Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Martin Luther, referring to his dog Tolpel, once said the following about dogs and other animals being in Heaven:

"Certainly there will be, for Peter calls that day the time of the restitution of all things. Then, as clearly said elsewhere, he will create new Tolpels with skin of gold and hair of pearls. There and then God will be all in all. No animal will eat any other. Snakes and toads and other beasts which are poisonous on account of original sin will then be not only innocuous but even pleasing and nice to play with. Why is it that we cannot believe all things will happen as the Bible says, even in this article of resurrection? Original sin is at fault."

More recently Pope Paul VI said, “One day we will see our pets in the eternity of Christ.”

I know that this is a matter of dispute, that some Christians do not believe that pets will be in Heaven. I certainly believe that my beloved kitties will be waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge.

So, were Luther and Pope Paul correct? Will our pets be with us in Heaven?

I originally posted this in the Lutheran Forum, but wanted to get more input, plus I thought it would be nice to discuss something that wasn't election related.

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Martin Luther, referring to his dog Tolpel, once said the following about dogs and other animals being in Heaven:

"Certainly there will be, for Peter calls that day the time of the restitution of all things. Then, as clearly said elsewhere, he will create new Tolpels with skin of gold and hair of pearls. There and then God will be all in all. No animal will eat any other. Snakes and toads and other beasts which are poisonous on account of original sin will then be not only innocuous but even pleasing and nice to play with. Why is it that we cannot believe all things will happen as the Bible says, even in this article of resurrection? Original sin is at fault."

More recently Pope Paul VI said, “One day we will see our pets in the eternity of Christ.”

I know that this is a matter of dispute, that some Christians do not believe that pets will be in Heaven. I certainly believe that my beloved kitties will be waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge.

I originally posted this in the Lutheran Forum, but wanted to get more input, plus I thought it would be nice to discuss something that wasn't election related.

The short answer is: We won't know until we get there :)

I'd like to believe our pets will be waiting for us. But then the follow up question is: will ALL animals who've died be there? What determines if an animal goes to Heaven or not? Must they be loved by a person in order to qualify?

Animals are spoken of as being in the afterlife with us ("The lion will lie down with the lamb"). But whether that includes pets or not, I can't say. I sure hope so.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I heard/read somewhere that child asked his father if his pet dog would be in heaven. The father said he didn't know let's go ask the pastor. The pastor said if God thinks you need your dog to be happy he will be there.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well the biggest problem with a pet being in heaven is they have to be a pet forever. Would you want to be a cat forever? I don't think anyone would.
My kitties don't seem to mind being cats.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

i agree with Martin Luther. God loves His creatures, and that is why He created them in the first place.Why would He "omit" them in Heaven?

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well the biggest problem with a pet being in heaven is they have to be a pet forever. Would you want to be a cat forever? I don't think anyone would.

Some bigger problems than that would be this. Assuming there are souls now in heaven, meaning humans, well they don't stay in that state for forever. Eventually they are resurrected and given a new body. The same would have to be true of any pets, except where does the Bible ever mention pets are also resurrected, then given a new body, and that they too receive eternal life?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Things are more than they seem. I love cats as well but I love them enough to understand if they wouldn't want to be a cat forever as well.

Mine just think they are part of the family. I don't think they are capable of even pondering they could be anything other than a cat, that is if they even know they are cats.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
where does the Bible ever mention pets are also resurrected, then given a new body, and that they too receive eternal life?

Yeah one of the biggest problems is immortality. Which pets would need to live with us forever. It's not so much that it is outside of God's power to grant it to them but we would need to know what the requirements are for immortality and if it would even make sense to have a pet for eternity.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was thinking about posting what I thought was scripture that stated nothing wthout a soul can enter into heaven, but can't seem to find it. Id be pleased to know l got that wrong, does anyone recall auch scripture?

But either way, I think the new Jerusalem is heaven. If l understand correctly, that city, on the new earth will be where we'll live and is considered actual heaven. Point being, even if nothing without a soul (And I hope I'm wrong on that) were not allowed in heaven, then it surely would be allowed outside of the gates.

If there is no rule nothing without a soul can enter the city of heaven, I have very little doubt we will have pets in heaven, and unlike now with restrictions and all, big cats, exotic animals and such should be no problem.

Im thinking an albino tiger. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was thinking about posting what I thought was scripture that stated nothing wthout a soul can enter into heaven, but can't seem to find it. Id be pleased to know l got that wrong, does anyone recall auch scripture?

But either way, I think we're thinking of the new Jerusalem as heaven. If l understand correctly, that city, on the new earth will be where we'll live and is considered actual heaven. Point being, even if nothing without a soul (And I hope I'm wrong on that) were not allowed in heaven, then it surely would be allowed outside of the gates.

If there is no rule nothing without a soul can enter the city of heaven, I have very little doubt we will have pets in heaven, and unlike now with restrictions and all, big cats, exotic animals and such should be no problem.

Im thinking an albino tiger. :)
As a rabid animal lover, I would like to be put in charge of a herd of heavenly horses. And flocks of birds. A few flocks of sheep and goats. A pack of wolves. Just give me all the animals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Things are more than they seem. I love cats as well but I love them enough to understand if they wouldn't want to be a cat forever as well.
I recall reading one time that dogs realize that we humans are not dogs but cats see us as being fellow cats. Big, clumsy, slow but still cats. My big guy sleeps 16-18 hours per day, doesn’t have to go to work, has his needs taken care of. Why would he want to be anything else?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some bigger problems than that would be this. Assuming there are souls now in heaven, meaning humans, well they don't stay in that state for forever. Eventually they are resurrected and given a new body. The same would have to be true of any pets, except where does the Bible ever mention pets are also resurrected, then given a new body, and that they too receive eternal life?
If you read the OP you know that Luther believed that his dog would have a new body in heaven. Scripture never says that pets will be resurrected, but it doesn’t say that they won’t.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah one of the biggest problems is immortality. Which pets would need to live with us forever. It's not so much that it is outside of God's power to grant it to them but we would need to know what the requirements are for immortality and if it would even make sense to have a pet for eternity.
I would have no objection to spending eternity with my kitties. Last year I had to have my left leg amputated because of an infected broken bone. Before I went in the hospital I was in bed in great pain. One afternoon my little girl hopped up in bed with me carrying her favorite toy in her mouth, a stuffed white mouse. She looked directly into my eyes for a few seconds, then dropped the mouse in front of me. I think she knew that I wasn’t feeling well and thought her favorite toy would make me feel better. Both she and my big guy spent time lying next to me. That’s love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

God will bless His people with eternal life as a gift of His grace when Jesus comes again (2 Timothy 1:10). So if the all-powerful God of the universe wants to surprise us with the gift of resurrected kittens, puppies, horses, fish, rabbits, birds, turtles, or whatever other critters we love on this earth — He is certainly able to do so.

Remember, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him” (1 Corinthians 2:9 NJKV).

I thank the Lord for the many wonderful animal companions He has given me over my life-time ... all have been a blessing and a joy!

We do know ... there will be animals on the new earth .... and I'm very happy about that.

Whatever the answer is on this one, no one will be disappointed. We’ll just have to make sure we are there, then wait and see!

Upvote 0