Perth
✟8,044.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is my very first thread and I’m not entirely sure of how to create a new thread to which I and others can post articles about philosophy and faith. Please be patient with me and if I’ve gone about this incorrectly, just let me know where I’ve gone wrong so that I can sort it all out. Thanks! Dave.

Here’s my first article. Your feedback and critique are always most welcome.

Identity and Self Worth - Spiritual Identity:

Who are we? Our identity is not what we do or what we have, it's who we are as a human being, in a spiritual sense. When you look in the mirror what do you see and how does it make you feel? Are you content, or do you wish for something or someone different? If so, the following may help. Life is much more than what we do each day and more than the sum of what we own. These things are transient, though necessary and in some instances valuable as contributions to society. Jobs and careers come and go as we navigate our way through life. Wealth and possessions, material things that make our lives comfortable and enjoyable, are not the measure of our success as a human being. At any time, no matter how we try to avoid it, they can be taken away. Perhaps the stock market crashes. Perhaps you have to part with everything you own due to a broken marriage. If you base your self worth on what you do and possess, you will find yourself on a very steep emotional roller coaster, because your self esteem is not constant, varying due to events that you may have little or no control over. What is constant is who you have developed into as a human being. This doesn't change when your bank balance goes up or down, or when you're promoted or made redundant at work. Your identity as a person is shaped by: the moral code you live by, events in your life as experienced through the filter of your moral code, your interpersonal relationships, the wisdom you have accumulated from the lessons you have learned in life, how you apply that wisdom, and lastly, how you relate to yourself and others. A moral code is a set of self imposed rules that dictate how we react when we are required to make a decision that impacts on our own life or the lives of others. These rules are imparted on us by our parents and other teachers, and learned as we experience the consequences of our reactions under different sets of circumstances. Such rules, which we live by, are founded on our concept of what we know to be right and wrong, which we learn at an early age by observing the actions of others and the consequences that result. They are also bound by the care that we have for ourselves and the empathy that we have for others. Self respect and empathy develop as we grow emotionally. We experience life through the filter of our moral code, directing our thoughts and behaviour. As we go through life our moral code is continually refined by the punishments and rewards that we receive for our actions. In judging ourselves and being judged by society, implicitly or explicitly, our moral code is shaped and reinforced over time to the point where it becomes instinctive, for better or for worse depending on what we have learned and how we behave. On the subject of judgment, unless someone is genuinely obliged or is acting altruistically, they have no moral grounds on which to pass judgment upon someone else. Judging to compensate for something lacking in oneself doesn't prove you to be a better person than the one whom you are judging, because everyone has value in different ways and is valuable to different people. Cutting someone down to feel better about oneself is malicious because it can damage that person's self esteem if the faith they have in themselves is weakened. However, strong faith in oneself is unaffected by unfair judgment. Just because someone has little value to you it doesn't automatically mean that they have little value at all. Who we are then, is the person we see ourselves to be, based on our morals, our faith in ourselves, our wisdom and the life experiences that created it. This can all be summed up as our 'spiritual identity'. It is the one thing about us that when fully developed, remains constant in the sea of change that is our lives. It is independent of how we make our living, what we possess, our memberships, and all of the other things that fluctuate around us. Basing your identity and sense of value on something that is consistent creates a positive mindset that can be maintained regardless of what life throws your way. Such a state of mind gives you the resilience necessary to thrive despite the many difficulties you will encounter in life, and it will endure for the rest of your life. That's true value.

David Vitali 2017.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
This is my very first thread and I’m not entirely sure of how to create a new thread to which I and others can post articles about philosophy and faith. Please be patient with me and if I’ve gone about this incorrectly, just let me know where I’ve gone wrong so that I can sort it all out. Thanks! Dave.

