Not open for further replies.

TamiinKS

Mar 19, 2007
✟8,212.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do we vote when in reality we can have neither? Voting either way mean nothing. I would love to be safe, but I don't like to give up my personal freedoms for it. I want to be free, but to live in fear for my safety isn't a great thing either.

My vote is "other: just trust God!"

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We need to have a balance between freedom and safety in our society.

And, in a democratic society (or a democratic republic society, if you choose,) we vote to establish sensible laws to protect people while allowing them the freedom to grow and thrive.

If things get too out of balance one way or the other, the electorate can vote to change its leaders.

As Janice Joplin said, when there is too much freedom and not enough safety, "Freedom's just another word for 'nothin' left to lose.'"

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd personally like to see the Patriot Act either abolished or seriously amended because it goes against our freedom. It allows us to be spied on when we have done nothing wrong and that in itself is wrong! :mad:

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
With as many people in the world as there is its hard to hve either safty or freedom, but I'd choose freedom of safty any day ... if we respect others freedoms and they respect ours then most of the safty issues go away. The reason we aren't free is we don't repect other people. God lets others be who they are, but we don't. We want to change people to be who we want them to be.

dayhiker

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sojourner<><

Incoherent Freedom Fighter
Mar 23, 2005
✟16,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which is more important to you? Would you rather have guaranteed safety, or guaranteed freedom (in all respects)?
Poll coming soon

In this world, total freedom isn't a possiblity, unless you live on an island, alone....

If we had all freedoms to do whatever it is we wanted, that's basically anarchy, and history teaches us that it just doesn't work.

I find it necessary then that all societies must agree to limit some less desireable freedoms (killing, stealing, etc) in order to preserve and maximize the more desireable ones.

As that applies to national security then, I'd say that the sacrafice of some freedoms is nothing new, and that it should be expected if we want to protect our other freedoms.

Upvote 0

Tkjjc

Jul 10, 2007
✟8,753.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In this world, total freedom isn't a possiblity, unless you live on an island, alone....

If we had all freedoms to do whatever it is we wanted, that's basically anarchy, and history teaches us that it just doesn't work.

I find it necessary then that all societies must agree to limit some less desireable freedoms (killing, stealing, etc) in order to preserve and maximize the more desireable ones.

As that applies to national security then, I'd say that the sacrafice of some freedoms is nothing new, and that it should be expected if we want to protect our other freedoms.

May I just quote ol Ben Franklin
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A person is NEVER Truly Free. So really there is no absolute freedom, as even as Christians we subject ourselves to His Kingship. Freedom is that which is fleshly desired, but never achieved.
True, but I suppose it depends on how we're defining freedom. In the context of the OP I would stand by my statement.

Upvote 0

Sojourner<><

Incoherent Freedom Fighter
Mar 23, 2005
✟16,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very true! But then the question is: what is essential freedom?

Certainly not all freedom is essential, and not every freedom is an inalienable right. Personally, I think that along with inalienable rights there exists inalienable law, like the 10 commandments. Any law that contradicts the truth should be abolished.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As Janice Joplin said, when there is too much freedom and not enough safety, "Freedom's just another word for 'nothin' left to lose.'"

She did, but words were written by a love buddy of hers who was a former Army Captain and son of the headmaster of a military school by the name of Kris Kristofferson. At the time Kris was decompressing from his formerly rigidly structured life. I don't believe the sentiment behind the phrase was as you say at all. Kris was in awe of the vagabond life at the time and the freedom from convention and structure that itenarant musicians like himself and Joplin represented. It was meant in a very positive sense of not being tied to possessions or social position and the freedom to speak one's mind. Think! If the boss tells you cut your hair or else and you don't want to but do anyway, you're not free.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.