Playing World of Warcraft while listening to Christian podcasts?

Simonssen

Jun 17, 2017
Sofia
✟16,012.00
Country
Bulgaria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey brothers and sisters, my first post here.

I know that playing video games is a waste of time and we're much better off studying the word of God. However, my situation is a bit more complicated.

Honestly, I used to be addicted to World of Warcraft back in the days, but since I'm born-again this was eliminated from my life.

Currently I have a schedule of not working on Saturdays and basically doing as God had commanded as to do - not do any work on the seventh day of the week.

Since I enjoy listening to bible-prophecy end times (from a christian's perspective) channela on Youtube (mainly Steve Quayle) I made it a hobit to listen to such podcasts every saturday WHILE playing World of Warcraft as a sort of background because these podcasts are at least 1 hour in lenght (some more) and are only audio most of the time.

To the main question now - is it a sin that I'm playing WoW eventhough I'm only using it as a sort of a background while listening to Christian-related topics?

I know we cannot serve two masters but still - would be glad to get some feedback on my situation.

Thanks in advance and God bless,
Simon

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anything that takes the place of God in our lives is idolatry which is the worst form of sin. People tend to think of idolatry as something that doesn't exist anymore or at least not on the level it once did, yet we can make idols of money, celebrities, our passions, ourselves, yes even the Bible.

A good litmus test is to figure out if you play more than spend time with God. Usually whatever you are preoccupied with most is the thing you most want in life. Usually.

Certainly whatever your heart says do more is that thing which we worship.

Do you want to read your Bible but decide to play WoW instead? Then it is idolatry and sin.

Do you want to pray but watch a movie instead? Then it is sin.

As believers when we few the pull to do something righteous, that is the Holy Spirit speaking to us and leading us. If we ignore or flat our disobey that leading, we are being disobedient and walk in sin as a result.

Upvote 0