Pick up your bed and walk...

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I have a question which I would appreciate help with please. In John 5:1-18 Yeshua had gone to Jerusalem to celebrate the feast. He goes to the Pool of Bethesda. There He sees multiple sick, lame and blind waiting for the waters to stir, in hopes of being healed. He approaches a man who has been ill for 38 years and asks him if he wishes to get better. The man spoke of how he had tried to get into the pool all these years. Yeshua told him to get up, pick up his bed and walk.

Yeshua telling the man to carry his bed, was He was teaching him that it was permissible to violate the commands of HaShem?

Numbers 15:32-36
New International Version (NIV)
The Sabbath-Breaker Put to Death

32 While the Israelites were in the wilderness, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33 Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, 34 and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. 35 Then the LORD said to Moses, “The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp.” 36 So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.

Jeremiah 17:21-22
New International Version (NIV)
21 This is what the LORD says: Be careful not to carry a load on the Sabbath day or bring it through the gates of Jerusalem. 22 Do not bring a load out of your houses or do any work on the Sabbath, but keep the Sabbath day holy, as I commanded your ancestors.

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I have a question which I would appreciate help with please. In John 5:1-18 Yeshua had gone to Jerusalem to celebrate the feast. He goes to the Pool of Bethesda. There He sees multiple sick, lame and blind waiting for the waters to stir, in hopes of being healed. He approaches a man who has been ill for 38 years and asks him if he wishes to get better. The man spoke of how he had tried to get into the pool all these years. Yeshua told him to get up, pick up his bed and walk.

Yeshua telling the man to carry his bed, was He was teaching him that it was permissible to violate the commands of HaShem?

If you read that section of Jeremiah, the problem was that they were conducting business as usual on the Sabbath. Merchants brought goods in through the gates, and people brought items to trade from their houses. It wasn't about them just carrying something.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
If you read that section of Jeremiah, the problem was that they were conducting business as usual on the Sabbath. Merchants brought goods in through the gates, and people brought items to trade from their houses. It wasn't about them just carrying something.
So you are saying.. it is the purpose behind carrying the load that is where it falls apart as far as obedience goes.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He could carry his bed on Shabbat. It wasn't a bed but a mat. It would be permissible. However, the problem would be crossing domains (reshuyot). If he went from a public demain into a private domain, there would be a problem from within rabbinic Judaism.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
He could carry his bed on Shabbat. It wasn't a bed but a mat. It would be permissible. However, the problem would be crossing domains (reshuyot). If he went from a public demain into a private domain, there would be a problem from within rabbinic Judaism.

That's interesting. Would it then follow that taking his mat to the pool in the first place, from private to public, he would be in trouble? Or would it be ok this way round because he was blind, but after he received his sight he had no excuse?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship

Even if it had been someone else who had taken the matt out to the pool and for it to remain his, he would have to bring it back in. The original taker was not there. Don't all laws have their "unusual circumstances" "extinuating cirumstances" clause?

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Even if it had been someone else who had taken the matt out to the pool and for it to remain his, he would have to bring it back in. The original taker was not there. Don't all laws have their "unusual circumstances" "extinuating cirumstances" clause?

Perhaps there was an eruv? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Like 'dont make a fire on the Sabbath'? This *could* mean that starting one's car is off-limits, but i dont take it to mean that at all!

On what justification? Is there no fire in the combustion chambers? The bigger question would be what to make of electronic cars!! :)

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
What Im saying is, I think people can easily make the Sabbath itself a burden by worrying about every little aspect of how the words 'dont start a fire' is carried out. The law is a blessing, not a burden. It's man who makes God's laws into burdens by dictating all the possible, potential limitations of 'dont do'.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
What Im saying is, I think people can easily make the Sabbath itself a burden by worrying about every little aspect of how the words 'dont start a fire' is carried out. The law is a blessing, not a burden. It's man who makes God's laws into burdens by dictating all the possible, potential limitations of 'dont do'.
We don't find them to be a burden at all, it is the opposite. We delight
in fulfilling the commandments to our utmost ability.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Avodat

Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Like 'dont make a fire on the Sabbath'? This *could* mean that starting one's car is off-limits, but i dont take it to mean that at all!

Go to Jerusalem and see the expensive cars being stoned by Jewish youths because they are breaking the Sabbath! I've seen it myself.
Go to the Kotel and try taking photographs on Shabbat - you are likely to get into trouble for that, too. You are creating a picture on the Sabbath.

Shabbat was made for man, not vice versa. It was made for man's benefit to ensure total rest, not for man to abuse. Man was told to work at the land but G_d is not a hard task master and gave us Shabbat to ensure that we took a rest, had time for ourselves and families.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Wow thats shocking! I dont see how taking pictures could be anti-Shabbat. Its part of enjoying His creation. It is my hobby and I take great pleasure from taking photos of the people I love and God's lovely creation. And driving? How else could I go to the park or trail to enjoy nature?

Upvote 0

Avodat

Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Wow thats shocking! I dont see how taking pictures could be anti-Shabbat. Its part of enjoying His creation. It is my hobby and I take great pleasure from taking photos of the people I love and God's lovely creation. And driving? How else could I go to the park or trail to enjoy nature?

Yep, all good things, but not on the Sabbath in Jerusalem! There are 6 other days to do those things. The argument is against 'creating' - whether the spark to start the car or the image in the camera. As Yonah has pointed out, the issue of electric cars is the subject of some debate. Is it creating movement or is it 'work' to drive? We await the outcome with interest on this.

Upvote 0