Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
[FONT=&quot]John 21:15-19[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](1)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you [/FONT][FONT=&quot]love (agape-highest form of love) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Me more than these?"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]love (phileo-friendly devotion)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] You."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He said to him, "Feed My lambs." [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](2)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 16 He said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you [/FONT][FONT=&quot]love (agape-highest form of love)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Me?"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]love (phileo-friendly devotion)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] You."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He said to him, "Tend My sheep." [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](3)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 17 He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you [/FONT][FONT=&quot]love (phileo-friendly devotion)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love [/FONT][FONT=&quot](phileo-friendly devotion)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Me?"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And he said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love [/FONT][FONT=&quot](phileo-friendly devotion)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] You."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jesus said to him, "Feed My sheep. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]18 Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, [/FONT][FONT=&quot](crucifixion)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish." 19 This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, "Follow Me." [/FONT]

Peter had earlier boasted about his sacrificial agape love for Jesus.

Matt 26:35
Peter said to Him, “Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!”

By asking Peter two times if he really agape loved Him, the Lord was allowing Peter to ‘take back’ his boastful words. He gave Peter a second chance to say three times, “Lord, I only have friendly phileo love for you.”

Jesus allowed Peter a three-fold public affirmation of love to replace a three-fold denial, and gave him a three-fold challenge to feed My sheep.

This correction and repentance was not for the Lord’s benefit but for Peter’s restoration.

Not only that, the Lord showed Peter that He still believed in him. He told Peter three times to feed His sheep. Despite Peter having only phileo love for the Lord, it was good enough for the Lord to call Peter into pastoral service.

Jesus did not want Peter to focus on his past failure, but to focus on the work ahead.

"… but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish." This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, "Follow Me."

Jesus promises Peter that his life will end in utter faithfulness, that in the end Peter will make a faithful stand for Jesus and be crucified.

Peter had boasted that he would be willing to die with/for Christ
. When push came to shove, he chickened out. Now, Jesus is saying that Peter will indeed still die for the Lord, sort of fulfilling his earlier boast — He will make a faithful stand for the Lord all the way to the end. Only, now, it is by the power of the Spirit, not his own strength.

That is some restoration! Better than before!

And it is not about our love for Him, but HIS LOVE FOR US!

1 John 4:10
10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins
NKJV

Excellent post Andrew. There have been many occasions where I have wanted to rep you, but I can't because you don't have that part turned on. :scratch: What's up with that? You too good to be repped by those of us around here who appreciate what you bring? :p

Upvote 0

lovesblessing

The Lord's Beloved......
Aug 22, 2004
In God's Amazing Grace!
✟10,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Another excellent post Andrew.....keep 'em coming!:thumbsup:

lovesblessing;)

(A teaching on condemnation would be good....hint, hint!;) :D I've been enjoying the new teaching this year......oh the church needs to hear that.....I've gotten so much from listening to "Condemnation Kills" and then the newest ones this year......you blessed person, you who gets to hear it first! LOL!:D ;) )

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't really bother about the rep thing. But I'll go turn it on, if I know how to!

Anyway, whatever 'gems' I share are just watered down versions of what I've learnt from my pastor.

I was actually very touced and moved by these words:

[FONT=&quot]18 Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, [FONT=&quot](crucifixion)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish."

Although its about Peter's death, its like Jesus knows Peter's whole life story, from beginning to end.

He sees it all -- our whole life -- from beginning to end. The Alpha and the Omega has the last say, He is the author and finisher of our faith.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
TreeOfLife said:
Ummm. My reference materials have Jesus asking Peter the third time, "do you phileo me?". Which is why Peter was so grieved. Not that He had asked Peter three times the same thing, but that the Lord came into agreement with Peter on the third one. :scratch:

Yes you are right, i knew that but i cut and pasted the wrong phrases. I've corrected the post. tks!

On the third time, Jesus came down to Peter's level of love for Him by asking him if he really phileo loved him as he claimed.

Even then it was good enough for the Lord to call him into feeding His sheep.

Upvote 0

TreeOfLife

A son of God!
Aug 12, 2005
Alabama, USA
✟9,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Andrew said:
Yes you are right, i knew that but i cut and pasted the wrong phrases. I've corrected the post. tks!

On the third time, Jesus came down to Peter's level of love for Him by asking him if he really phileo loved him as he claimed.

Even then it was good enough for the Lord to call him into feeding His sheep.

That's an amazing passage of scripture.

Just as we are the Lord Loves us and uses us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.