Resident Meteorologist
Nov 7, 2003
Middletown, CT
✟16,488.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone, I need some Photoshop help. Actually, I"m using Jasc Paint Shop, so I'm sure there are some differences.

Anyway, I have attached the image I'm trying to edit, it's the first attachment below. Basically, I want to change the colors of the hearts from black to a maroon. I've tried to do it a couple of ways, both gave me poor results.

First I tried simply to select the hearts. The problem here is that the edges fade out, so when I selected an object, it really only selects the center, and doesn't appropriately catch the edges. I tried to fix this by simply expanding the area...but because the fading is not even around the entire image, I wind up getting lots of white space on one part while another part I still have not captured the entire edge. I've also tried feathering when I select, but I pretty much had the same problem. Then I just tried to manually select the edges, but I didn't know how to appropriately adjust the feathering. The end result is when I tried to paint over it is the second sample image. See how some edges are properly feathered...while others are not? Even if I could figure out how to get the whole area selected properly, when I paint over, it's kind of annoying because the black can still be seen underneath the red.

Next I tried a simple color replacement. But this resulted in simply a solid maroon heart, with not feathering around the edges. See the third attached image.

So is there a way to replace the black with maroon in such a way that it preserves the original feathering effect? So basically, Photoshop senses that the pixels around the edges are reduced in hue/saturation and adjust the maroon replacement accordingly?

I'm sure I'm not addressing my question in the clearest manner, but hopefully someone will get the idea of what I'm trying to say.

-Matt

Attachments

• hearts.jpg
    hearts.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 56
  • hearts2.jpg
    hearts2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 51
  • hearts3.jpg
    hearts3.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 56

mathias1979

Resident Meteorologist
Nov 7, 2003
Middletown, CT
✟16,488.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I forgot to mention that I did try that approach...but I must be doing something wrong. I tried it both on Photoshop (which we have at work) and Jasc Paint Shop. I adjusted hue and saturation, but for some reason the black tones aren't altered at all...so below is my end result. Can you walk me what you did to get your results?

Attachments

• hearts4.jpg
    hearts4.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0

Skymon

Jun 17, 2004
Cherry Creek, New York
Visit site
✟15,548.00
Faith
Christian
Sure thing. I forgot about the black not changing hue, so...I had to kinda cheat. :)

First I changed it from greyscale to RGB. Then I covered the entire picture with maroon using the paintbrush tool set on the "screen" option. And that's it. That should do it!

Sorry about the hue change thing not working...my bad.

Upvote 0

mathias1979

Resident Meteorologist
Nov 7, 2003
Middletown, CT
✟16,488.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
but if I just use a maroon paintbrush...it turns the entire image maroon. If I select the exact pixels of the heart (without feathering), it turns them all to the same shade of maroon, no fading around the edges. If I select the pixels with feathering, I have trouble getting the exact pixels I actually want. I just wish there was a simple way to say, I want the entire thing maroon, but I want the fading effect around the heart preserved, so that the paintbrush tool would adjust those faded pixels accordingly.

Here's what I ended up doing, I was able to select the exact pixels without feathering, and just turned the entire thing maroon. Then, I expanded my selection by 1pixel, and did an average blur. The result looks good, although there was some slight distortion, but what can you do? Here's my end result:

Attachments

• hearts2.jpg
    hearts2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0

mathias1979

Resident Meteorologist
Nov 7, 2003
Middletown, CT
✟16,488.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ha ha...yeah...right after I posted that last message I went back and began trying all the different brush options. Screen is what I wanted. Thanks for the help! Enjoy the blessings ;)

Here's the original and the final, just the way I wanted them.

-Matt

Attachments

• hearts.jpg
    hearts.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 53
  • heartsmaroon.jpg
    heartsmaroon.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matt, glad you got your problem solved. Yes, the blending modes are awesome little things. Another one besides screen that might work well for what you were doing is Overlay. Make your original image greyscale, then make another layer and set it to Overlay and then paint with the color of your choice. :)

Upvote 0