Visit site
✟1,357,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer. Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.” 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 ESV

If we are true followers of Jesus Christ, doing his will, serving his purposes, obeying his commands, living holy lives pleasing to God, we are going to be afflicted and persecuted, and we will go through trials and tribulations which we were destined for. These are situations in our lives which are troublesome and emotionally and/or physically disturbing and challenging, which test what we are made of. For they put pressure on us which may hem us in and may make us feel confined and without options, with no way of escape.

Now I am presently going through one of those, and this is challenging and troublesome and heartbreaking. And it is requiring having to make some very difficult decisions which impact more than just myself. There actually are two separate but connected tribulations I am presently facing, one which has been going on a very long time, but just recently got ignited again, and the other has been going on for nineteen years, mostly quietly in the background, but has just recently resurfaced. And both hit at the same time.

So, I have been praying these through for several days now, engaging in conversations with those involved, and seeking the counsel of the Lord for wisdom in making biblically sound and just and loving responses to everyone concerned. But some of this involves speaking the truth in love in these situations, and the truth is not always comfortable or welcome to talk about. Do you remember Jesus’ words to the Pharisees in Matthew 23? Most people would not consider those loving or kind words, but they were both.

And those are not comfortable situations. Confronting lies and hypocrisy and false accusations, etc., is not fun! But it is necessary. And it doesn’t always end well. Again, look at the results of Jesus’ conversations with the scribes and Pharisees and Sadducees and other Jewish people who opposed him, and who accused him falsely, and who sinned against him, even his own brothers. Look at the results of Paul’s conversations with them, as well. They crucified Jesus. Paul they put in prison for a very long time on false charges.

Nonetheless, God is still sovereign over all that he has made. He is still in control. All the days ordained for me were written down in his book before one of them came into being (Psalms 139:16). No matter all the trials and tribulations I have gone through in my life, God was still sovereign and he allowed them for his purposes to make me who I am today doing what he has called me to do for his purposes and glory and for the salvation of lives and for the encouragement of his church, the body of Christ.

And the Lord comforts us in all our afflictions and trials and tribulations. But this word comfort isn’t all just the feel good stuff. Some of it is, but not all of it. For it can involve exhortation, entreaty, urging, cautioning, warning, and even correcting and reprimanding (if we are the ones in the wrong). But it also includes reassurances, promises, cheering, and encouraging in an uplifting way. But we need to be willing to receive both correction as well as the cheering or we will never face our situations honestly and fairly.

For example, in my present trials, I have taken much time before the Lord making certain that what I am saying is the truth. And if he prompted me to correct anything I said, I immediately took care of that so that there would be no misunderstandings that I caused. I examined my own heart and mind and I listened in my own head to what was said on both sides to make certain that I was not hearing something the wrong way. And I prayed much for wisdom to know how to respond to these two situations.

So, what the above means is that, just in the same ways in which our Lord comforts us in our trials and tribulations, we need to comfort others. And it is never loving to lie to people just to make them feel good. It is never loving to withhold the truth from them that they need to hear, either, just because you don’t want to offend them. We need to speak the truth to one another, but we need to speak it in love, but love never compromises truth just to make people feel good and not offended. But be sure it is the truth.

So when we comfort others with the kind of “feel-good” comfort that everyone likes to have, we need to make certain that we are not compromising truth and righteousness, and that we are not lying to people and giving them false hopes or false promises. But most of all we need to make certain that we are being led by the Holy Spirit in what to say to others and that we don’t just react emotionally, or that if we do, that we immediately correct those situations and do not let them fester.

So, what is the comfort that I can offer to all of you today who are also going through trials and tribulations which test your faith? Pray continually! Seek God’s face! Be willing to receive both the feel good stuff and the corrections. And if you need to confess you were wrong about something, then do it. Don’t be prideful. Ask the Lord if there is anything in your life that needs changing and if this is the reason for the trial, maybe because you need to learn patience or endurance or to increase your faith and your resolve to follow the Lord in all things, even against great opposition.

And if you are at peace with God, and you have the reassurance from him that you did nothing wrong, then just keep following him in obedience in doing what he leads you to do, even if everyone deserts you like they did Jesus. For we are heading into a very difficult period of time in our world where we can see the “rising of the beast” and the changing of the seasons and that something not good is in the air, and that all this is leading to a one world order, the order of the beast. But do not fear what is inevitable!

[Matt 5:10-12; Matt 10:16-25; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 6:22-23; Lu 21:12-19; Jn 15:1-21; Jn 16:33; Jn 17:14; Ac 14:22; Rom 5:3-5; Phil 3:7-11; 1 Pet 1:6-7; 1 Pet 4:12-17; 2 Tim 3:12; 1 Thess 3:1-5; Jas 1:2-4; 2 Co 1:3-11; Heb 12:3-12; 1 Jn 3:13; Rev 6:9-11; Rev 7:9-17; Rev 11:1-3; Rev 12:17; Rev 13:1-18; Rev 14:1-13]

You Loved Me

An Original Work / December 3, 2019
A song based off the poem by the same name

When I was lonely and afflicted,
You were there to pick me up.
You took me in Your arms,
And You held me tenderly.

Your love embraced me.
Your grace sustained me.

When my heart cried out to You
In my fear and my despair,
You never turned away,
But You let me know You loved me.

Your grace forgave me.
You did not shame me.

Then, when I answered the call,
“Here, Lord, send me.”
You sent me to where I must be.
Your mercy held me, did not fail me.
All this, You had planned, to use me.

And, when all trials and scorn
Came to test me.
You gave me all that I would need.
You strengthened me so I’d not fail You.
Your kindness blessed me, it touched me.

And, when I needed the church
To lift up me,
To hearten me so I’d not fail,
You blessed me with folks who would love me.
Their presence with me, Your praise hailed!

And, when I walked through the valley
Of the shadow of the death,
And tears flowed from my eyes,
Still Your kindness was there for me.

Your touch, it healed me.
For I believed You.

When now I think about the ways,
Of the many, many ways
That You in Your great love
Show me that You’ll always care for me,

My heart, it thanks You,
And gladness fills me, fills me.

Danny&Annie&theChristmas

Nov 11, 2023
Houston
✟2,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I took am in an impossible situation that only the Lord can deliver me from. I was born into an impossible situation and will most likely live whatever remains of my life still within an inch of my life.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I took am in an impossible situation that only the Lord can deliver me from. I was born into an impossible situation and will most likely live whatever remains of my life still within an inch of my life.
Sorry to hear that. I pray you will trust the Lord with your circumstances and that he will guide you in what to do.

Upvote 0

Danny&Annie&theChristmas

Nov 11, 2023
Houston
✟2,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to hear that. I pray you will trust the Lord with your circumstances and that he will guide you in what to do.
And may the Lord deliver us all who are suffering. May this be within His will for each of us.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And may the Lord deliver us all who are suffering. May this be within His will for each of us.
But I struggle with Jesus telling us we must pick up our own crosses and follow him, share in his suffering.
I am more apt to pray that it is taken away.

Upvote 0