✟1,102,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Continued from: Paul on the Law: Galatians 6

This chapter doesn't have much to say about YHWH's law; but I did stumble onto a prescious nugget that I have missed in the past.

Ephesians 1 (CLV)

1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus through the will of God, to all the saints who are also believers in Christ Jesus:" 2 Grace to you and peace from God, our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ." 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who blesses us with every spiritual blessing among the celestials, in Christ, 4 according as He chooses us in Him before the disruption of the world,

I never noticed this before.
That's intense! I was going with: him knowing us in our mothers' wombs, concerning abortion.

WOW! This gives me a lot to think about.

we to be holy and flawless in His sight,

I think this might mean that we can't go running around like lawless heathens.

5 in love designating us beforehand for the place of a son for Him through Christ Jesus; in accord with the delight of His will, 6 for the laud of the glory of His grace, which graces us in the Beloved:" 7 in Whom we are having the deliverance through His blood, the forgiveness of offenses in accord with the riches of His grace, 8 which He lavishes on us; in all wisdom and prudence 9 making known to us the secret of His will (in accord with His delight, which He purposed in Him)" 10 to have an administration of the complement of the eras, to head up all in the Christ - both that in the heavens and that on the earth" 11 in Him in Whom our lot was cast also, being designated beforehand according to the purpose of the One Who is operating all in accord with the counsel of His will, 12 that we should be for the laud of His glory, who are pre-expectant in the Christ." 13 In Whom you also - on hearing the word of truth, the evangel of your salvation - in Whom on believing also, you are sealed with the holy spirit of promise" 14 (which is an earnest of the enjoyment of our allotment, to the deliverance of that which has been procured) for the laud of His glory!" 15 Therefore, I also, on hearing of this faith of yours in the Lord Jesus, and that for all the saints, 16 do not cease giving thanks for you, making mention in my prayers" 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may be giving you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the realization of Him, 18 the eyes of your heart having been enlightened, for you to perceive what is the expectation of His calling, and what the riches of the glory of the enjoyment of His allotment among the saints, 19 and what the transcendent greatness of His power for us who are believing, in accord with the operation of the might of His strength, 20 which is operative in the Christ, rousing Him from among the dead and seating Him at His right hand among the celestials, 21 up over every sovereignty and authority and power and lordship, and every name that is named, not only in this eon, but also in that which is impending:" 22 and subjects all under His feet, and gives Him, as Head over all, to the ecclesia" 23 which is His body, the complement of the One completing the all in all."

There isn't much about the YHWH's law in this chapter; but it must be included in this series.

Paul on the Law: Ephesians 2

Last edited:

Jacob Black

Jan 10, 2020
Utrecht
✟19,669.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
''We to be holy and flawless in his sight''

We can't be holy and flawless in His sight unless we are clothed with the righteousness of Jesus Christ, who was undeservingly slain for our iniquities so that we can have eternal life. You cannot keep the whole law of God because you have to keep it your entire life perfectly. If you stumble in just one little thing one time, in God's sight it is as bad as breaking the entire law (James 2:10). And since the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23) you are in need of a savior, Jesus Christ, who kept the entire law perfectly on your behalf so that you don't have to spend an eternity in hell paying your sin debt.

This doesn't mean that we should live our lives recklessly but it does mean that we can be hopeful that we have an advocate in heaven who payed our debt to God infinitely. The most important laws we have to keep is to love God with all our heart and to love our neighbor as we love our self (Mark 12:30-31). But then again, even these laws are impossible to be kept perfectly if we are completely honest with our self.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
''We to be holy and flawless in his sight''

We can't be holy and flawless in His sight unless we are clothed with the righteousness of Jesus Christ, who was undeservingly slain for our iniquities so that we can have eternal life. You cannot keep the whole law of God because you have to keep it your entire life perfectly. If you stumble in just one little thing one time, in God's sight it is as bad as breaking the entire law (James 2:10). And since the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23) you are in need of a savior, Jesus Christ, who kept the entire law perfectly on your behalf so that you don't have to spend an eternity in hell paying your sin debt.

This doesn't mean that we should live our lives recklessly but it does mean that we can be hopeful that we have an advocate in heaven who payed our debt to God infinitely. The most important laws we have to keep is to love God with all our heart and to love our neighbor as we love our self (Mark 12:30-31). But then again, even these laws are impossible to be kept perfectly if we are completely honest with our self.
Hi, @Jacob Black ; it's so good to rest by faith in the finished work of Christ, isn't it? (Hebrews chapters 9 and 10, etc.)

