Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's a relatively new idea I think, but I have seen a few people (very lately) suggest that John Lennon was the "greatest" member of the Beatles. From the time of the Beatles until about 1999 or so, anyone who suggested that would have been laughed at. Their post-Beatles work is proof. McCartney was still going strong after the Beatles broke up. In some ways, his music was even better than a lot of Beatles music. John Lennon created very little in the 1970's in comparison.

I'm not trying to say that Paul McCartney was on a level with Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, etc. And I'm not trying to diminish the collaborative greatness of the Beatles. But he is one of rock and roll's great originals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm2YyVZBL8U

welshman

Mar 5, 2008
Wales
✟23,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I cannot stand Paul McCartney (or the Beatles) for that matter. Many of the Beatles songs were about drugs. These include “Strawberry Fields Forever,” “Day Tripper,” “Yellow Submarine,” “Help,” “Cold Turkey,” “Glass Onion,” “I Am the Walrus,” and “Penny Lane.” (The Beatles have admitted that these are drug songs.)

All of them reject the gospel that we believe in, rather they have looked to Eastern religions and false gods. Here is a line from John Lennon's "Imagine"...
“Imagine there’s no heaven, it’s easy if you try...No hell below us, above only sky"

John Lennon took drugs, admitted that he "beat women" (if you disagree I can provide the souce:Giuliano, Lennon in America, p. 20), dabbled with the occult, took part in séances.

"Imagine" was recently voted the greatest song of all-time.:doh:I know this has turned into a rant, but even as a "Brit"...The Beatles in my opinion are the most over-rated and probably one of the most anti-God/Bible pop groups that has ever lived.

People are entitled to disagree though. I'm just giving my opinion on how I see things.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"Imagine" is not a great song. I consider it a piece of trash. I won't argue with you about their spirituality.

It was John Lennon who admitted to not believing in Jesus Christ (after his famous "more popular than Jesus" quote.) John Lennon was an idiot, spiritually speaking.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If we are going to get into their spirituality, then George Harrison was perhaps the worst of the entire band. He wrote a song called "My Sweet Lord" (which plagiarized the melody to "He's So Fine") and the lyrics go on the menion Hare Krishna and other false gods.

I'm not criticizing Harrison's music. I find beauty in the music of India, which influenced him briefly during the 1960's.

Upvote 0

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Penny Lane is about a neighborhood in Liverpool. Strawberry Fields Forever is about an orphanage. Day Tripper is about the drug culture becoming mainstream. I'm not saying they weren't heavily influenced by drugs but it's pop music... from the 60's. What is to be expected? I think that Paul Mccartney is underrated because unlike John Lennon he did do a lot of envelope pushing after the Beatles. He still was a great songwriter. Though I think Paul ruined "A Day in the Life"

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
On the one hand, it is easy as Christians to "dismiss" a musician like Paul McCartney for not being a great worship leader or something. For not playing religious music. On the other hand, I don't think that anyone who listens to secular music (rock/pop) can say anything against the man. The Beatles appeared at a time when rock music was in its last dying breaths. We may not even have rock music if not for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Speaking of John Lennon, here's a picture of him.

dead_afro_lawn_beetle.jpg

Upvote 0