Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think the little dogs are like that...our bigger dogs seemed more mellow in spirit...even our cocker spaniels were more mellow than our Pom....but the little pomeraian has jump started us again to enjoy life...what a blessing she is.
For sure!
Penny has more attitude than our English Springers did ^_^
And yes...what JOY they do bring; they sure to keep you hopping, and that is a good thing :thumbsup:

I think most dogs bond more with one person, even though they are close to both.

The springer was close to hubby, who trained her for bird hunting, but when I was gravely ill, she never left my side!

Penny is bonded to me, but when Hubby comes home and she spots his truck ...she will yelp/cry like your Teddy, Dave .....^_^

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree, we had Bearded Collies (Scottish sheepdogs) for nearly 20 yrs and they were very mellow, but very affectionate. Lots of long hair to groom every week, used to take a couple of hours for each dog, we had 3 at one time, but they were magnificent dogs. This is the first time we've had a little dog and he's just so bubbly.

This is our first tiny dog too....lots of doggie in her 7 pound body....we are nuts about her.

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
For sure!
Penny has more attitude than our English Springers did ^_^
And yes...what JOY they do bring; they sure to keep you hopping, and that is a good thing :thumbsup:

I think most dogs bond more with one person, even though they are close to both.

The springer was close to hubby, who trained her for bird hunting, but when I was gravely ill, she never left my side!

Penny is bonded to me, but when Hubby comes home and she spots his truck ...she will yelp/cry like your Teddy, Dave .....^_^

We have the same here...Gracie is very bonded to me...but cries like a baby when hubby comes homes from work...she is all over him with joy and kisses.

Upvote 0
G

Grannie Annie

Several years ago we rescued a beautiful English Golden Cocker Spaniel named Buddy. He was 2 when we got him and we only had him for 2 yrs. He was just gorgeous. HOWEVER...after awhile, he'd suddenly go all strange, and he'd growl and become quite nasty and just as quickly as it started it finished and he'd be his loving self again. We took him to the vet and he said it was called..... Cocker Rage !! Sort of like epilepsy. Quite common in pure golden cockers apparently. We could either have him on drugs all his life to have him calmed down or put him to sleep. We decided to put him to sleep because Brian's (then little) granddaughters would sometimes visit and we didn't want them to get bitten. It broke our hearts, he was really a lovely dog.

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
SNAP!!!

When Max [bearded collie] was put to sleep
We rescued a dog from the shelter in Cheshire... *pic later*

He seemed fine toward us and others, but he took a dislke to Rolo
and attacked him viciously several times
On the first occasion, I sent him to his bed ~and he growled at me

On the second [and last] occasion, One of Mary's lads was here
to help seperate them, and within 20 minutes 'Barney' was on his way back to the shelter

Then, we got Teddy ....LOL ...
What a loving Staffordshire Terrier / Welsh Collie 'cross' he is :D

Then we considered Rolo's advanced age
and whether Teddy would, upon his then being the sole receiver
of, our attentions [?] permit another dog to share our home

So, we got Rusty, and have settled him in, before Rolo's passes

Rusty and Teddy are the best of mates.... :praise:

dave

Upvote 0
G

Grannie Annie

Once Roger has gone, we don't think we'll get another dog. If he's really 5 now, with a bit of luck we'll get another 10 yrs out of him if we're lucky. In 10 yrs Brian will be 87 and with a bit of luck my cancer won't have come back to bite me on the bum again, if it has, I might not be here anyway. With Barrie it's a different matter...although I love him, being a reptile he'll be easier to find a new home for and he's much easier to care for than a dog. Barrie could easily live for another 15 - 20 years.

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We also had an English Springer, who when she turned 2, turned on us, but was great with strangers :confused: even with a person who broke into our home :o
After much searching, it seemed there was a question of her breeding and color (she was mostly liver and they can get aggressive ?).
Even the hunters wouldn't take her (she was a bird dog); sadly we had to put her down.