Upvote 0

Jacob Black

Jan 10, 2020
Utrecht
✟19,669.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, @Jacob Black ; it's so good to rest by faith in the finished work of Christ, isn't it? (Hebrews chapters 9 and 10, etc.)
I agree. But I can still struggle with legalism if I'm completely honest with myself, because I wonder where I can draw the line of acceptable living and not misuse His grace.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. But I can still struggle with legalism if I'm completely honest with myself, because I wonder where I can draw the line of acceptable living and not misuse His grace.
I have to admit to you that I am not Reformed in my thinking; I do see Israel and the church as distinct in Scripture. Hebrews 7.12 says the law was changed; and what we now have is better than the law.

• Agree
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
But then again, even these laws are impossible to be kept perfectly if we are completely honest with our self.

(CLV) Mt 19:26
Now, looking at them, Jesus said to them, "With men this is impossible, yet with God all is possible."

(CLV) 1Jn 3:9
Everyone who is begotten of God is not doing sin, for His seed is remaining in him, and he can not be sinning, for he is begotten of God.

Do you believe that John wasn't being honest with himself?

We must have faith.

(CLV) Ezk 36:26
I will give you a new heart, And a new spirit will I bestow within you, And I will take away the heart of stone from your flesh, And I will give you a heart of flesh.

(CLV) Ezk 36:27
My spirit shall I bestow within you, And I will make it that you shall walk in My statutes and observe My ordinances, And you will obey them.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
. Hebrews 7.12 says the law was changed; and what we now have is better than the law.

Hebrews 7 goes into depth into the covenant.

Let's take a close look at this.

(CLV) Ps 19:7
The law of Yahweh is flawless, restoring the soul; The testimony of Yahweh is faithful, making wise the simple;

That which is flawless does not need to be replaced. All of the law mentioned in the New Testament; can be found in the Torah. Yahshua was obedient to the Torah, and called us to follow him.

(CLV) Dt 4:2
You shall neither add to the word that I am enjoining on you, nor shall you subtract from it, but observe the instructions of Yahweh your Elohim that I am enjoining on you.

If you add or subtract from something that is perfect; it is no longer perfect. Yahshua walks in perfect obedience to YHWH's Law (Torah). This is not Messiah's new covenant. It is YHWH's covenant.

(CLV) Jer 31:33
For this is the covenant which I shall contract with the house of Israel after those days, averring is Yahweh: I will put My law within them, And I shall write it on their heart; I will become their Elohim, And they shall become My people.

Let's take a closer look at this covenant.

Hebrews 8
CLV(i) 1 Now this is the sum of what is being said: Such a Chief Priest have we, Who is seated at the right of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, 2 a Minister of the holy places and of the true tabernacle. which the Lord pitches, and not a man." 3 For every chief priest is constituted to offer both approach presents and sacrifices. Whence it is necessary for This One also to have something which He may offer. 4 Indeed, then, if He were on earth He would not even be a priest, there being those who offer approach presents according to the law"

Bear in mind that Yahshua had already ascended. The law was still in effect.

5 who, by an example and shadow, are offering the divine service of the celestials, according as Moses has been apprized when about to be completing the tabernacle. For see, He is averring, that you shall be making all "in accord with the model shown to you in the mountain." 6 Yet now He has happened upon a more excellent ministry, in as much as He is the Mediator, also, of a better covenant,

Why is it better? Did it do away with YHWH's Law? No, couldn't be. We just saw in verse 4 that the law is still in effect.

which has been instituted on better promises."

Better promises.....what does that mean?

7 For if that first one were unblamable, no place would have been sought for a second. "

Where is YHWH laying blame? On his own perfect law? That doesn't seem right.

8 For, blaming them, He is saying, "Lo! the days are coming,the Lord is saying, "And I shall be concluding with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant, 9 Not in accord with the covenant which I make with their fathers In the day of My taking hold of their hand To be leading them out of the land of Egypt, Seeing that they do not remain in My covenant, And I neglect them,the Lord is saying, 10 For this is the covenant which I shall be covenanting with the house of Israel after those days,the Lord is saying: "Imparting My laws (Torah) to their comprehension, On their hearts, also, shall I be inscribing them, And I shall be to them for a God, And they shall be to Me for a people."