Who are we? Our identity is not what we do or what we have, it's who we are as a human being, in a spiritual sense. When you look in the mirror what do you see and how does it make you feel? Are you content, or do you wish for something or someone different? If so, the following may help. Life is much more than what we do each day and more than the sum of what we own. These things are transient, though necessary and in some instances valuable as contributions to society. Jobs and careers come and go as we navigate our way through life. Wealth and possessions, material things that make our lives comfortable and enjoyable, are not the measure of our success as a human being. At any time, no matter how we try to avoid it, they can be taken away. Perhaps the stock market crashes. Perhaps you have to part with everything you own due to a broken marriage. If you base your self worth on what you do and possess, you will find yourself on a very steep emotional roller coaster, because your self esteem is not constant, varying due to events that you may have little or no control over. What is constant is who you have developed into as a human being. This doesn't change when your bank balance goes up or down, or when you're promoted or made redundant at work. Your identity as a person is shaped by: the moral code you live by, events in your life as experienced through the filter of your moral code, your interpersonal relationships, the wisdom you have accumulated from the lessons you have learned in life, how you apply that wisdom, and lastly, how you relate to yourself and others. A moral code is a set of self imposed rules that dictate how we react when we are required to make a decision that impacts on our own life or the lives of others. These rules are imparted on us by our parents and other teachers, and learned as we experience the consequences of our reactions under different sets of circumstances. Such rules, which we live by, are founded on our concept of what we know to be right and wrong, which we learn at an early age by observing the actions of others and the consequences that result. They are also bound by the care that we have for ourselves and the empathy that we have for others. Self respect and empathy develop as we grow emotionally. We experience life through the filter of our moral code, directing our thoughts and behaviour. As we go through life our moral code is continually refined by the punishments and rewards that we receive for our actions. In judging ourselves and being judged by society, implicitly or explicitly, our moral code is shaped and reinforced over time to the point where it becomes instinctive, for better or for worse depending on what we have learned and how we behave. On the subject of judgment, unless someone is genuinely obliged or is acting altruistically, they have no moral grounds on which to pass judgment upon someone else. Judging to compensate for something lacking in oneself doesn't prove you to be a better person than the one whom you are judging, because everyone has value in different ways and is valuable to different people. Cutting someone down to feel better about oneself is malicious because it can damage that person's self esteem if the faith they have in themselves is weakened. However, strong faith in oneself is unaffected by unfair judgment. Just because someone has little value to you it doesn't automatically mean that they have little value at all. Who we are then, is the person we see ourselves to be, based on our morals, our faith in ourselves, our wisdom and the life experiences that created it. This can all be summed up as our 'spiritual identity'. It is the one thing about us that when fully developed, remains constant in the sea of change that is our lives. It is independent of how we make our living, what we possess, our memberships, and all of the other things that fluctuate around us. Basing your identity and sense of value on something that is consistent creates a positive mindset that can be maintained regardless of what life throws your way. Such a state of mind gives you the resilience necessary to thrive despite the many difficulties you will encounter in life, and it will endure for the rest of your life. That's true value.

David Vitali 2017.

David Vitali 2017.

Dear David

It is not enough to have a message. To be accepted/understood the message must be delivered in a digestible form. It must be readable.

You have provided a huge slab of text which is indigestible to the average reader. Please get used to grouping ideas in a logical way and breaking your text up into logical paragraphs with spaces between.

Avoid preaching. Your reader will not appreciate being preached at.

Avoid creating the impression of absolute certainty - it suggests arrogance. Use words like might, could, possibly to convey the impression that you are open to discussion/opinion.

I started to read your post but gave up - I suspect I am not alone.
OB

Upvote 0

David Vitali

Dec 21, 2017
Perth
✟8,044.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear David

It is not enough to have a message. To be accepted/understood the message must be delivered in a digestible form. It must be readable.

You have provided a huge slab of text which is indigestible to the average reader. Please get used to grouping ideas in a logical way and breaking your text up into logical paragraphs with spaces between.

Avoid preaching. Your reader will not appreciate being preached at.

Avoid creating the impression of absolute certainty - it suggests arrogance. Use words like might, could, possibly to convey the impression that you are open to discussion/opinion.

