Visit site
✟486,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recently read an article that suggested there are essentially six steps to becoming a disciple of Christ. I’ve taken those six steps and expanded on them slightly to come up with the following:

The first step is to know and understand who Jesus is, what He expects from you, and to develop your personal relationship with Him.

The second step is to know where the Bible comes from, whom it was written for, why we trust it, and to develop an ongoing study of the Bible with specific goals.

Step three is to develop a regular practice of prayer individually, one-on-one, and in groups.

Step four is to develop relationships with other believers, support other believers, seek support from other believers, and to develop strategies to do God’s work together with other believers.

Step five is to develop the ability to articulate why you are a Christian, why others should trust Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and to assist in sharing the gospel in some way. The ultimate goal is for you to personally participate in sharing the gospel and to contribute to an ongoing effort to share the gospel.

Step six is to develop your personal talents that can be used for ministry, to participate in ministry using your talents, and to develop new ways to minister to others using your talents.

I personally believe the process is different for everyone, but these six steps are a good starting point. I’ve expanded on my understanding of each step in a blog post. If you care to look at a more detailed consideration of the process you can find that here: Path to Discipleship

I think it’s likely we each excel in one or two areas of the six steps but not all six. I know I still have a long way to go. I think this outline does a good job getting us pointed in the right direction.

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Nice work! And do not be discouraged that no one replied. No response is, in this case, your full confirmation. That's right, most folks won't pay much attention to posts like this because they are blind, disobedient Christians. Oh, the plight of the hardened hearts, and there are millions and millions in the Christian church living our their secret, hidden gospel (lower case g).

I believe in you.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recently read an article that suggested there are essentially six steps to becoming a disciple of Christ. I’ve taken those six steps and expanded on them slightly to come up with the following:

The first step is to know and understand who Jesus is, what He expects from you, and to develop your personal relationship with Him.

The second step is to know where the Bible comes from, whom it was written for, why we trust it, and to develop an ongoing study of the Bible with specific goals.

Step three is to develop a regular practice of prayer individually, one-on-one, and in groups.

Step four is to develop relationships with other believers, support other believers, seek support from other believers, and to develop strategies to do God’s work together with other believers.

Step five is to develop the ability to articulate why you are a Christian, why others should trust Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and to assist in sharing the gospel in some way. The ultimate goal is for you to personally participate in sharing the gospel and to contribute to an ongoing effort to share the gospel.

Step six is to develop your personal talents that can be used for ministry, to participate in ministry using your talents, and to develop new ways to minister to others using your talents.

I personally believe the process is different for everyone, but these six steps are a good starting point. I’ve expanded on my understanding of each step in a blog post. If you care to look at a more detailed consideration of the process you can find that here: Path to Discipleship

I think it’s likely we each excel in one or two areas of the six steps but not all six. I know I still have a long way to go. I think this outline does a good job getting us pointed in the right direction.

If don't satisfy Luke 14:26,27 and 33, you are not a disciple!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your source article seriously does not understand what discipleship involved in the first century. It was a well-established institution and EVERYONE knew exactly what was required.

Upvote 0

catcher2000

Nov 6, 2018
Sacramento
✟17,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the steps you outline here. They are a good guide. I think in step four I would suggest for Christians to consider joining a small group at church. Jesus modeled this with the first small group of 12 disciples. A book that is one of my favorites is The Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert Coleman. He breaks down Jesus strategy for making disciples.

Upvote 0