Did Pickett's Charge pierce the Union line at Gettysburg?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Insufficient evidence

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
On another thread we got somewhat sidetracked (I know, imagine that) over Pickett's charge and the extent to which the Confederates did/did not pierce the Union lines. So, I thought I would drag that part of the discussion over here and maybe start a 2nd Civil War. So, did the Confederate Army pierce the Union line on July 3, 1863 during what has been called Pickett's Charge?.....and your evidence for your position.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
History records that Confederate Brigadier General Lewis Armistead, along with a handful of survivors of Pickett's Charge, crossed the stone wall at the Angle before being repulsed by a Union counterattack. On another thread this was vigourously disputed with the assertion that most attackers did not get far past the Emmitsburg Road well short of Union lines; that any Confederates that did get that far were wounded and unable to retreat. The evidence offered was lack of metallic Confederate items (buttons, belt buckles, bayonets) have not been found past the Union line.

"At the beginning of the war, Armistead commanded the 57th Virginia Infantry,and by April 1862 he was a brigadier general. He fought during the Seven Days Battles in June and July 1862, but played only minor roles at Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville. On July 3, 1863, he led a brigade in George Pickett’s division during the climactic charge at Gettysburg. Armistead’s men attacked Hancock’s corps at the center of the Union line on Cemetery Ridge. Armistead crossed the wall that protected the Federal cannon, representing the so-called high-water mark of the Confederacy. He fell wounded there, and the attack stalled. Armistead was found by Union Captain Henry Bingham, an aide to Hancock, and Armistead told him: “Say to General Hancock for me that I have done him and done you all an injury which I shall regret the longest day that I live.”"
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/lewis-armistead-born
General Armistead was reportedly a devout Christian.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I voted no, but I am unsure. Its an interesting question.
Based on other infantry charges against established lines under artillery fire, I doubt it, but these were different wars and not completely comparable. The preceeding artillery barrage was supposedly very ineffective. Also Longstreet did not think it would succeed. I am not American though, so my knowledge here is lacking.

As Pickett said when asked why his charge failed: "Always thought the Yankees had something to do with it".

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It did certainly pierce the Union front line, but just barely. It lacked strength by that point to go any further, and even with somewhat more strength it would not have succeeded--Pettigrew's and Trimble's and Trinble's divisions on Pickett's left didn't make it much past Emmittsburg Road, and Union forces were already being shifted to the area of attack.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, it was an all or nothing....no Confederate forces to exploit any breakthrough.....not Lee's finest day.

Lee was a great general and Gettysburg was his worst battle. Meade wasn't great but he was well above average and Gettysburg was his best battle. Actually I always thought that Meade didn't get the credit he deserved. Perhaps if he hadn't gotten the press against him...

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Lee was a great general and Gettysburg was his worst battle. Meade wasn't great but he was well above average and Gettysburg was his best battle. Actually I always thought that Meade didn't get the credit he deserved. Perhaps if he hadn't gotten the press against him...
Or been referred to as that "damned old goggled eyed snapping turtle".....not exactly a snappy phrase like "Fighting Joe Hooker".....

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Or been referred to as that "damned old goggled eyed snapping turtle".....not exactly a snappy phrase like "Fighting Joe Hooker".....
Very true.

Upvote 0