Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I’m on a phone where the quote function is sloppy. So I’ll say this. I’m the opposite of an above poster. If Trump came to my house I would not sit and have a beer with him. He’s a jerk. He’s self important. There are 1000 things I don’t like about him. He’s not my choice for president. But he’s head and shoulders above Hillary. And unless someone else rises to the top of either side, I’ll vote for him again.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I’m on a phone where the quote function is sloppy. So I’ll say this. I’m the opposite of an above poster. If Trump came to my house I would not sit and have a beer with him. He’s a jerk. He’s self important. There are 1000 things I don’t like about him. He’s not my choice for president. But he’s head and shoulders above Hillary. And unless someone else rises to the top of either side, I’ll vote for him again.

If I were doing an unbiased appraisal of Trump I would have to say the single most damaging thing he does is use social media to get around the PR cocoon other presidents have lived in. His personality is -exhausting- to be around. I would never have him over for dinner because I would not enjoy a single minute of his personality.

But the system around a president is designed to mask his/her flaws and always present the 'public' version in public. Diplomacy is a dance with well thought out steps that leaders around the world and the public understands. He does not understand that and refuses to be taught it.

Policy wise, some of the things he is trying to do I'm not totally against. But the way he goes about it makes him appear to be a bull in a china shop.

He is his own worst enemy. Someone should have taken that cell phone from him on the first day in office. He should have been taught how to follow a script in public speaking. In world wide negotiations one simply can not be effective if they always start the negotiations with insults.

His followers HATE Hilary for that comment about that "basket of deplorables". People need to understand that other people feel the same way when Trump insults them.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First the article which brought this thought on:

Bill Taylor testimony 'reverberating' among House Republicans, GOP sources say - CNNPolitics

If Trump has become so much of a liability that they can no longer defend him, getting him to resign now would give them the chance to back Mike Pence for the election. If they wait until they become forced by the massive amount of evidence to support the impeachment, it will be too late for Pence to mount a campaign and they will surely lose to whoever the Democrats run.

I'm just saying, sometimes one just has to cut their losses and move on.

For the integrity of the party and the country, standing up to the President would make sense. But I ask, where are these Republican leaders in the Senate today?

Who are the Bob Dole, John McCain, Howard Baker, Richard Lugar's of today?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
For the integrity of the party and the country, standing up to the President would make sense. But I ask, where are these Republican leaders in the Senate today?

Who are the Bob Dole, John McCain, Howard Baker, Richard Lugar's of today?

Dead, retired, or kissing the boots of the Great Leader.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean even republicans? You mean Mitt Romney? List all the names of Republicans you think are going to oppose him? Sorry but that's a mere fantasy you're entertaining.
Since Trump has become a damaging person to Christianity, in addition to harming the U.S., I won't help support him, because that does harm to all of us. You should not either.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The GOP. They ain’t that stoopid.

Actually, if Trump feels he is "forced" to resign because he's lost support of Republicans, I can see him running as an Independent (or, perhaps, as the nominee of the Trump party). In that case, I can see him expecting to win but, if the unthinkable happens and he doesn't, then he'll declare victory if he gets more votes (either actual votes or electoral votes) than the Republican.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Actually, if Trump feels he is "forced" to resign because he's lost support of Republicans, I can see him running as an Independent (or, perhaps, as the nominee of the Trump party). In that case, I can see him expecting to win but, if the unthinkable happens and he doesn't, then he'll declare victory if he gets more votes (either actual votes or electoral votes) than the Republican.

Or perhaps he'll cash in on his "martyr" status and his newly-gained foreign connections.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
They haven't hit critical mass. (or at least they don't know if they have critical mass or not)
They have to be able to find out who is also willing to ouster Trump.
It's very dangerous territory for them.

With Trump railing about 'scum', I think we must be getting close to critical mass. Publicly, they're mostly sticking together, but behind the scenes there are whispers. I think Trump's trying to amp the paranoia, so Republicans are afraid to talk about it amongst themselves for fear of being targeted as scum if word gets out.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Since Trump has become a damaging person to Christianity, in addition to harming the U.S., I won't help support him, because that does harm to all of us. You should not either.
First of all I disagree with your premise that it even needs to be considered that a Christian must vote for someone who represents Christianity. Is that really the issue? Or is it rather that his policies go the direction of protecting religious liberty and the other parties in the opinions of many DO NOT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Or is it rather that his policies go the direction of protecting religious liberty and the other parties in the opinions of many DO NOT.
That would certainly be an issue on which it would be possible to have the exact opposite opinion.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom

He's not going to lose the support of the Republicans except maybe one or two which the big media machine will build up like there's a big split within the party when really there isn't. That's not to say all Republicans are always silent about things they don't agree with Trump on but impeachment is a totally different issue.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all I disagree with your premise that it even needs to be considered that a Christian must vote for someone who represents Christianity. Is that really the issue? Or is it rather that his policies go the direction of protecting religious liberty and the other parties in the opinions of many DO NOT.
What?

In the U.S. we have freedom of worship, without the government controlling our worship.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He's not going to lose the support of the Republicans except maybe one or two which the big media machine will build up like there's a big split within the party when really there isn't. That's not to say all Republicans are always silent about things they don't agree with Trump on but impeachment is a totally different issue.

Sorry, I meant support of Senate Republicans, that they would convince him he needs to resign. Yes, it is doubtful he'll lose the support of his base -- which is why he could likely do well as a third party candidate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Bill Taylor testimony 'reverberating' among House Republicans, GOP sources say - CNNPolitics

If Trump has become so much of a liability that they can no longer defend him, getting him to resign now would give them the chance to back Mike Pence for the election. If they wait until they become forced by the massive amount of evidence to support the impeachment, it will be too late for Pence to mount a campaign and they will surely lose to whoever the Democrats run.

Trumps followers don't see Trump as a liability, risk. Any Republican, that goes agaist Trump gets branded as an evil liberal traitor. Is being outcasts by your party really worth it?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

iMHO

and only an opinion

This is exactly what the Democrats and their media want people to believe and is made possible through their cherry picking what information is released. It is why everything is guarded, secret and behind closed doors

so they can sway public opinion.

it might just be effective, the issue is that we do not have the whole picture, nor do we know the other side of the argument because it is being silenced on purpose.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
nor do we know the other side of the argument because it is being silenced on purpose.

Dozens of Republicans are in those meetings. They can provide the other side of the argument. They are not being silenced. They are silent because they apparently have nothing to say in defense of the president.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What?

In the U.S. we have freedom of worship, without the government controlling our worship.
I'm not talking about just freedom to worship. I'm talking about the whole range of items which can have to do with religious liberty of which the list can be a myriad of things.

Upvote 0