✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus said:

“You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” Matt 5:48 RSV

However, I’m always hearing people say that it is impossible to be perfect. Keeping in mind that the Lord helps us, is it that hard to repent of our sin?

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The entire point of Jesus' crucifixion was to pay for our sins, essentially making the followers of Christ perfect.
Why, then, did Jesus tell us to repent (Matt 4:17)?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus said:

“You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” Matt 5:48 RSV

However, I’m always hearing people say that it is impossible to be perfect. Keeping in mind that the Lord helps us, is it that hard to repent of our sin?
yeah that refers to moral perfection but in regards to unconditional love based off the previous verses which is still hard to do, it's something we all strive for.

I don't think this verse is referring to sin here...based off the context but the bible indicates also to sin not though as if to indicate that's possible to do as well.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
yeah that refers to moral perfection but in regards to unconditional love based off the previous verses which is still hard to do, it's something we all strive for.

I don't think this verse is referring to sin here...based off the context but the bible indicates also to sin not though as if to indicate that's possible to do as well.
It does no harm to repent of our sin.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It does no harm to repent of our sin.

I'm not disputing that, but what i'm saying is that the verse isn't referring to that. I agree repentance is key I wasn't defending not to repent with the "sin not" I was comparing that with the "be perfect" order here.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i agree even if you feel you haven't sinned last week or maybe you didn't for example or whatever should repent just incase you never know could have did something or at least if not a sin made a mistake somewhere.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not disputing that, but what i'm saying is that the verse isn't referring to that. I agree repentance is key I wasn't defending not to repent with the "sin not" I was comparing that with the "be perfect" order here.
I think it does refer to that. When we sin, we bring trouble into our lives.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
i agree even if you feel you haven't sinned last week or maybe you didn't for example or whatever should repent just incase you never know could have did something or at least if not a sin made a mistake somewhere.
I think we know when we've sinned.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Why, then, did Jesus tell us to repent (Matt 4:17)?
Repentance involves a change of mind and direction. There were times in the Old Testament where God changed His mind and repented either of a judgment He was going to bring on a group of people, or, in the case of King Saul, repented that He had made him king. It was not because God had sinned in any way. It was that He reversed a previous decision and changed His direction about how He was going to act in a particular situation.

Repentance for the unbeliever is a change of attitude toward Christ and a change of direction from a life of rebellion against God to a life glorifying to Christ. The use the word repentance to describe a sorrow for sin and the desire to stop sinning, it not quite an accurate application of the word. Repentance happens only once. It happens at conversion.

At conversion our sin is taken from us and put on the cross with Christ, and then buried in the deepest sea of God's forgetfulness never to be revisited. We are then given the righteousness of Christ which makes us perfect in God's attitude to us. That is the perfection that God requires of us.

If we try and be perfect in our own strength, we are acting in unbelief and trying to be self-righteous, which is like a filthy rag in God's sight. Perfection is trusting in the righteousness of Christ which has been given to us by God's grace through our faith in Christ. Along with that, we have been given a new heart that gives us the strong desire to overcome our sinful habit patterns with the help of The Holy Spirit, and to live a life glorifying to Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Repentance involves a change of mind and direction. There were times in the Old Testament where God changed His mind and repented either of a judgment He was going to bring on a group of people, or, in the case of King Saul, repented that He had made him king. It was not because God had sinned in any way. It was that He reversed a previous decision and changed His direction about how He was going to act in a particular situation.

Repentance for the unbeliever is a change of attitude toward Christ and a change of direction from a life of rebellion against God to a life glorifying to Christ. The use the word repentance to describe a sorrow for sin and the desire to stop sinning, it not quite an accurate application of the word. Repentance happens only once. It happens at conversion.

At conversion our sin is taken from us and put on the cross with Christ, and then buried in the deepest sea of God's forgetfulness never to be revisited. We are then given the righteousness of Christ which makes us perfect in God's attitude to us. That is the perfection that God requires of us.

If we try and be perfect in our own strength, we are acting in unbelief and trying to be self-righteous, which is like a filthy rag in God's sight. Perfection is trusting in the righteousness of Christ which has been given to us by God's grace through our faith in Christ. Along with that, we have been given a new heart that gives us the strong desire to overcome our sinful habit patterns with the help of The Holy Spirit, and to live a life glorifying to Christ.
Sin has consequences, so when we repent of our sin, we avoid trouble. Serious sin leads to serious trouble.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,383.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perfectly complete in love and peace because of knowing that God sees His people without spot or wrinkle. Forgiveness for instance is according to the perfect law of grace. The more gracious we are to others the more grace we receive from others, according to that measure do we see perfection.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said:

The word means mature, complete, in the passage.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There are not many of us who have reached that standard, and the ones I know, I look up to them and it gives me a pain in the neck!

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mat 19:21 Christ Jesus speaking

"Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me."

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From the Orthodox Point of View;

To be perfect is to be "fully" human as we were created. Our model: Jesus Christ

That would be in keeping with Wordkeeper's "complete", wouldn't it?

Coffee is ready!

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said:

I have considered that interpretation before myself, Wordkeeper. But while it might be natural to speak of men in such a way, to refer to the heavenly Father as being "mature" is sort of bizarre, as it insinuates a development in His character from once being in a place of being immature.

I believe the command to be perfect is explained by our Lord in John 17:20-23 (v. 23 specifically). It requires us to completely abide in Christ by abiding in the Spirit (John 15:1-10, 1 John 3:24). Is abiding so deeply in Christ that we enter into a state of permanent perfection possible? Not in my book. But if you take the commandment in a momentary sense, most certainly it is. The same is true of the commandment, "Be holy, for I am Holy." Can we walk in holiness? We not only can but must if we would please God (2 Corinthians 7:1). But will we ever walk in a state of permanent holiness? I don't see how the scriptures can support that position (1 John 2:1, Hebrews 12:1-2).

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pretending that we do not continue sinning is a human construct using cherry picked scriptures as support. While ignoring the truth of our common history.

Fighting against our sins daily is Christian.

Giving continual lifetime confessions is Christian.

How could this be if we don't sin anymore after we are "saved"?

Falling from salvation is a real possibility, so much so, that a great deal of scripture is devoted to warning us.

Forgive me...

Last edited:
Upvote 0