0

maitiu

Mar 29, 2005
New York City
✟15,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi

Yes, it is a DTS. Thanks for your prayers and support, and advice on "fundraising". It is difficult, but I'm trying not to say much. To have to 'say' would be humbling, but I am hoping (I'm not sure if this is the correct attitude or not) that God will reveal things to people as necessary.

Matt

Upvote 0