United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone who identifies as Anglican or Anglo Catholic attend the sacrament of penance (confession) regularly. What has your experience been like and if you have some background, how do Anglicans and Episcopalians make sense of the practice as distinct from Roman Catholics?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,524,725.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The main difference from Roman Catholics is that for us, it is not obligatory. The saying, "all may, many do, some should, none must," is a maxim we apply to confession.

In my experience (ten years as an Anglican priest in Australia, serving mostly on the more catholic side of middle), very, very few Anglicans attend confession regularly. But people tend to seek it out when they have a particular burden of guilt or shame they wish to deal with in a formal, structured way.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟176,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone who identifies as Anglican or Anglo Catholic attend the sacrament of penance (confession) regularly. What has your experience been like and if you have some background, how do Anglicans and Episcopalians make sense of the practice as distinct from Roman Catholics?
Well, as a Catholic, I need to go to confession more, but I think it is okay to confess to Jesus. Jesus never said anything about requiring a priest to intercede in a confession booth, though confession is a good idea, as priests can intercede.

By the way, hypothetical questions are one of my indulgences, so forgive me for getting a little sidetracked. :)

Part I: A Roman Catholic astronaut is on a three-year mission to Mars. How can he keep the Sacrament of Penance, if he can not access a priest or confessional on his spaceship?

The Catholic Church provides guidance for situations like this in its canon law and through the work of various theological and pastoral commissions. In the absence of a priest or confessional, a Catholic astronaut on a three-year mission to Mars may consider the following options:

1. Prepared and Actual Confession before the Mission: The astronaut could make a sacramental confession before embarking on the mission. This would provide the necessary grace and forgiveness for the entire journey, assuming the astronaut is free from grave sin at the time of confession.

2. Spiritual Direction: The astronaut could maintain regular contact with a spiritual director or confessor on Earth through communication technology. This would allow for ongoing spiritual guidance, discernment, and absolution of venial sins.

3. Indulgences: An indulgence is the remission of temporal punishment due to sins already forgiven through the sacrament of Penance. The astronaut could participate in indulgenced spiritual exercises, such as the Stations of the Cross, the Rosary, or other approved prayers, which would help to reduce the temporal punishment for sins committed.

4. Act of Perfect Contrition: In cases of unavoidable mortal sin during the mission, the astronaut could perform an act of perfect contrition, which is an ardent desire to be free of all sin and a sincere resolution to confess and make amends as soon as possible. This act, while not conferring the sacramental forgiveness, would help to obtain God's mercy and forgiveness for the sin.

5. Prayer for the Dead: If the astronaut were to die before making confession, they could leave instructions for their loved ones on Earth to offer prayers for their deceased soul, allowing for spiritual support and intercession from the Church.

These options are not exhaustive, but they provide a framework for maintaining a spiritual connection with the Church and receiving God's forgiveness during extended space missions. The specific circumstances and pastoral needs of each individual mission would ultimately determine the most appropriate means of spiritual care.

Part II: Could the astronaut pray directly to Jesus for forgiveness instead, as the Bible says that Jesus forgives our sins?

The astronaut could indeed pray directly to Jesus for forgiveness, as Jesus has the power to forgive sins. The Catholic Church teaches that the Sacrament of Penance is a sacrament instituted by Christ, but the forgiveness of sins is ultimately derived from Jesus' divine mercy. The sacrament of Penance offers various benefits, such as the assurance of forgiveness, the grace to confess sins with sincerity and contrition, and the spiritual guidance of a confessor.

However, during the mission, when access to a priest or confessional is not possible, the astronaut can still turn to Jesus in prayer for forgiveness and spiritual growth. This could involve engaging in regular prayer, meditation, or spiritual reading to foster a deep and ongoing relationship with God.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟285,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there,

Confession of sin is not penance, it is penitence.

Confusing the two has led to error.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟263,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Confession of sin is not penance, it is penitence.

Confusing the two has led to error.
Correct.

Penance is a Sacrament in the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches. It's also a rite in the Anglican, Episcopal, and Lutheran Churches.

Those who confess their sins are penitents.

Upvote 0