MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We must pray for them that they may be saved.

But we don't have the same kind of rapport with the Patriarchs that the Catholics have with their Pope. We have had a lot of saintly Patriarch, many of whom died a martyrs death under the Turks (or let's hope that they did). I think that as Orthodox Christians we realize that the head of our Church is Christ and even if the Patriarch is a heretic that the faith will be carried on by at least one bishop who remains true. The saintly bishops try to be present at every consecration of a new bishop to insure that apostolic succession is carried on. Christ said that He would be with His Church and that Satan will not prevail against us. We have that promise. That is what counts.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Orthodox Andrew

Orthodox Church- Telling The Truth Since 33 A.D.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟19,548.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
chanter said:
We must pray for them that they may be saved.

But we don't have the same kind of rapport with the Patriarchs that the Catholics have with their Pope. We have had a lot of saintly Patriarch, many of whom died a martyrs death under the Turks (or let's hope that they did). I think that as Orthodox Christians we realize that the head of our Church is Christ and even if the Patriarch is a heretic that the faith will be carried on by at least one bishop who remains true. The saintly bishops try to be present at every consecration of a new bishop to insure that apostolic succession is carried on. Christ said that He would be with His Church and that Satan will not prevail against us. We have that promise. That is what counts.

Hope this helps.
I could not have wished for a better answer. Thanks, chanter.:)

Upvote 0

Cradle

Greek East Anglian Russian Eastern Orthodox
Apr 1, 2004
✟621.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Andreas said:
Am I obligated to respect them and their opinions? Even if it may seem like that are acting out heresy?

I would just be a bit more careful with the use of the word "heresy". There is no doubt bishops (and for that matter priests, deacons and us laymen as well) are normal persons, potentially with their errors, lack of knowledge, lack of discretion, or otherwise misleading opinions. Quite frankly, it happens that members of the clergy, even of the highest rank, at times speak nonsense, even during sermons or in articles in papers. And no, we are not obliged to follow every single piece of advice - although we should respect them in their capacity to perform the Holy Sacraments.

However, what constitutes a "heresy" (as opposed to a personal view which may not always be fully compliant to the teachings of the church) is not on us individuals to determine, but rather on the Body of the Church. For example, we don't adapt every single word of St. Augustine or Origen, but this doesn't mean we consider them "heretics"! That's my understanding at least. Our True Faith derives from the Consensus of the Fathers, but an individual opinion of an individual Father can be wrong! Remember : we recognise sainthood, we don't recognise absolute infallibility, even to Fathers of the Church, let alone a random patriarch!

What we can do as individuals, is choose a spiritual father that our conscience confirms is a man of virtue, discretion and wisdom. Someone we feel we can build a real father - son / daughter relationship with. And then accept or reject advice from "third parties" following discussion with him and a lot of prayer.

Nothing wrong with chanter's answer, just thought I'd give a more "every day life" comment.

Christos Anesti Andrea :wave: .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.