• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

PCOS and no insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kness810

Jun 6, 2009
USA
✟7,619.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Wow I'm surprised to see a section just for PCOS! I've never even heard of it until I was diagnosed a couple of months ago. It'll be nice to have women to talk to who understand.

I was not "officially" diagnosed with blood tests or ultrasound, because I have no insurance. I have to go to the free women's clinic once or twice a year, I've had all kinds of problems, from cervical cancer, infertility, you name it. Anyways, when the nurse asked me when my last period was, and I said "around 4 or 5 years ago", she did a full body examination and said based on my appearance and cycle, she's 99.9% sure I have PCOS. She was a very nice lady and informed me all she could, but it being a free clinic, there was a lot of women waiting to be seen, so there wasn't much she could tell me about it. So I went home and did my research. It can get pretty serious and that's scary. I'm only 21 years old, I have a weight issue which gives me a huge chance of becoming diabetic. Another scary thing is that the birth control she put me on to regulate my cycle, gives me more female hormones than my body is use to...making me extremely emotional and attention-craving/clingy. I ended up seeking that attention with other men online (stictly online, NOT in person but that still doesn't make it ok) when I realized I had to be annoying my poor husband. Now I'm trying to fix the problems I've caused in my marriage.

Anyways, about PCOS...a friend of mine also has it and she has a GREAT doctor. He explains EVERYTHING to you, and gives you medicine for all of the side effects, wow that could really help me. But I can't afford all that.

Anyways, I have a question for you. We're not ready for kids just yet since I'm still in college and he's starting a new business, but we will want to try to get pregnant soon after I graduate. I started taking my birth control 2 months ago, and after 5 yrs without a period, I finally had my second one in a row, on the exact day I was supposed to start. It's giving my fertility some hope. But how long do you think it will take before my body can do this on its own, without these pills??

Please feel free to tell me your thoughts and feelings on having PCOS, it's so great to talk to ppl who understand!!

lovesdolphins

New year, new me, new baby????
Mar 28, 2007
Houston
✟15,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would suggest checking out the website soulcysters.net - they have hundreds of ladies dealing with the same issues.

There are some medications that you should be able to get from the free clinic that will help you have a cycle more frequently; such as progesterone.

Also, there are diets that can help; look for any diets with low glycemic index - such as south beach, even Atkins. There is a diet specifically for Insulin Resistance which is what causes a lot of PCOSers to be overweight. They have resources online, and you can probably find books at your local library, or resale book store.

Let me know if you have any additional questions; but I know that soulcysters is a great network of support for ladies with this problem.

Upvote 0

Just Believe

Jul 25, 2009
Sacramento, California
✟15,159.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow I'm surprised to see a section just for PCOS! I've never even heard of it until I was diagnosed a couple of months ago. It'll be nice to have women to talk to who understand.

I was not "officially" diagnosed with blood tests or ultrasound, because I have no insurance. I have to go to the free women's clinic once or twice a year, I've had all kinds of problems, from cervical cancer, infertility, you name it. Anyways, when the nurse asked me when my last period was, and I said "around 4 or 5 years ago", she did a full body examination and said based on my appearance and cycle, she's 99.9% sure I have PCOS. She was a very nice lady and informed me all she could, but it being a free clinic, there was a lot of women waiting to be seen, so there wasn't much she could tell me about it. So I went home and did my research. It can get pretty serious and that's scary. I'm only 21 years old, I have a weight issue which gives me a huge chance of becoming diabetic. Another scary thing is that the birth control she put me on to regulate my cycle, gives me more female hormones than my body is use to...making me extremely emotional and attention-craving/clingy. I ended up seeking that attention with other men online (stictly online, NOT in person but that still doesn't make it ok) when I realized I had to be annoying my poor husband. Now I'm trying to fix the problems I've caused in my marriage.

Anyways, about PCOS...a friend of mine also has it and she has a GREAT doctor. He explains EVERYTHING to you, and gives you medicine for all of the side effects, wow that could really help me. But I can't afford all that.

Anyways, I have a question for you. We're not ready for kids just yet since I'm still in college and he's starting a new business, but we will want to try to get pregnant soon after I graduate. I started taking my birth control 2 months ago, and after 5 yrs without a period, I finally had my second one in a row, on the exact day I was supposed to start. It's giving my fertility some hope. But how long do you think it will take before my body can do this on its own, without these pills??

Please feel free to tell me your thoughts and feelings on having PCOS, it's so great to talk to ppl who understand!!

You and I are in the same boat. I don't have insurance, I was diagnosed at a women's clinic, I'm 21, and I never had any bloodwork drawn to see where my hormone levels are.

My gyn and I went over my symptoms for about 30 minutes and she said it's quite obvious that I have PCOS because I haven't had a period since November 2008.

I'm obese

She didn't prescribe anything and I refuse to go on BC pills again because they make me too emotional. The only thing my gyn said was to keep excercising and if my period doesn't come back by Nov. 2009 then I'm going on meds.

You should go to Planned Parenthood and see if they're write you a prescription for Metformin. I'm thinking about doing the same thing next month because not having a period is killing me.

I'm constantly crampy and my skin is really bad with dark spots. I hear Met. can help with weightloss since it balances out our insulin resistance so I'm all for it.

As for when you'll be able to ovulate on your own without BC I read somewhere that the pill is only a band-aid treatment for PCOS and in the long run it doesn't help with anything, but don't quote me on that.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have them switch pills to another brand (since you don't have insurance it would help if you researched pharmacies to find their discount pills...Kroger for instance offers TriNessa for $9 without insurance). I had to have mine switched because I was SO moody it was driving my husband nuts.

I plan on having my ovaries removed after I have kids and get rid of the cyst issue for good.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.