I started to read your post but gave up - I suspect I am not alone.
OB
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. I’m unsure if you quite grasp the purpose of the post: it’s a philosophical article, which is a point of view, more subjective than objective, written to provoke thought and reaction, as opposed to a highly structured statement of fact. It’s a loosely bound collection of hypotheticals, thoughts feelings and arguments, unscientific in nature, neither proven nor disproven. It’s unfortunate that you got the impression of an arrogant preacher coming through in my writing because I am anything but, and that’s supported by the feedback I’ve received on my work over the years. Your point of view is of course both valid and valuable, but it’s also unfortunate that you chose the path of - let’s say - “negativity” rather than a positive one based on constructive criticism and encouragement, particularly given that this was a first post, as detailed in the fine print ;) A bristling welcome such as yours indicates enough about a person without needing to understand the specific motivation for it. I’m an upbeat and positive person, secure in myself, my work and my faith, and I choose to share of that with others like in kind. CF is not the place for me, and with all due respect to yourself and others, I shall withdraw my membership immediately. I wish everyone at CF a very happy and safe Christmas season, and a prosperous and exciting 2018! :) DV.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. I’m unsure if you quite grasp the purpose of the post: it’s a philosophical article, which is a point of view, more subjective than objective, written to provoke thought and reaction, as opposed to a highly structured statement of fact. It’s a loosely bound collection of hypotheticals, thoughts feelings and arguments, unscientific in nature, neither proven nor disproven. It’s unfortunate that you got the impression of an arrogant preacher coming through in my writing because I am anything but, and that’s supported by the feedback I’ve received on my work over the years. Your point of view is of course both valid and valuable, but it’s also unfortunate that you chose the path of - let’s say - “negativity” rather than a positive one based on constructive criticism and encouragement, particularly given that this was a first post, as detailed in the fine print ;) A bristling welcome such as yours indicates enough about a person without needing to understand the specific motivation for it. I’m an upbeat and positive person, secure in myself, my work and my faith, and I choose to share of that with others like in kind. CF is not the place for me, and with all due respect to yourself and others, I shall withdraw my membership immediately. I wish everyone at CF a very happy and safe Christmas season, and a prosperous and exciting 2018! :) DV.

David. I apologise. On re reading my response I can see that it was abrupt and lacking in tact.

While the style of my response was wrong I stand by the substance of my critique. The problem lies not in your ideas but in their presentation. Your points, no matter how valid, will be lost if your audience doesn't read them - but I've said enough.

Hang around. I'm sure that you will find kindred Christian spirits in the CF population.

Grumpy old atheists like me are a tolerated minority.
OB

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't go!!! I like your thinking.

It would be easier to read if paragraphs were added though. It's sort of like taking a breath while talking. It gives the reader a chance to absorb the thought before beginning to receive the next thought. Otherwise it requires this manual pause on part of the reader, and most people are too impatient to make this effort gladly.

Your thoughts are clear and easy to separate though, it's just for the people who are impatient, who carry a lot of anxiety from their daily lives, they are easily provoked to switch off and click the back button at even the first opportunity.

I know all this because it is a natural human behaviour, of which I am both a subject and an observer.

This website does have a larger proportion of people who are likely to unload the stress of their daily lives onto those who don't deserve it, than those who are reasonable and pleasant; - but, you know, that this is exactly why I am encouraging you to stay! Many things could be said in that regard, perhaps Jeremiah 15:19 and Proverbs 28:12 could encourage you to endure, and Matthew 9:36 (Zechariah 13:7, Romans 8:20-21) should give you some motivation. Romans 12:21 should inspire you to be enthusiastic, because 1 John 4:8 and Romans 10:14-15.

"Whoever moreover anyhow might have the goods of the world and might see the brother of him need having, and might close up the heart of him from him, how the love of God abides in him?"
1 John 3:17, INT

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A moral code is a set of self imposed rules that dictate how we react when we are required to make a decision that impacts on our own life or the lives of others. These rules are imparted on us by our parents and other teachers, and learned as we experience the consequences of our reactions under different sets of circumstances. Such rules, which we live by, are founded on our concept of what we know to be right and wrong, which we learn at an early age by observing the actions of others and the consequences that result. They are also bound by the care that we have for ourselves and the empathy that we have for others. Self respect and empathy develop as we grow emotionally.
I have never seen this truth vocalised so precisely. I do hope you will overcome this wee hurdle to keep sharing such talents where it may have real impact on lives. He certainly will make use of you in this constructive way, if you make yourself available. Rise up and speak boldly, for Him!

