Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The term "breaking bread" is in reference to Matthew 26:26.

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Matthew 26:26.
Obviously that's how you read it, but the walk to Emmaus story refutes this,

Luke 24: 29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.
30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Obviously that's how you read it, but the walk to Emmaus story refutes this,

Luke 24: 29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.
30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
How does that refute it?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That Peter seen all manner of animals but would eat nothing. Because that which was clean was now common because it intermingled with the unclean animals.
Peter seeing this said that he never ate anything common or unclean making a distinction between the two. types of animals he did see.
And the voice from heaven answered Him and said, "what God has cleansed call thou not common." With that being understood God never mentions the unclean only that which was made common by it's interaction with the unclean. This point is missed by most.

It is also worthy of a mention that the Greek word here in Acts 10 translated common is the same Greek word used in Romans 14.
Let that sink in for a moment.

Acts 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
Acts 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
Acts 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
Acts 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
Acts 10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
That's a good point. In Peter's vision there had been both clean and unclean animals in the sheet. The Jews were so legalistic just the proximity of the clean animals to the unclean animals made the clean animals unfit for food(common). I had not realized this before. I had to go read the SDA Bible commentary to pick up on this as it brings this out.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That Peter seen all manner of animals but would eat nothing. Because that which was clean was now common because it intermingled with the unclean animals.
Peter seeing this said that he never ate anything common or unclean making a distinction between the two. types of animals he did see.
And the voice from heaven answered Him and said, "what God has cleansed call thou not common." With that being understood God never mentions the unclean only that which was made common by it's interaction with the unclean. This point is missed by most.

It is also worthy of a mention that the Greek word here in Acts 10 translated common is the same Greek word used in Romans 14.
Let that sink in for a moment.

Acts 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
Acts 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
Acts 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
Acts 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
Acts 10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
I'm still not getting what you're getting at.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's a good point. In Peter's vision there had been both clean and unclean animals in the sheet. The Jews were so legalistic just the proximity of the clean animals to the unclean animals made the clean animals unfit for food(common). I had not realized this before. I had to go read the SDA Bible commentary to pick up on this as it brings this out.
And...?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It shows that all mention of breaking bread does not refer to communion.
How was it not communion? If anything it supports the view that the Eucharist has supernatural properties as their eyes were opened when they ate it. Ordinary bread bread eaten as a common meal doesn't create that effect.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Peter was still under the influence of the Pharisees and their hatred of Gentiles as the common man among the Jews were taught their entire lives that the Rabbi's words were to be considered as the words of God,

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How was it not communion? If anything it supports the view that the Eucharist has supernatural properties as their eyes were opened when they ate it. Ordinary bread bread eaten as a common meal doesn't create that effect.
They were simply eating their supper after a 20 mile hike.

These disciples knew Jesus personally and hadn't recognized His voice during that long hike too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Peter was still under the influence of the Pharisees and their hatred of Gentiles as the common man among the Jews were taught their entire lives that the Rabbi's words were to be considered as the words of God,
He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean. Acts 10:28

Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son. Deuteronomy 7:3

Do not associate with these nations that remain among you; do not invoke the names of their gods or swear by them. You must not serve them or bow down to them. Joshua 23:7

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They were simply eating their supper after a 20 mile hike.

These disciples knew Jesus personally and hadn't recognized His voice during that long hike too.
The fact that eating the bread that Jesus broke opened their eyes makes it clear that's incorrect.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean. Acts 10:28

Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son. Deuteronomy 7:3

Do not associate with these nations that remain among you; do not invoke the names of their gods or swear by them. You must not serve them or bow down to them. Joshua 23:7
You must not be very familiar with OT scripture as you are reading it the same way the Pharisees did.

