Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
1 John 4:18 (New International Version)

18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Thanks for your responses that got in before the edit. I guess from this point on I'll flip the question. What other things does fear do in our lives?

Last edited:

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thought I would post this here as well, so maybe I could get some responses. :)

18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

This translation is "drives out fear," but we get the point. What else does perfect love do? And what does it mean to be made perfect in love? What does that look like practically?

Yep, LOVE never fails!

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This translation is "drives out fear," but we get the point. What else does perfect love do? And what does it mean to be made perfect in love? What does that look like practically?

Part of being made perfect in love is that it means you no longer do the right thing because you fear punishment. There is more to it than that though.

The people who 1st John was written to were being told by false teachers that what happened in the body was of no consequence and that the spirit was all that mattered. It was a very liberating philosophy, however it was a false freedom because we are still very much effected by the physical world even though we are spiritual beings.

Perfect love wants what is best for both him and his neighbor as a complete person, but also has no room for fear because of its very nature.

The person who walks in the knowledge of God's perfect love expressed fully through Christ Jesus leaves no room for fear in their life because they know they are totally and unconditionally loved, embraced, forgiven and accepted.

Those who doubt this still walk in fear and it cripples their ability both to live and to love fully.

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
In My Father's Hands..No Safer Place To Be
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Part of being made perfect in love is that it means you no longer do the right thing because you fear punishment. There is more to it than that though.

The people who 1st John was written to were being told by false teachers that what happened in the body was of no consequence and that the spirit was all that mattered. It was a very liberating philosophy, however it was a false freedom because we are still very much effected by the physical world even though we are spiritual beings.

Perfect love wants what is best for both him and his neighbor as a complete person, but also has no room for fear because of its very nature.

The person who walks in the knowledge of God's perfect love expressed fully through Christ Jesus leaves no room for fear in their life because they know they are totally and unconditionally loved, embraced, forgiven and accepted.

Those who doubt this still walk in fear and it cripples their ability both to live and to love fully.

Another good one twigi.....and a double amen to that last line...:amen:

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
In My Father's Hands..No Safer Place To Be
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

And when most are telling the so called good news of Jesus Christ, it is done with fear tactics..Get to know God or else.....That is not the good news, that is not God's perfect love and it will not allow you to begin to even understand the love God has for yourself and most definitely you can't see the love God has for others...

You can't see God or know him when you think you are serving him to keep him from punishing you..That is not the Good News and that is not God..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.