So he'll be writing his Torah on our hearts. What does this mean; and why is it a better covenant?

(CLV) Ezk 11:19
Then I will give them another heart, And a new spirit shall I bestow within them; I will take away the heart of stone from their flesh, And I will give them a heart of flesh,

I see he's given us a new heart, not a heart of stone, that follows laws written in stone.

(CLV) Ezk 11:20
That they may walk in My statutes, And they may observe My ordinances and obey them; So they will become My people, And I Myself shall become their Elohim, says Yahweh.

I will give you a new heart, And a new spirit will I bestow within you, And I will take away the heart of stone from your flesh, And I will give you a heart of flesh.

So under the old covenant YHWH's People didn't have a heart to keep the Torah; but when he gives us a new heart, and a new spirit; we want to be obedient to his Torah.

(CLV) 1Jn 5:1
Everyone who is believing that Jesus is the Christ is begotten of God. And everyone who is loving Him Who begets is loving him also who is begotten by Him.

(CLV) 1Jn 5:2
In this we know that we are loving the children of God, whenever we may be loving God and may be doing His precepts.

(CLV) 1Jn 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we may be keeping His precepts. And His precepts are not heavy,

It's easy to be obedient with a heart of love toward a loving father

(CLV) Mt 5:17
"You should not infer that I came to demolish the law or the prophets. I came not to demolish, but to fulfill.

(CLV) Mt 5:18
For verily, I am saying to you, Till heaven and earth should be passing by, one iota or one serif may by no means be passing by from the law till all should be occurring.

(CLV) Hb 7:12
For, the priesthood being transferred, of necessity there is coming to be a transference of law also,

Strong's G3346
to transpose (two things, one of which is put in place of the other)
to transfer
G3346 - metatithēmi - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
do see Israel and the church as distinct in Scripture.

(CLV) Hb 8:10
"For this is the covenant which I shall be covenanting with the house of Israel after those days," the Lord is saying: "Imparting My laws to their comprehension, On their hearts, also, shall I be inscribing them, And I shall be to them for a God, And they shall be to Me for a people.

(CLV) Mt 15:24
Now He, [Yahshua] answering, said, "I was not commissioned except for the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

• Friendly
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
(CLV) Hb 8:10
"For this is the covenant which I shall be covenanting with the house of Israel after those days," the Lord is saying: "Imparting My laws to their comprehension, On their hearts, also, shall I be inscribing them, And I shall be to them for a God, And they shall be to Me for a people.

(CLV) Mt 15:24
Now He, [Yahshua] answering, said, "I was not commissioned except for the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
Three quite distinct groups of ppl in Scripture are seen in 1 Corinthians 10.32.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PS: Re. grace, Ephesians chapters 1 and 2 make wonderful reading. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Jacob Black FYI:

"All of grace, yes, grace surpassing
Such a portion to bestow,
But the love, all knowledge passing,
Grace has taught us now to know.

Love that bore the stripes and sorrow,
Love that suffered on the Tree,
Love that shares the bright tomorrow
With the loved ones, you and me."

Upvote 0

Jacob Black

Jan 10, 2020
Utrecht
✟19,669.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now, looking at them, Jesus said to them, "With men this is impossible, yet with God all is possible."

Everyone who is begotten of God is not doing sin, for His seed is remaining in him, and he can not be sinning, for he is begotten of God.

We must have faith.

(CLV) Ezk 36:27
My spirit shall I bestow within you, And I will make it that you shall walk in My statutes and observe My ordinances, And you will obey them.

1 John 1:8

While we are still in the flesh we will continue to sin until we leave it behind in the dust (dying) or when we are taken away and glorified (the rapture). You shouldn't make sinning a habit just because you are forgiven, but you will still continue to occasionally sin from to time to time as long as you remain in this fallen world. You just aren't under condemnation from God anymore because Jesus paid your debt (1 John 1:9).

Are you completely honest with yourself HARK!? Do you never ever (100% of the time) sin? You never eat too much, sleep too much, have an intrusive sinful thought, get jealous, get unjustifiably angry, get impatient, you always love your neighbor as much as yourself and love God above all else every single millisecond of the day?

God's law is indeed good because it is from God. Problem is that nobody can keep it perfectly, which He absolutely requires of you. Break one law one time and it's spiritual death for you (Romans 6:23 again). Adam couldn't keep one command God gave him (don't eat the fruit). He disobeyed and spiritually died, and so did we. That's why Jesus came, to live the perfect life that Adam couldn't live so that we, who cannot keep the law because of our sin nature inherited from Adam, still have a chance to spend an eternity with Him.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Three quite distinct groups of ppl in Scripture are seen in 1 Corinthians 10.32.