Once Penny has passed we won't get another dog; we saw what happened with my in-laws, who got a dog in their 70's.
In their 80's they both ended up ill and eventually in nursing homes; the poor dog was grieving for them, and had the stress of being bounced around between our home and theirs :(
Thankfully hubby and I could take him in (14 year old shih tzu) when they could no longer keep him; he knew us well, and had 1 happy year before he passed on.

We don't want to stress a dog out like that again, and we don't have any relatives that could take Penny.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I had a dog that took up with my mom..when she went into the nursing home, Beauty grieved herself to death.One of the saddest things I have witnessed when it comes to pets.
Oh my ~ that is sad! :(

Some pets are very sensitive!
Our English Springer Spaniel became physically ill when I was hospitalized one time; even though my hubby and 2 kids were home with her :o

I had been there a week and was improving, when he called to tell me he was concerned about her and going to take her to the vet.
I asked him to put the phone to her ear, and when I spoke to her she perked right up.
From the day I talked to her, she was back to herself, so I called daily to have her hear my voice and assure her I was ok!

Even though she was bonded to him with their bird training, she was devoted to me in my illness and recovery at home; never leaving my side!

What a blessing they are! :pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
We also had an English Springer, who when she turned 2, turned on us, but was great with strangers :confused: even with a person who broke into our home :o
After much searching, it seemed there was a question of her breeding and color (she was mostly liver and they can get aggressive ?).
Even the hunters wouldn't take her (she was a bird dog); sadly we had to put her down.

Once Penny has passed we won't get another dog; we saw what happened with my in-laws, who got a dog in their 70's; in their 80's they both ended up ill and eventually in nursing homes.
The poor dog was grieving for them, and had the stress of being bounced around between our home and theirs :(
Thankfully hubby and I could take him in (14 year old shih tzu) when they could no longer keep him; he knew us well, and had 1 happy year before he passed on.

We don't want to stress a dog out like that again, and we don't have any relatives that could take Penny.

I had a dog that took up with my mom..when she went into the nursing home, Beauty grieved herself to death.One of the saddest things I have witnessed when it comes to pets.

I think Gracie might grieve for me, if I went away...she is very attached to me...think she will be our last dog too...but I am so glad we have her now.

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Servant....that is such a beautiful story...what a wonderful dog you have.
Nikki died in 2001 at age 14, but yes, she was wonderful!
She was very loving, gentle, and protective even with children.... especially with babies and toddlers!
It was incredible to see her in action, rounding them up if they started to wander from us.... or laying gently on a blanket next to a baby :D

Our present dog Penny (in the avatar) is a lovely dog; as small as she is, she'd love and protect us with her life also.

We have been doubly blessed in our life :pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hubby told me about that :(
19...for a dog......WOW! :eek:
God bless them both! :pray:

Our Rolo is 18, and runs OUT each-morning, like a puppy
But, his back legs are really beginning to weaken
and he doesn't STAND for very long

Mary has taken this warm water 'thing' to heart
and proposes, to give him time, in warm water [in our bath]
We'll see how he copes, afterwards

:wave:

dave

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Our Rolo is 18, and runs OUT each-morning, like a puppy
But, his back legs are really beginning to weaken
and he doesn't STAND for very long

Mary has taken this warm water 'thing' to heart
and proposes, to give him time, in warm water [in our bath]
We'll see how he copes, afterwards

:wave:

dave
Awwww ~ you did mention that a while back, and I forgot!
Just amazing....especially for a dog his size (usually the smaller breeds live longer) :o
Bless his dear heart....and you and Mary both :pray: :hug:

Upvote 0

clairefish

Trying to do the right thing.
Nov 24, 2005
texas
Visit site
✟5,883.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If this picture were set to music, it couldn't be more beautiful. This is my brother (and next door neighbor) Skip. He professes to 'hate' cats. But here he is with Shorty, a neighboring cat who is not long for this world. He's petting him, stroking him, and talking so softly to him. I watched this for a few minutes and had to take a picture of it. Neither one of them knew I was there. I love my brother and I am pretty sure he does not hate cats. :)

Attachments

• skipnshortie.jpg
    skipnshortie.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.