✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Get on your analytical "art appreciation" hats:

Little Lamb of Jesus has included in his tagline area a picture called, "The Scroll, the Serpent, and our Salvation." It got my interest. It is highly controversial due to some of its interpretations. For many people, none of these deeper meanings are readily apparent. You never know why someone likes or hates this picture, and I thought it would be a good subject for discussion. Can you tell me what the images in the picture and their relationship to each other means to you?

showletter.jpg

N

NavyGuy7

Little Lamb of Jesus has included in his tagline area a picture called, "The Scroll, the Serpent, and our Salvation." It got my interest. It is highly controversial due to some of its interpretations. For many people, none of these deeper meanings are readily apparent. You never know why someone likes or hates this picture, and I thought it would be a good subject for discussion. Can you tell me what the images in the picture and their relationship to each other means to you?

showletter.jpg

I think it's a graphical representation of Christ's victory over Satan, Hell, and Death through his sacrifice for our sins, and his resurrection afterwards.
the scroll would of course be scripture.
I mean, is it just me, or did they put the feet of jesus ABOVE the serpent as a coincidence? I like to think it was purposeful.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Shalom Ger!! This would probably not be the appropriate board to discuss that on.

The first time "heel" is used is in Genesis 3:15, and it is used only one time in all the NT/NC and that in my favorite Gospel, John.

A few of us do post on this board here [link below] and perhaps that would be a more appropriate place to discuss it if you are interested. Thoughts?

http://christianforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=804
Christian Scriptures

Gene 3:15 And enmity I am setting between thee and between the woman, and between seed of thee and between seed of her. He, he shall hurt thou head, and thou, thou shall hurt him heel/06119 `aqeb".

[Tex-Rec] John 13:18 "Not concerning all of ye I am saying, I am knowing of any-those I choose but that the Writing may be being filled the one eating with Me the bread lifts-up on me the heel/pternan <4418> of him. [Psalm 41:9]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lamb: I'm not sure why you think this thread is better placed in the forum for discussing christian scriptures. We are not discussing scriptures. We are discussing a piece of artwork.

So Lambkins, what does its symbols mean?

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The conflict of this piece of artwork is here: where the scroll fits in.

View I: The scroll is independent, not interacting with the other symbols, but there as record keeper/revealer:
Is the scroll representational of the entire Christian Bible, recording the victory of JC over satan?

OR

View II: The scroll is INTERdependent, interplaying with the other symbols:
Is the scroll the Torah, with a nail through it?
What does it say about the scroll, that the snake is wrapped around it?

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I suppose your individual interpretation would lie in your pre-exosting predjudices. The first time I saw this my thought was that it symbolized the victory over satan by the Christ that was revealed in the scriptures (both OT and NT).

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I suppose your individual interpretation would lie in your pre-exosting predjudices. The first time I saw this my thought was that it symbolized the victory over satan by the Christ that was revealed in the scriptures (both OT and NT).
I have had that picture for about a year and I did not notice the head of the snake under the feet until it was brought up here :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rhyddid_rose

Cymru am byth
Jan 24, 2005
somewhere sw of Cardiff Wales
Visit site
✟1,195.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Bore da! Sut mae?

Ger Tzedek said:

showletter.jpg

When I first saw this picture, my thought was, 'EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWW!' :sick:

It is gross! The superimposing of the bloody feet on the Torah scroll is disturbing to me; it is bordering on obscene. For me, the crucifixion is a symbol of injustice, not 'salvation'. Why is a King Snake included here? :o

You asked,
Rhyddid Rose Rhys

Last edited:
Upvote 0
N

NavyGuy7

Bore da! Sut mae?

It is gross! The superimposing of the bloody feet on the Torah scroll is disturbing to me; it is bordering on obscene. For me, the crucifixion is a symbol of injustice, not 'salvation'. Why is a King Snake included here? :o

You asked,
Rhyddid Rose Rhys

It may be a little, ewish, but considering it's not even close to the original scene (which I would imagine would have been much gorier), I don't see how it is worse than art that really IS obscene, on purpose.
And why is the crucifixion a symbol of injustice to you?

