Visit site
✟83,723.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know exactly what was Paul’s thorn in the flesh. What do I know?

2 Corinthians 12:
7 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations,
That's the purpose of Paul's thorn: to keep him humble. God humbles everyone, including his prophets and servants.
a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me,
It was not literally a thorn. Satan used it to constantly harass Paul. God used Satan to keep Paul humble. It could be some kind of psychological attack. Perhaps that's why Paul wasn't being precise in describing it.
to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
The thorn was a weakness in Paul.
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
This was how Paul dealt with it practically in contentment.
10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
He looked to the strength of God, not to the thorn. That's the bottom line.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know exactly what was Paul’s thorn in the flesh. What do I know?

2 Corinthians 12:

That's the purpose of Paul's thorn: to keep him humble. God humbles everyone, including his prophets and servants.

It was not literally a thorn. Satan used it to constantly harass Paul. God used Satan to keep Paul humble. It could be some kind of psychological attack. Perhaps that's why Paul wasn't being precise in describing it.

The thorn was a weakness in Paul.

This was how Paul dealt with it practically in contentment.

He looked to the strength of God, not to the thorn. That's the bottom line.
I believe the thorn was " guilt " for persecuting the saints which in turn persecuted Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Imagine hearing these words and the pain and guilt of hurting His Lord. God allowed this pain to continue until death.

And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

Blessings

• Informative
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Literal translation 12:7-9

Furthermore …. so I would not be overly exalted by reason of exceeding greatness of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh… a messenger of Satan, to buffet me so that I would not be overly exalted.

Concerning this I besought the Lord three times that it might depart from me, and he said unto me ...... “my grace is adequate for you, for my power is perfectly accomplished in weakness.” ....Therefore, I will most gladly boast even more in my weakness …so that the power of Christ may reside in me.

The word buffet .… is to hit or slap (specifically with the open hand) and for the slapper to indicate that the person they are buffeting is incorrect … and is to be corrected. This verb (kolaphizo) also carries the connotation of verbal chastisement.

Verse 7 angelos = messenger, agent, angel. The messengers referred to in the scriptures were either spirit messengers’ angels, or human messengers who were sent by God, by Satan or by people.

The context indicates which of these messengers is being referred to.…. Here in verse 7 it is used to refer to a messenger of Satan which also explains what is meant here by a thorn in the flesh.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Roughly a third of Patristic figures said Samuel did appear, another third said it was an illusion, smoke and mirrors stuff, basically, and finally the remaining third argued it was a demon impersonating the Holy Prophet Samuel. I myself agree with the latter two perspectives, that it was either charlatanism on the part of the Witch of Endor, or a demon impersonating St. Samuel, given the useless nature of the advice and the divine prohibition against necromancy.

Upvote 0