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not passing comment on your article, but (possibly in sympathy as a fellow Australian), I broke your article up into paragraphs to make it easier to read.

To be honest, at first I wasn't even going to read your article as it was so congested, but the positive comments by some others prompted me to at least take the trouble to look at it.

As Occam's Barber (also Australian I note) wrote -

That's good advice, and if you want people to read your stuff, then you need to start making breaking up your text into paragraphs, with each paragraph dealing with a specific idea.

Your article follows, in modified form. The text remains unchanged, but I think it's a bit easier to read with some white space between ideas.

Who are we?

Our identity is not what we do or what we have, it's who we are as a human being, in a spiritual sense. When you look in the mirror what do you see and how does it make you feel? Are you content, or do you wish for something or someone different? If so, the following may help.

Life is much more than what we do each day and more than the sum of what we own. These things are transient, though necessary and in some instances valuable as contributions to society. Jobs and careers come and go as we navigate our way through life. Wealth and possessions, material things that make our lives comfortable and enjoyable, are not the measure of our success as a human being.

At any time, no matter how we try to avoid it, they can be taken away. Perhaps the stock market crashes. Perhaps you have to part with everything you own due to a broken marriage. If you base your self worth on what you do and possess, you will find yourself on a very steep emotional roller coaster, because your self esteem is not constant, varying due to events that you may have little or no control over.

What is constant is who you have developed into as a human being. This doesn't change when your bank balance goes up or down, or when you're promoted or made redundant at work. Your identity as a person is shaped by: the moral code you live by, events in your life as experienced through the filter of your moral code, your interpersonal relationships, the wisdom you have accumulated from the lessons you have learned in life, how you apply that wisdom, and lastly, how you relate to yourself and others.

A moral code is a set of self imposed rules that dictate how we react when we are required to make a decision that impacts on our own life or the lives of others. These rules are imparted on us by our parents and other teachers, and learned as we experience the consequences of our reactions under different sets of circumstances.

Such rules, which we live by, are founded on our concept of what we know to be right and wrong, which we learn at an early age by observing the actions of others and the consequences that result. They are also bound by the care that we have for ourselves and the empathy that we have for others. Self respect and empathy develop as we grow emotionally.

We experience life through the filter of our moral code, directing our thoughts and behaviour. As we go through life our moral code is continually refined by the punishments and rewards that we receive for our actions. In judging ourselves and being judged by society, implicitly or explicitly, our moral code is shaped and reinforced over time to the point where it becomes instinctive, for better or for worse depending on what we have learned and how we behave.

On the subject of judgment, unless someone is genuinely obliged or is acting altruistically, they have no moral grounds on which to pass judgment upon someone else. Judging to compensate for something lacking in oneself doesn't prove you to be a better person than the one whom you are judging, because everyone has value in different ways and is valuable to different people.

Cutting someone down to feel better about oneself is malicious because it can damage that person's self esteem if the faith they have in themselves is weakened. However, strong faith in oneself is unaffected by unfair judgment. Just because someone has little value to you it doesn't automatically mean that they have little value at all.

Who we are then, is the person we see ourselves to be, based on our morals, our faith in ourselves, our wisdom and the life experiences that created it.

This can all be summed up as our 'spiritual identity'. It is the one thing about us that when fully developed, remains constant in the sea of change that is our lives. It is independent of how we make our living, what we possess, our memberships, and all of the other things that fluctuate around us.

Basing your identity and sense of value on something that is consistent creates a positive mindset that can be maintained regardless of what life throws your way. Such a state of mind gives you the resilience necessary to thrive despite the many difficulties you will encounter in life, and it will endure for the rest of your life.

That's true value.

David Vitali 2017.

Upvote 0