Exodus 22: 21 ¶Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Exodus 29: 9 ¶Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.*n5

Leviticus 19: 33 ¶And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him.*n6

Leviticus 22: 17 ¶And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
18 Speak unto Aaron, and to his sons, and unto all the children of Israel, and say unto them, Whatsoever he be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers in Israel, that will offer his oblation for all his vows, and for all his freewill offerings, which they will offer unto the Lord for a burnt offering;
19 Ye shall offer at your own will a male without blemish, of the beeves, of the sheep, or of the goats.
20 But whatsoever hath a blemish, that shall ye not offer: for it shall not be acceptable for you.
21 And whosoever offereth a sacrifice of peace offerings unto the Lord to accomplish his vow, or a freewill offering in beeves or sheep, it shall be perfect to be accepted; there shall be no blemish therein.*n5

Exodus 12: 48 And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the Lord, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof.
49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Isaiah 56: 2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.
3 ¶Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

Numbers 15: 14 And if a stranger sojourn with you, or whosoever be among you in your generations, and will offer an offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the Lord; as ye do, so he shall do.
15 One ordinance shall be both for you of the congregation, and also for the stranger that sojourneth with you, an ordinance for ever in your generations: as ye are, so shall the stranger be before the Lord.
16 One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.

Numbers 15: 29 Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.*n4
30 ¶But the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people

The word in Hebrew translated as stranger means foreigner which is the same meaning as the Greek word translated as Gentile.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The fact that eating the bread that Jesus broke opened their eyes makes it clear that's incorrect.
You're entitled to your own opinion, but the context of scripture has infinitely more meaning to me that any human tradition.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You must not be very familiar with OT scripture as you are reading it the same way the Pharisees did.

Exodus 22: 21 ¶Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Exodus 29: 9 ¶Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.*n5

Leviticus 19: 33 ¶And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him.*n6

Leviticus 22: 17 ¶And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
18 Speak unto Aaron, and to his sons, and unto all the children of Israel, and say unto them, Whatsoever he be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers in Israel, that will offer his oblation for all his vows, and for all his freewill offerings, which they will offer unto the Lord for a burnt offering;
19 Ye shall offer at your own will a male without blemish, of the beeves, of the sheep, or of the goats.
20 But whatsoever hath a blemish, that shall ye not offer: for it shall not be acceptable for you.
21 And whosoever offereth a sacrifice of peace offerings unto the Lord to accomplish his vow, or a freewill offering in beeves or sheep, it shall be perfect to be accepted; there shall be no blemish therein.*n5

Exodus 12: 48 And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the Lord, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof.
49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Isaiah 56: 2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.
3 ¶Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

Numbers 15: 14 And if a stranger sojourn with you, or whosoever be among you in your generations, and will offer an offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the Lord; as ye do, so he shall do.
15 One ordinance shall be both for you of the congregation, and also for the stranger that sojourneth with you, an ordinance for ever in your generations: as ye are, so shall the stranger be before the Lord.
16 One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.

Numbers 15: 29 Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.*n4
30 ¶But the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people

The word in Hebrew translated as stranger means foreigner which is the same meaning as the Greek word translated as Gentile.
I'm not seeing where God is saying it's alright to socialize with them. Unless they "join themselves to the Lord" which probably means proselytes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're entitled to your own opinion, but the context of scripture has infinitely more meaning to me that any human tradition.
I'm going by context, you're avoiding it. Why were their eyes opened by eating the bread?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not seeing where God is saying it's alright to socialize with them. Unless they "join themselves to the Lord" which probably means proselytes.
God never said it wasn't The rabbi's did. That was the point of all the scripture. Thou shalt not vex a stranger and one law for both mean nothing to you?

The Talmud is the rabbi's "Bible" to this day and it teaches that people who aren't highly educated have no value, that rabbi's teachings are to be considered as the words of God Himself and that if a rabbi tells a common person his right hand is his left hand he must be believed.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God never said it wasn't The rabbi's did. That was the point of all the scripture. Thou shalt not vex a stranger and one law for both mean nothing to you?

The Talmud is the rabbi's "Bible" to this day and it teaches that people who aren't highly educated have no value, that rabbi's teachings are to be considered as the words of God Himself and that if a rabbi tells a common person his right hand is his left hand he must be believed.
Are you not seeing stipulations such as them being joined to the Lord and being circumcised? It doesn't appear to be including all gentiles, but rather is referring to proselytes who convert to Judaism. The verses I gave such as Deuteronomy 7:3 and Joshua 23:7 are speaking of unconverted uncircumcised pagan Gentiles like those Peter was about to fellowship with not proselytes.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Are you not seeing stipulations such as them being joined to the Lord and being circumcised? It doesn't appear to be including all gentiles, but rather is referring to proselytes who convert to Judaism. The verses I gave such as Deuteronomy 7:3 and Joshua 23:7 are speaking of unconverted uncircumcised pagan Gentiles like those Peter was about to fellowship with not proselytes.
What does that have to do with anything?

