Please define Man and Woman.

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
If sensible names for body parts (almost) all humans have disturb you, please leave now.

Ok, with that over, how do you define a man or a woman.

Can you go by if they have a penis or vagina? If so, what about those with both/neither/half and half?

Can you go by the genes? XX or XY, but what about all the other combinations (or lack there of)? Or when other genes mess with the development of the baby, such as a female with XY genes, but who is immune to a key hormone with is useful in developing a penis and plumbing?

And then we can go take a look at their brains.

Or their gender identity.

Or the double DNA. This is a fun one, you have two non-identical twins who early on in gestation get combined into one individual with two sets of DNA, and as such could have a fully function (if not for the lack of space due to having both) male and female genitals. Actually, cases of this are so rare I would contend it is possible for there to be one who has both genitalia and can reproduce with either a male or female partner. A case I have seen has one half of the body male and the other half female, straight down the middle.

And now why (some of) you should care about it. If a person with xy genes but a vagina 'weds' and has sex with a person with xx genes and a vagina, is that homosexuality or heterosexuality?

What happens if it is a male that the first weds and beds.

And with the double DNA, should they marry a 'standard' 'male' or 'female'?

I will say that assuming gender at first (or second) glance is something of a necessity because the majority of people we don't have enough time to get into the details enough to find out if calling her a her or him a him is in fact correct. But in cases concerning sex partners, much less marriage partners, we should be able to invest enough time to solve this, if only we knew how. So how do you purpose to solve this?

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Here´s my standard caveat:
The question actually is
How do we define "man" and "woman"?
We define words, not things or beings.
This is a semantics question, nothing else.

Personally, I am willing to call everyone "man" who feels "I am a man" and accordingly with women.
I think I am flexible enough to switch between different definitions of words, depending on the context.
I have never encountered a situation in which the question "Will I call this person 'man' or 'woman'?" posed a major problem for me.

Upvote 0

God-free

One of many moral atheists
May 23, 2008
Earth
✟8,759.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Too much think-time on your hands, lawtonfogle? May I suggest a night out with some friends? Get together for dinner and a movie. Then, go home and soak in a nice warm bath to help clear your head. Get a good nights rest (don't set the alarm clock). It'll do you good. ;-)

~Barbara

Upvote 0

TheManeki

Christian Humanist
Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
✟21,334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are also syndromes where people have chromosomes that are XXY or XYY.

If we see a continuum biologically, why must we arbitrarily divide things into two exclusive categories?

If the only need to distinguish genders is semantics, perhaps it is time we came up with more accurate terms, or better yet, learned to live without adjectives that do not serve a useful purpose.

Reactions: platzapS
Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There are also syndromes where people have chromosomes that are XXY or XYY.

If we see a continuum biologically, why must we arbitrarily divide things into two exclusive categories?

If the only need to distinguish genders is semantics, perhaps it is time we came up with more accurate terms, or better yet, learned to live without adjectives that do not serve a useful purpose.

Yes, our language isn't designed very well for those people who fit in between. Referring to them as "it" rather than "he" or "she" I would imagine would be quite insulting.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Too much think-time on your hands, lawtonfogle?
Well, when the network network support is supposed to be supporting isn't in need of supporting, and the 'make it better' projects have been canceled due to corporate take over, what else can a network support do? Yeah, I do spend a lot of time thinking, and computers haven't been breaking around here often enough (tomorrow 10 are going to break all at once just because I said this).

May I suggest a night out with some friends?
Be a bit hard seeing as they are all located though out America. Come middle of august, will all meet back at the Campus, but most everyone I know is somewhere else. And I live out in the boonies of the boonies.

Get together for dinner and a movie. Then, go home and soak in a nice warm bath to help clear your head. Get a good nights rest (don't set the alarm clock). It'll do you good. ;-)

~Barbara

I don't even have a working alarm clock (don't ask what happened to the other, it involved duck tape, a hammer, and cement). Anyways, if you think it is bad here, you should seem me Sunday mornings and nights. Has a church ever gotten a restraining order for a person before? If not, I might make history soon.

What I really need is to do some programming. I haven't programmed a project of reasonable size in a few weeks, I may be having withdrawals... but oh what to program... may a man/woman detector ;).

Reactions: God-free
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
It's easy. There are two species, or "sexes" of the human race. The greater of these is the male sex, endowed with the higher powers of reason and ambition, but also aggression and a need for self-aggrandizement. The lesser of these is the female sex, endowed with higher powers of empathy and a natural yearning for peace, safety, and the nurturing of children, but cursed with petty foolishness and physical weakness.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
When I worked in a department store, I was sometimes required to man a women's fitting rooms. (Or woman them? Who knows?) The fitting room was not actually directly next to the women's swimwear, which was the department it serviced, and in fact most of the floor it was on was devoted to menswear, so it was not uncommon for men to come to our fitting room and for us to have to direct them elsewhere.

