Should Patriotism and National Pride Be Part of Church?

• Yes

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As it is the week of July 4th, many churches may be singing songs praising America this Sunday. The church I attend is one of them. Every year they do the same and every year I feel uncomfortable about it.

I am Canadian (I moved here 3 years ago to marry my now husband) and we never sang the national anthem or any songs celebrating Canada in church. I firmly believe church is about Jesus Christ and praising God, not earthly things like praising specific nations/countries.

On days like this I never feel like I belong here and this drives home the point for me; Church is about being one in Christ, yet on days like this that is not the focus, National pride is. Also, the point is made in song that God gave His grace to America above all other nations. We know from Scripture that this is false. God’s grace is for all mankind. America is not God’s primary receptor of grace.

Galatians 3:
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

I’m interested to know what others here think.

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That's a big No. Religion-supported nationalism generally doesn't lead anywhere good.

Agreed. I’m just sitting here before church starts, listening to the rehearsal of song after song praising America and presenting this one country as though it is the primary recipient of God’s grace.

I definitely feel like I don’t belong here today.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I would also be interested to know, from any members here who are not American, does your church sing patriotic songs? As I mentioned in the OP, the church I attended growing up (in Canada) did not. Perhaps there are churches in Canada or countries other than the U.S. that do.

Please share. :)

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. I’m just sitting here before church starts, listening to the rehearsal of song after song praising America and presenting this one country as though it is the primary recipient of God’s grace.

I'm lucky - our service today will mention our nation in our prayers the same as we usually do: praying for those who need help, praying for those who are suffering, and praying for the strength and will to go and serve them in humility and love.

Beyond that, no jingoism. It's not needed, nor is it helpful.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm lucky - our service today will mention our nation in our prayers the same as we usually do: praying for those who need help, praying for those who are suffering, and praying for the strength and will to go and serve them in humility and love.

Beyond that, no jingoism. It's not needed, nor is it helpful.

There are a variety of reasons I would like to attend a different church. My husband’s family has been coming here for years though and my husband volunteers here and runs the slides. Also, we are planning to move to Canada, hopefully within the year, so neither of us want to go through joining another gathering just to leave when we are likely just getting settled there.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
As it is the week of July 4th, many churches may be singing songs praising America this Sunday. The church I attend is one of them. Every year they do the same and every year I feel uncomfortable about it.

I am Canadian (I moved here 3 years ago to marry my now husband) and we never sang the national anthem or any songs celebrating Canada in church. I firmly believe church is about Jesus Christ and praising God, not earthly things like praising specific nations/countries.

On days like this I never feel like I belong here and this drives home the point for me; Church is about being one in Christ, yet on days like this that is not the focus, National pride is. Also, the point is made in song that God gave His grace to America above all other nations. We know from Scripture that this is false. God’s grace is for all mankind. America is not God’s primary receptor of grace.

Galatians 3:
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

I’m interested to know what others here think.
I believe our first allegiance is to the Lord. There are those who believe our first allegiance should be to our country. Others believe our first allegiance should be to our political party. Some believe our first allegiance should be to our pastor or bishop.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I believe our first allegiance is to the Lord. There are those who believe our first allegiance should be to our country. Others believe our first allegiance should be to our political party. Some believe our first allegiance should be to our pastor or bishop.

Well said, I agree.

Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This is more of what I’m referring to. Today is Canada Day and this was posted by a friend on Facebook.

28AC8753-CB24-4995-8AF4-1CDF60810BA4.jpeg

That verse is NOT about Canada, it is about Israel. We really need to stop ripping verses out of context and making them about anything we decide to apply them to.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I would also be interested to know, from any members here who are not American, does your church sing patriotic songs? As I mentioned in the OP, the church I attended growing up (in Canada) did not. Perhaps there are churches in Canada or countries other than the U.S. that do.

Please share. :)
No. I don't like flag waving types

• Agree
Reactions: Shadow
Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I understand the reservations about introducing Nationalism into church(es)..

But, bcuz America has been a unique, & unprecedented, refuge for persecuted sects (& religions).. I think it's ok for churches to recognize & celebrate America. Just my opinion..

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You say many churches do this, but I have never been to a church that did anything different this time of year, except maybe having a picnic or something.

I said “many churches may”, and I wrote that the one I attend does, though the one I grew up attending did not.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I understand the reservations about introducing Nationalism into church(es)..

But, bcuz America has been a unique, & unprecedented, refuge for persecuted sects (& religions).. I think it's ok for churches to recognize & celebrate America. Just my opinion..

I obviously disagree. But, thank you for sharing your opinion.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't blame you for feeling that way. I would even, as a born and raised American feel uncomfortable praising America in church. I take the same position on this as John Piper does.
Should Patriotism Have a Place in Church?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is more of what I’m referring to. Today is Canada Day and this was posted by a friend on Facebook.

View attachment 232326

That verse is NOT about Canada, it is about Israel. We really need to stop ripping verses out of context and making them about anything we decide to apply them to.

I can't stand stuff like this. it feeds on the ignorant and if you say anything contrary to it all these people jump on you like you're some big downer. Where it is true Canada and the US (plus many western nations) have a lot to be thankful for we need to be very careful when we superimpose this over scripture. Our allegiance should be to God first and where that may be easy to say I still see a firm grasp of God in one hand while the other has a firm grasp on their national patriotism. When we represent Christ we need to cast down all other flags and earthly allegiances so that we may glorify him more without the waving flag in the background. The position the majority take on this in the country should be self evident and there is no need to artificially puff it up declaring God's blessing on it. If I were to apply any verse to Canada/US jointly it would be the message to the church in Laodiceia from Rev 3:14-22 and it is a sobering message.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I can't stand stuff like this. it feeds on the ignorant and if you say anything contrary to it all these people jump on you like you're some big downer. Where it is true Canada and the US (plus many western nations) have a lot to be thankful for we need to be very careful when we superimpose this over scripture. Our allegiance should be to God first and where that may be easy to say I still see a firm grasp of God in one hand while the other has a firm grasp on their national patriotism. When we represent Christ we need to cast down all other flags and earthly allegiances so that we may glorify him more without the waving flag in the background. The position the majority take on this in the country should be self evident and there is no need to artificially puff it up declaring God's blessing on it. If I were to apply any first to Canada/US jointly it would be the message to the church in Laodiceia from Rev 3:14-22 and it is a sobering message.

I agree. I couldn’t have said it better. I have no problem with people getting together to do activities outside or watch fireworks but when a worship service becomes more about praising a country or nation than about praising God, I draw the line.

In Christ there are no countries, we are all one as true believers, we are brethren.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0