(CLV) 1Co 10:32
And become not a stumbling block to Jews as well as to Greeks and to the ecclesia of God,

So we had those obedient to the law, with no faith. We had those worshiping false gods. Then we had the Ecclesia, which had faith and the Law.

I could probably throw Agnostics in there too. Here's why:

(CLV) Ga 3:27
For whoever are baptized into Christ, put on Christ,

(CLV) Ga 3:28
in Whom there is not Jew nor yet Greek, there is not slave nor yet free, there is not male and female, for you all are one in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 John 1:8

While we are still in the flesh we will continue to sin until we leave it behind in the dust (dying) or when we are taken away and glorified (the rapture). You shouldn't make sinning a habit just because you are forgiven, but you will still continue to occasionally sin from to time to time as long as you remain in this fallen world. You just aren't under condemnation from God anymore because Jesus paid your debt (1 John 1:9).

Are you completely honest with yourself HARK!? Do you never ever (100% of the time) sin? You never eat too much, sleep too much, have an intrusive sinful thought, get jealous, get unjustifiably angry, get impatient, you always love your neighbor as much as yourself and love God above all else every single millisecond of the day?

God's law is indeed good because it is from God. Problem is that nobody can keep it perfectly, which He absolutely requires of you. Break one law one time and it's spiritual death for you (Romans 6:23 again). Adam couldn't keep one command God gave him (don't eat the fruit). He disobeyed and spiritually died, and so did we. That's why Jesus came, to live the perfect life that Adam couldn't live so that we, who cannot keep the law because of our sin nature inherited from Adam, still have a chance to spend an eternity with Him.
Romans, Hebrews and Galatians beautifully describe the blessedness of justification by faith, excluding law keeping.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
the dust (dying) or when we are taken away and glorified (the rapture). You shouldn't make sinning a habit just because you are forgiven, but you will still continue to occasionally sin from to time to time as long as you remain in this fallen world. You just aren't under condemnation from God anymore because Jesus paid your debt (1 John 1:9).

(CLV) 1Jn 1:9
If we should be avowing our sins, He is faithful and just that He may be pardoning us our sins and should be cleansing us from all injustice.

Again:

Again:

We either believe scripture or we don't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

I'm a work in progress. I'm still coming into my faith. I do believe that YHWH has a plan for me. Yaushua said our righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees. I don't even believe that I'm at that level. Time is short. I pray for YHWH to give me the strength to do his will. How can he refuse?

Upvote 0

Jacob Black

Jan 10, 2020
Utrecht
✟19,669.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm a work in progress. I'm still coming into my faith. I do believe that YHWH has a plan for me. Yaushua said our righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees. I don't even believe that I'm at that level. Time is short. I pray for YHWH to give me the strength to do his will. How can he refuse?

You want to be completely righteous on your own efforts before God? Fine, just keep all these commandments perfectly from the moment you were born till the very second you die: List

No stumbling allowed (James 2:10 and Romans 6:23).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You want to be completely righteous on your own efforts before God? Fine, just keep all these commandments perfectly from the moment you were born till the very second you die: List

No stumbling allowed (James 2:10 and Romans 6:23).
Ephesians 2.9 comes to mind: Not of works!

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Adam couldn't keep one command God gave him (don't eat the fruit).

It's no different for us. Adam was in the garden with the Father. All he knew was good. The he ate the fruit of knowledge of good and evil; he knew something other than good. There is only one good, YHWH. Whatever it is that we put between ourselves and the Father, is what separates us from the father.

Think about that. I've given it lots of thought, how self centered I am. how I idolize myself over YHWH. How by doing so, I elevate myself above him. That is what Satan does. YHWH tells us to pray incessantly. He tells us to love him with all our minds. ALL! I wonder if that includes my medulla? Probably. To be out of the body is to be with YHWH. If you take time to think about how any of this might apply to you; you have taken a thought for yourself; and away from YHWH. YHWH has shown me what my commitment to him must be. Again; I pray that he gives me the strength to lay down my will, lay down my life, to do his will.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You want to be completely righteous on your own efforts before God?

How did you get that from praying to give me the strength to do his will? It's his strength through our faith in him.

Upvote 0