Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our next photopost series will be of your churches with the Crosses, statues and paintings veiled for Passiontide. Please send your pictures to photopost@newliturgicalmovement.org for inclusion; remember to give us the name and location of the church, and always feel free to add any other information you think important. It’s not a bad idea to include a shot or two of the church before the veils are put up. We will also be glad to include any pictures of rose-colored vestments on Laetare Sunday, celebrations of the feast of St Joseph, or today’s feast of the Annunciation.

This has consistently been one of our most popular photopost series; last year, we made three separate posts, with nearly 90 photographs from nearly 30 different churches around the world. As usual, here is a bit of retrospective.

From the first post: the high altar of Santissima Trinità dei Pellegrini, the FSSP church in Rome.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the days before the Second Vatican Council’s liturgical forms, Lent had a different shape. I write ad nauseum every year about Septuagisima and the other pre-Lent Sundays, but there is another major difference as well: Passiontide.

In the pre-Vatican II calendar – still used, of course, by those who celebrate the TLM and the Ordinariate, many Anglicans and even Lutherans, this fifth Sunday of Lent is called Passion Sunday and begins the two weeks of Passiontide.

I’ll begin with the Lutherans and Anglicans because, as I do with the issue of ad orientem, I think it’s important to situation the matter in a broader context, so that we can perhaps see that this is not just a niche issue for stuck-in-the-past Catholics but does have, dare I say it – an ecumenical dimension.

From a Lutheran church in Michigan – the explanation of Passiontide even references Guéranger, which is something you’re not going to find in many Catholic churches these days are you?

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The first of the following excerpts from William Durandus’ Rationale Divinorum Officiorum, 6.60.3-4 and 7-9, is based on St Augustine’s division of sacred history into four periods: before the giving of the law to Moses; under the law; under grace, i.e. from the Incarnation to the end of the world; and then finally, in peace, after the Lord’s Second Coming.

The reasons for which the Lord’s Passion is remembered for two weeks before Easter are these: first, because He himself suffered for two peoples, at the hands of two peoples; second, because through those two weeks, we express the two Testaments, the Old, which foretold that the Lord would suffer, and the New, which showed Him suffering; third, because in the two ages of this world, that is, before the Law and under the Law, that same passion was foretold; fourth, so that these two weeks may recall to our memory the murmuring of those who before the law and under the law were in hell (i.e., the Limbo of the Fathers, whose murmuring expresses their longing for Christ), until the time of grace, which is signified in the third week, that is the week of Easter. For from this day, on which “Glory be to the Father...” is omitted, there are two weeks until Easter. But then there is the third week, in which all the glorification that was omitted is restored, for in the third time, which is under grace, all the benefits which our fathers in the Church awaited are rendered to them.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are now in Passiontide.

From this Sunday, traditionally called 1st Sunday of the Passion, it is customary to veil images in churches. In the Gospel in traditional Form of the Roman Rite we hear:

Tulérunt ergo lápides, ut iácerent in eum: Iesus autem abscóndit se, et exívit de templo. …

They therefore took up stones to cast at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out from the temple.

And so, on this Sunday, the Church traditionally hides the Lord and other images with veils, usually purple.

This is a fine old tradition. It has to do with deprivation of the senses and the liturgical dying of the Church in preparation for the Lord’s tomb and resurrection. We do this to sense something of the humiliation of the Lord as he enters His Passion, something of His interior suffering.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At that time, Jesus said to the multitudes of the Jews: Which of you shall convince Me of sin? If I say the truth to you, why do you not believe Me? He that is of God, heareth the words of God. Therefore you hear them not, because you are not of God. The Jews therefore answered, and said to Him: Do not we say well, that Thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil? Jesus answered: I have not a devil, but I honor My Father, and you have dishonored Me. But I seek not My own glory; there is One that seeketh and judgeth. Amen, amen, I say to you, If any man keep My word, he shall not see death for ever. The Jews therefore said: Now we know that Thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and Thou sayest: If any man keep My word, he shall not taste death for ever. Art Thou greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? and the prophets are dead. Whom dost Thou make Thyself? Jesus answered: If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing. It is My Father that glorifieth Me, of Whom you say that He is your God. And you have not known Him; but I know Him. And if I shall say that I know Him not, I shall be like to you, a liar. But I do know Him, and do keep his word. Abraham your father rejoiced that he might see My day: he saw it, and was glad. The Jews therefore said to Him: Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham? Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham was made, I AM. They took up stones therefore to cast at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple.

Continued below.

Upvote 0