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Or simply in pre-exisitng EXPERIENCES. When Jews see Christians with Bibles, they look like books. But Jews actually DO see scrolls on a regular basis in synagogue. I suspect that for a Christian, the scroll in the picture is simply a beautiful historical reference to the fact that at one time their scriptures were actually scrolls, and so a scroll becomes the perfect metaphor for their Bible. But for a Jew, one look at that scroll and the brains says "Torah," and the nail through it and snake wrapped around it simply fit with what has been heard from countless Christians about how awful the law is, how "legalisitic" Judaism is, how Jews are the children of Satan, etc....

In fact, you might say that this picture is the Rorschach inkblot for how people have experienced Christianity.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bore da! Sut mae?

You asked,
Rhyddid Rose Rhys
I didn't notice it was a King Snake. Thanks for bringing that up though. Zeph 1:8 mentions sons of the King so perhaps it has to do with King Jesus vs an evil King as the Serpent.

Edit to add: Jesus was innocent in the eyes of most everyone except the corrupt murderous Judean Rulers/Priesthood. Through that injustice came Salvation from Death.

zeph 1:7 Hush! in presence of my Lord YHWH, that near Day of YHWH. That YHWH prepares a sacrifice, He sanctifies called ones of Him.
8 And He becomes in Day of sacrifice of YHWH and I visit on the chiefs, and on sons of the King, and on all of ones being clothed clothing foreign. [Ezekiel 39:17/Matt 22:11]

James 5:6 Ye condemn, ye Murder/efoneusate <5407> (5656) the Righteous-One, not He is resisting to Ye.

Revelation 9:21 And not they reform/metenohsan <3340> (5656) out of the Murders/fonwn <5408> of them, nor out from their sorceries,...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It may be a little, ewish, but considering it's not even close to the original scene (which I would imagine would have been much gorier), I don't see how it is worse than art that really IS obscene, on purpose.
I can't speak for her, but the execution of an innocent sounds pretty unjust to me.

Upvote 0
N

NavyGuy7

I can't speak for her, but the execution of an innocent sounds pretty unjust to me.

I know, but that injustice had to pass for salvation to be possible. I would think Christ's sacrifice were not so in vain to the point that the cross becomes a symbol of injustice. In fact, that's what it is. Salvation made possible through the injustices of the world.
;) It all works out in the end.

Upvote 0

rhyddid_rose

Cymru am byth
Jan 24, 2005
somewhere sw of Cardiff Wales
Visit site
✟1,195.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Bore da. Sut mae?

NavyGuy7 said:

One of the reasons why I'm not a Christian is the entire 'salvation' thing. I dont think it is right that Jesus should have died in such a horrific manner for the 'sins' of others. I refuse to accept 'salvation' based on injustice. The cross is not a thing of beauty, nor of love; it is a symbol of cruelty.

As an Asatruar, I dont believe in 'salvation' nor original sin. A man is only responsible for his own deeds and will be judged by his own actions. I believe in personal responsibility and living a moral and ethical life. I try to uphold the Nine Noble Virtues of my path, not out of fear of judgement from the Gods, but because it is the right thing to do.

Hail Heimdall,
Rhyddid Rose Rhys

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Anyone else want to discuss the symbolism represented in that Picture? :wave:

Genesis 3:14 And YHWH 'Elohiym is saying to the nachash: "that thou did this, being cursed thee from all of the beast, and from all of life/animal of the field. On belly/torso of thee thou shall go, and soil thou shall eat all of days of lives of thee.
15 And enmity I am setting between thee and between the woman, and between seed of thee and between seed of her. He, he shall hurt thou head, and thou, thou shall hurt him heel/06119 `aqeb".

Upvote 0

um hamza

May 30, 2008
my kingdome
✟7,797.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married

showletter.jpg
I hated that picture and I used to not look at it , it has alot of blood and I thank God that he changed it

Upvote 0