Visit site
✟530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anybody have a pet-store preference? When I get an apartment this spring, I'm thinking of buying a kitten. There's a store ("World of Pets") in Salt Lake City that I just love! The owner is really cool and lets me play with anything from puppies to hamsters and kittens. The ones I don't bother are rabbits, chinchilla, and reptiles. I love rabbits, but they're so big and usually hate attention in a pet store. Our family has never had a cat (my dad doesn't like 'em much), so I'll e-mail my sis-in-law and watch this forum for kitty-training advice.

994.gif

Dagna

Heathen
Nov 14, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟15,910.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Ugh...sorry I hate petstores that sell puppies and kittens. Most of the puppies and kittens sold at petstores come from puppy and kitten mills that just willy nilly mass breed their animals without care as to what's breeding with what. If I'm going to buy a dog, I'll either adopt or go to a breeder where I can see the adults, make sure that their dogs are tested for hereditary diseases etc. And for a kitten, unless you're getting a purebred kitten with papers, go to a shelter. Shelters are cheaper, the kitten will usually be vaccinated and spayed/neutered and you'll be saving a little kittens life to boot. Plus, you can find purebreds at shelters. Siamese I've found are the most common, followed by persians. I even had a couple of purebred Devon Rex's at my local shelter.

Upvote 0

Key Of David

Oct 23, 2003
Lexington, SC
Visit site
✟10,064.00
Faith
Christian
My local PetSmart supports our local shelters. They even had "Adopt a Greyhound Day". They're always full of shelter kittens and cats....beautiful creatures too. If I didn't have allergies I'd have taken the last I just saw home with me. :)

You might want to check them out?

Upvote 0

Dagna

Heathen
Nov 14, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟15,910.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I love Petsmart! That's where I always go and I always have to look at the cats. Every saturday they have two rescue groups come in, one for cats & one for dogs. The one that brings the cats in is also the one that has cats in the store regularly. I saw the most beauiful himalayan there the other day. He was huge but so gorgeous. That's also a great choice. The rescues will do all vaccinations, spay/neuter, test for FeLV and FIV, flea treatment, deworming and extras and a really reasonable price. I adopt cats out at $75 which covers everything, but I've seen some as high as $150 a cat. I've seen shelter adopt out from anywhere from $10 (they cover nothing really, but require proof of spay/neuter within 60 days usually) to $75 (which covers everything)Depends on where you go really. Doesn't hurt to shop around.

Upvote 0

Key Of David

Oct 23, 2003
Lexington, SC
Visit site
✟10,064.00
Faith
Christian
Yea that's why I will buy things from Petsmart....I know they're like most other petstores when it comes to pet supplies....their markups are outrageous sometimes when it comes to being able to get something online. For example an AC 500 aquarium filter is around $24 online....and over $70 at my local Petsmart. Then again they have employees and overhead so that's part of the reason. Still I do try and buy things from there from time to time just because of what they do for the strays in our community.

Upvote 0

Emery7

God's Minister ;D
Jan 20, 2004
Georgia
✟166.00
Faith
Christian
Most of the animals that come into pet stores are from puppymills!! If you buy from a petstore, you are only supporting this horrible act of violence upon animals! Please, either adopt (www.petfinder.org) or get an animal from a breeder! Petfinder.org will give you the choice of any animal that you want, and they will give you places to adopt them from that are very close to you! ~ Go there ~ there are ALWAYS tons of kittens that need to be adopted out! Puppy's as well! That is where I found my puppy that I adopted! I'll be praying for you!

GOD Bless!! :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Oh yea! PetsMart does have rescue organizations come in each weekend! I actually met the foster mom of my new puppy at PetsMart, which is where I adopted my pup from. I found him on Petfinder.org, and met her at PetsMart to take him home with me! :prayer: I'm so glad you're asking for advice on this! And I'm so glad that everyone agrees with not supporting puppymills in this thread! *yaay* :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.