From the Babylonian Talmud.

The time of Hananiah ben Hizkyah was the more opportune for such a coup d'état, as by that
time the Pharisees had obtained the upper hand of all other existing sects, notably the Sadducees.
Now, inasmuch as it proved to be an easy matter to enact laws by means of which the Jews
would be prevented from amalgamating with other nations, such as the prohibition of partaking the bread, oil, etc., of Gentiles, the proclamation declaring the children of heathens unclean (to prevent the children of Jews from joining them at play and thus forming attachments), and the women of the Samaritans, the deadliest enemies of the Jews, unclean (in order to prevent their employment as servants by Jews), it was but little more difficult to devise laws which would forever break the oppressive domination of the priests in a mild but nevertheless effective manner.
The first step necessary for the accomplishment of this desirable end was to completely destroy the system of espionage practised by the priests, and which was carried on to such an extent that spies were constantly prying into actions and even utterances in the houses of the laymen. This was, however, by no means an easy task, from the very fact that the priests were virtual shareholders in all the possessions of the laymen. One fiftieth of all grain raised by the peasants was their share as Therumah; one tenth of such grain comprised the tithe, and one tenth of the tithe belonged to the priests individually; the first of the dough, the first of shorn wool, the parts of slaughtered cattle, the firstlings of cattle, the firstfruits of trees and produce, all belonged to the priests; and it was but natural that they were to be found in the houses of the laymen at all times, whither they would come not to humbly ask for their donations, but to demand it as the rightful possessors and shareholders. Nor were they at all backward about taking a hand in the management of all other affairs of the layman, under the plea of guarding their own interests; and thus at times willingly, sometimes unwillingly, they were the spies of the higher authorities of the government.
The question then arose how to find a place where the deliberations for the suppression of this
constantly growing evil could be held without the presence of the spying priests; and to meet the exigencies of the case, an old decree that had been promulgated in the early days of the
existence of the Temple was again called into being and made effective. The decree was the one enacted in the time of Jose ben Joezer Ish Izreda and Jose ben Johanan the Jerusalemite, and read: "All the lands outside of Judæa are unclean" (i.e., all eatables and beverages containing any degree of sanctity whatever are rendered unclean by coming in contact with the soil of those lands outside of Judæa, but aside from such eatables and beverages nothing was rendered unclean). Now, the only eatables and beverages containing any sanctity whatever, which could be found outside of Jerusalem, where the sacrifices and other sanctified articles were brought, were the gifts and the Therumah set aside for the priests. Thus we see that the declaration of uncleanness, ostensibly directed against all eatables containing any degree of sanctity, was in reality directed against the Therumah of the priests, while the priests themselves were flattered by the elevation of the Therumah to the degree of highest sanctity, and its object will be apparent from the following argument:

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

We have learned in a Boraitha: R. Eliezer said: "On the day when the eighteen precautionary
measures were instituted in the attic of Hananiah ben Hizkyah ben Garon (this measure
concerning the purse of the traveller was also instituted, viz., that he should not carry it but giveit to the Gentile), and the measure of laws was made heaping full." R. Jehoshua, however, says, that the measure was smoothened in too great a degree, 1 and we have learned that R. Eliezer meant to say what his simile illustrates; viz.: There was a basket filled with cucumbers and beets to the brim; and if a man put in mustard-seed, there is an addition, without, however, forcing out anything else. Thus the measure was full, but not overflowing. R. Jehoshua, however, compares it as follows: There was a tub filled with honey, and nuts were thrown into it, in consequence of which the honey overflowed and some was spilled. (This means, that by the institution of those precautionary measures the Mosaic laws were undermined.)
The Master said: "If there was no Gentile with him, he should put it on the ass?" How is it that he may do this? If he put it on the ass, he will be compelled to drive the ass, and surely this is also labor, which is prohibited on the Sabbath, as it is written [Exod. xx. 10]: "On it thou shalt not do any work." Said R. Ada bar Abha: The man must put the purse on the ass, while the latter is walking along; in that case, no transfer from one fixed point takes place (because while both are walking it cannot be said that the purse is resting in one particular place). It is, however, impossible that the ass should not rest at some place for a little while? When the ass rests, the man removes the purse; and when it commences to walk again, he puts it back. If that is so, it would be the same if he would transfer his purse to a fellow-Israelite while walking, and he would never be guilty of the act of transferring from one (fixed) place and depositing in another? Said R. Papa: An act which, if committed by one man unassisted, would make him liable for a sin-offering (e.g., if he, while running or walking, should pick up something off the ground even without stopping, he would become liable for a sin-offering), he must not commit with the assistance of a companion; but if he did so, he is not liable for a sin-offering (e.g., if he picked up a thing and placed it on his companion while the latter was walking, in that event neither is culpable, for the one did not deposit it in a fixed place, and the other did not remove it from a fixed place). Such acts, however, as must not be committed with the aid of a companion may be done with the assistance of an ass in the first
place.

It's plain to see two things from these quotes the attitude of the rabbis towards the Gentiles and their extreme legalism. The Talmuds. the Babylonian and the Jerusalem, are full of this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
They congregated and broke bread on Sunday, which they called the Lord's Day. Their focus was totally on Christ and the Resurrection. And the Jews keeping the Saturday Sabbath and dietary laws of Moses were persecuting and killing them because of that. Scripture makes it quite clear that the Jews considered Christians guilty of breaking the Sabbath and dietary law.
In Acts 2:46, they were meeting in the temple and breaking bread together on every day of the week, but that does not mean that they weren't also continuing to keep the Sabbath holy and keep God's dietary laws in obedience to God and in accordance with the example that Christ set for us to follow.

There's no such thing as a Christian Jew. After the resurrection they were all former Jews who became Christians. They were punished for teaching Christianity in the synogogs.
Jesus did not come to start his own religion, but rather he came as the Jewish Messiah in fulfillment of Jewish prophecy and he set perfect example for us to follow of how to practice Judaism by living in sinless obedience to the Torah, so there is nothing about following that causes someone to cease to be a Jew. Moreover, Paul never stopped identifying as a Jew (Acts 21:39, Acts 22:3). In Acts 21:20, they were rejoicing that tens of thousands of Jews were coming to faith who were all zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Torah, which is in accordance with believing in what Jesus gave himself to accomplish through the cross (Titus 2:14), so Jews coming to faith in Christ were not ceasing to be Jews or to practice Judaism, but were becoming zealous for it. This means that there was a period between the resurrection of Jesus and the inclusion of Gentile in Acts 10 that is estimated to be around 7-15 years during which all Christians were Torah observant Jews. Gentile Christians can oppose what other Gentile Christians are doing without ceasing to be Gentiles or Christians, so in the same way there is nothing about Jews being opposed to what other Jews are doing that means that they cease to be Jews or to practice Judaism.

They gathered together as a Christian congregation in houses on Sunday, the Lord's Day, the day of the Resurrection, to break bread ie take communinion (Acts 20:7).
Jews hav a longstanding tradition of meeting for Havdalah at the end of the Sabbath on the 1st day of the week to make the transition to the start of the work week, so Paul did not speak from morning until midnight, but rather he spoke from Saturday evening until midnight, then left on Sunday morning to travel. So Acts 20:7 does not establish that they met on Sunday morning, and even if they had, it does not establish they this was the start of a new tradition, and even if it was, it does not establish that they were hypocritically setting aside God's command to keep the 7th day holy in order to establish their own tradition, and even if that is what they were doing, it would not establish that we should follow their example of sin.

The term "breaking bread" is in reference to Matthew 26:26.

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Matthew 26:26.
While Jesus broke bread in Matthew 26:26, breaking bread is not exclusive to observing Passover, but rather it is a common idiom for eating together.

Upvote 0