One day, someone came to the fitting room, and I couldn't work out if they were a man or a woman. They were trying on a generic pair of black trousers of a brand that makes both men's and women's clothes. I tried asking them a question so I could guess from their voice, but I was unable to figure it out, so eventually I just let them in - it was extremely embarrassing, as I'm sure it was obvious what I was trying to figure out!

This is the best argument for unisex fitting rooms I have ever come across :p

Anyway, to get back on topic, I'm happy to call someone by whatever gender name they prefer for themselves. This is the only time when there's been some difficulty caused to me by gender ambiguity, and that's more the fault of a culture which still insists on sexual segregation than that person's fault.

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
It's easy. There are two species, or "sexes" of the human race. The greater of these is the male sex, endowed with the higher powers of reason and ambition, but also aggression and a need for self-aggrandizement. The lesser of these is the female sex, endowed with higher powers of empathy and a natural yearning for peace, safety, and the nurturing of children, but cursed with petty foolishness and physical weakness.

Now that's just ridiculous, everyone knows that it is women who are the greater sex, endowed with superior reasoning skills, calmness under extreme stress, flexible and intuitive brains which are equipped to deal with almost any situation. The men have been given greater strength which suits them to their role of lifting heavy things, for example when they're carrying home the shopping or arranging the furniture at home, under the superior direction of women of course ;)

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Now that's just ridiculous, everyone knows that it is women who are the greater sex, endowed with superior reasoning skills, calmness under extreme stress, flexible and intuitive brains which are equipped to deal with almost any situation. The men have been given greater strength which suits them to their role of lifting heavy things, for example when they're carrying home the shopping or arranging the furniture at home, under the superior direction of women of course ;)

Then I'll think I'll claim having a woman's brain.:p

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Or the double DNA. This is a fun one, you have two non-identical twins who early on in gestation get combined into one individual with two sets of DNA, and as such could have a fully function (if not for the lack of space due to having both) male and female genitals. Actually, cases of this are so rare I would contend it is possible for there to be one who has both genitalia and can reproduce with either a male or female partner. A case I have seen has one half of the body male and the other half female, straight down the middle.

If we have to name such a person, we should use the proper scientific term for what you're describing--a hermaphroditic chimera. Such a condition is extraordinarily rare--I doubt if more than a few dozen at most have ever been reported. But for practical purposes, the sex of such a person would be whatever sex he/she chooses to live as.

I will say that assuming gender at first (or second) glance is something of a necessity because the majority of people we don't have enough time to get into the details enough to find out if calling her a her or him a him is in fact correct. But in cases concerning sex partners, much less marriage partners, we should be able to invest enough time to solve this, if only we knew how. So how do you purpose to solve this?

To my knowledge, virtually all persons with intersexual conditions will choose to live as one sex. For practical reasons, it obviously makes life much easier. So whatever sex they adopt, is what they are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheManeki

Christian Humanist
Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
✟21,334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm trying to remember the title and author of an interesting science fiction short story that concerns a society where medicine has just reached the point where sexual reassignment surgery is as easy as (or easier than) cosmetic surgery is today, which allows the female protagonist to experiment with swapping genders, much to the dismay of her husband. Can anyone help me?

While I'm on the topic of gender in science fiction, have you ever read Ursula K. LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness, Lawton? It might prove a good exploration of your OP.

EDIT: I did a little digging, and found out the short story I was trying to remember is John Varley's "Options."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
TheManeki, have you read any Iain M. Banks' science fiction? In some of his books there's an advanced human civilisation called The Culture, in which the humans have been genetically modified to be able to secrete various hormones and chemicals at will. One of the consequences of this is that they can voluntarily change sex without surgery over a period of about six months. This means that many couples do things like taking it in turns to undergo pregnancy and childbirth, or spent some time as a same-sex couple and some as a heterosexual couple. Some people also choose to be perpetually androgynous by balancing their hormone secretion.

Upvote 0

TheManeki

Christian Humanist
Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
✟21,334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TheManeki, have you read any Iain M. Banks' science fiction? In some of his books there's an advanced human civilisation called The Culture, in which the humans have been genetically modified to be able to secrete various hormones and chemicals at will. One of the consequences of this is that they can voluntarily change sex without surgery over a period of about six months. This means that many couples do things like taking it in turns to undergo pregnancy and childbirth, or spent some time as a same-sex couple and some as a heterosexual couple. Some people also choose to be perpetually androgynous by balancing their hormone secretion.

I haven't, Cantata, but I'll definitely have to check out his stories. Thanks!

Upvote 0

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I haven't, Cantata, but I'll definitely have to check out his stories. Thanks!

I recommend Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games if you're interested in books featuring The Culture and its attitude to sex and relationships. :) They're also two of my favourite Iain M Banks books anyway.

Upvote 0