✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
August 14 CNN video and article

That's a real tragedy. That an officer doesn't fight back because he doesn't want to be the target of inflammatory headlines like, excessive use of force or shooting an unarmed civilian.

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
"The nobility and integrity of policing has been challenged," Roper said. "As a profession, we have allowed popular culture to draft a narrative which is contrary to the amazing work that so many officers are doing everyday across this nation."

The bitter truth is, the narrative the popular culture is drafting is mostly true. The truth is, the system does not properly punish, curtail, or regulate bad cops. So-called "good cops" lie to protect bad cops. The entire blue line culture is set up as "us against them". Police can violate your civil rights with impunity and then craft whatever offense against you they can dream up, all the while the system backs them up.

If you are not lucky enough to have your encounter with police video taped, then you are screwed. Doesn't matter how innocent you are, doesn't matter how outrageous the circumstance, if there is no video tape, you can never win against the police.

Police have lost the public trust and they have to EARN it back. They can do so by being ruthless by policing themselves and holding themselves to a higher standard. They can do so by being transparent and not letting cops hide behind the Big Blue Wall when mistakes are made. They can do so by getting rid of all the ego-maniac cops that treat citizens like subjects and hold themselves above the Constitution of the US.

I could have a field day posting anecdotes of the above. We are sick of police that hold themselves above the law and treat us like subjects. We are sick of police that abuse the system and abuse their authority. As for this detective, I don't see how us demanding accountability and transparency in Police Use-of-force caused this incident. What is the alternative? To not demand higher standards from police and to allow their abuse of the citizenry and violation of civil rights to continue unabated?

Are we going to accept that argument that the "only" way police can do their jobs is if they can do whatever the hell they want whenever they want without transparency or accountability?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess not. If I had one and someone was pistol wiping me I'd light him up so much they could see the flash from the international space station.

If you're getting pistol whipped with your own gun, you've already lost the fight.

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If you're getting pistol whipped with your own gun, you've already lost the fight.
No not necessarily. You loose the fight when you give up. I've been in too many fights to think otherwise.

The here and now is only relevant until it changes and if someone prematurely determines they've won anything and relents, they may just grasp defeat from the jaws of victory. I've had my times at staggered away from a fight where I was bloodied up badly, but I was the only one who wasn't helped back up to their feet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Pretty much this.

Why pull a gun if you aren't going to use it? I use to teach gun safety and one of the things I was most adamant about was that once you have pulled a gun for whatever reason, you have just escalated the situation to life threatening, and that you never ever pull a gun unless you intend to use it.

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Pretty much this.

Why pull a gun if you aren't going to use it? I use to teach gun safety and one of the things I was most adamant about was that once you have pulled a gun for whatever reason, you have just escalated the situation to life threatening, and that you never ever pull a gun unless you intend to use it.
The cop didn't pull his revolver. The perp took it out of his holster after he sucker punched the cop.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,122,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's a lot missing in this story. This happen in a small mall parking lot right in front of stores.

"He calls for backup and tells the man to stay in the car, but he didn't," Boackle told CNN in a phone interview. "The last thing the officer remembers is getting sucker-punched in a parking lot. The next thing, he's waking up in a hospital bed with staples in his head."

Appears that he did not take out his gun. Did the attacker take his gun after he knocked him out cold and then beat him with it?
It sounds that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟233,300.00
Faith
Christian
"The nobility and integrity of policing has been challenged," Roper said. "As a profession, we have allowed popular culture to draft a narrative which is contrary to the amazing work that so many officers are doing everyday across this nation."

As you point out - there's a reason that "narrative" exists. Police have a choice - do something to change the general mood of the population, or keep doing what they're doing and watch as even more people turn on them.

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Whats up with people taking videos and pictures of fights instead of breaking them up?
It's entertainment for those who are cowardly enough to let this happen. Face it man. We live in a me, me, me, I, I, I society that promotes sensationalism over character because we've forgotten how to value each other.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's entertainment for those who are cowardly enough to let this happen. Face it man. We live in a me, me, me, I, I, I society that promotes sensationalism because we've forgotten how to value each other.

Well I have a idea of why that is, other than the obvious one of sin.

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well I have a idea of why that is, other than the obvious one of sin.
Sin is just the beginning. We've engineered that into a science and then sold it to the world under the title of self-sufficiency.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Whats up with people taking videos and pictures of fights instead of breaking them up?
Would you jump a guy that just took a gun from a cop? I would not. But I wouldn't just stand there taking video either, I'd scoot on out and call 911.
And I know how to fight.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Would you jump a guy that just took a gun from a cop? I would not. But I wouldn't just stand there taking video either, I'd scoot on out and call 911.
And I know how to fight.

How many didn't intervene because of that and how many didn't intervene because they simply didn't care? I am more concerned with the latter than the former.

Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

"You did not choose me but I chose you"Jn.15:16
Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I know how to fight.
People that stand and watch this and take video are lower than the suspect assaulting the cop. No moral center whatever.

To answer your question, yes, I'd do something to stop the suspect from beating a cop to death with their own weapon. Because that suspect can then turn the gun on the officer and kill him after the satisfaction of beating the officer wore off. And then that means that suspect is armed with what is typically a 9mm service weapon and can turn it on all those people who he sees are witnesses filming his felony. One victim for every bullet in the clip.
Doing something to stop that suspect while in the commission of beating the officer could save lives.

Upvote 0