Pastors who call themselves a "prophet"?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So I was wondering what Christians here think about self-proclaimed "prophets"?
My personal opinion is that anyone who labels himself as prophet isn't a prophet. That's , particularly true when he does it in the self-aggrandizing manner you have described to us and, also, when there isn't anything particularly prophetic coming forth from him.

Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
many of the prophecies in Genesis and throughout the book related to events in Jesus life and ministry, so the argument that scripture was intended for the context of the time it was written in certainly does not apply to the things that were accomplished in Jesus 1st advent: so why would you not expect those same scriptures to apply to the 2nd coming as well?
The major issues of course are that not all of them were foretelling the life and ministry of Jesus.

To suggest that all scripture is universal smacks of anti-contextualism. Not every scripture, nay, not even most meant for those times are meant for the 'last days.'

No one knows when the Son of Man returns, and no one understands the signs of the times.

However, since I reject all that and knowing I don't know, I live every day as if tomorrow is the final day.

I have no problem whatsoever in my relation with Jesus. I call him Lord, and he calls me by my first name.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Why fresh stuff?
I said fresh stuff because that is what the passage implies.
If these people were expected to repeat existing scriptures they could be simply learned, as indeed many did at that time.
Matt10v18And you will be brought also before governors and kings on account of Me, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. 19And when they deliver you up, do not be anxious how or what you should speak; for in that hour you will be given what you should say, 20for you are not those speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
And if it is the Spirit of the Father speaking, why would he limit himself to existing things.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
My sisters go to a tiny pentecostal church and the pastor (who did a doctorate in demonology) calls himself a prophet - "Prophet [first initial] [Last name]". The website usually no longer says what his first name is. My sister said he doesn't want to be famous. On the website he has 14 books that he has written listed - there doesn't seem to be an easy way to buy them. One of my sisters is working on her 4th book (related to Christianity) though she is a speech therapist.

Here are excerpts from a sermon of his from several years ago:

I focused on the parts I found most repulsive but I don't think it is out of context.

I think there is at least one passage in the OT that says that if a supposed prophet gets something wrong, then they should be put to death.

My sisters said that in the NT it says that people can have the gift of prophecy.

In Deuteronomy 13:4-5, the way that God instructed His people to determine that someone is a false prophet who is not speaking for God is if they teach against obeying the Mosaic Law.

• Informative
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I said fresh stuff because that is what the passage implies.
If these people were expected to repeat existing scriptures they could be simply learned, as indeed many did at that time.
Matt10v18And you will be brought also before governors and kings on account of Me, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. 19And when they deliver you up, do not be anxious how or what you should speak; for in that hour you will be given what you should say, 20for you are not those speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
And if it is the Spirit of the Father speaking, why would he limit himself to existing things.
Okay, i see.
But i think most Christians could use big help in finding the right Bible verses to counter what people may throw at them.
And i think it would be more powerful too, to use that good old hated Book, to show it has all been revealed thousands of years ago and sitting on countless bookshelves around the world.
So that's kind of how i envisioned it.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe the gift of prophesy is still for today. However, not everyone who claims to be a prophet of God is one. If anyone claims to know the day or the hour of Christ's return, that person is a false prophet (Matthew 24:23-36). So are any so-called prophets that directly lead people into clear sin (Revelation 2:20) and who make specific predictions that do not come true (Deuteronomy 18:22).

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,296.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
G_d talked with only a few people in the OT but now He talks to all (John 10:27-28). But not all are prophets (I Cor 12:29). Yes, great care should be taken when speaking words from G_d.

Also, "...ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted." (I Cor 14:31).

How are we doing? Don't know of any sheep who hear and speak with 100% accuracy but that shouldn't keep us from serving

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Okay, i see.
But i think most Christians could use big help in finding the right Bible verses to counter what people may throw at them.
But why do you presume its about bible verses? When you read about the apostles' adventures, they didn't just speak in scriptures to people, they spoke like real people do, using scriptures only where appropriate.
And i think it would be more powerful too, to use that good old hated Book, to show it has all been revealed thousands of years ago and sitting on countless bookshelves around the world.
So that's kind of how i envisioned it.
And that's why the Lord says not to do that, but instead to listen to what the spirit says.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But why do you presume its about bible verses? When you read about the apostles' adventures, they didn't just speak in scriptures to people, they spoke like real people do, using scriptures only where appropriate.
Real people can use scripture too.
Not saying they should only cite scripture.
And that's why the Lord says not to do that, but instead to listen to what the spirit says.
That's not what He said though.
The point is not to rely on your own knowledge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
G_d talked with only a few people in the OT but now He talks to all (John 10:27-28). But not all are prophets (I Cor 12:29). Yes, great care should be taken when speaking words from G_d.

Also, "...ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted." (I Cor 14:31).

How are we doing? Don't know of any sheep who hear and speak with 100% accuracy.
Talking of sheep, about 15 years back, I kept a flock and none of them knew my voice!

But that's another story.

• Haha
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My sisters go to a tiny pentecostal church and the pastor (who did a doctorate in demonology) calls himself a prophet - "Prophet [first initial] [Last name]". The website usually no longer says what his first name is. My sister said he doesn't want to be famous. On the website he has 14 books that he has written listed - there doesn't seem to be an easy way to buy them. One of my sisters is working on her 4th book (related to Christianity) though she is a speech therapist.

I focused on the parts I found most repulsive but I don't think it is out of context.

I think there is at least one passage in the OT that says that if a supposed prophet gets something wrong, then they should be put to death.

My sisters said that in the NT it says that people can have the gift of prophecy.

On the surface it sounds like a cult. I didn't bother with the video.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Interesting I know of a shepherd whose experience was the opposite. Could only whisper; otherwise, the sheep would come running.
The rest of the story.

At lambing time we ended up with 5 orphan lambs which we decided to keep in the woodshed and bottle feed.
As they matured they we let them into the garden to graze, which of course wrecked the garden! If the doors were left open they would run around the house like puppies.

Finally, when big enough, we let them join the main flock.

Months later, I was walking across the field to my workshops and as usual, the whole flock fled away to the other side of the field. Except for one little group that got half way there, and then hesitated, looking back at me.

I could see the light of recognition spreading across their faces, and suddenly they came tearing back at me.
If you've even been set upon by 5 fully grown heavy sheep you'll understand, but I ended up flat on my back being licked by excited sheep.
I could almost hear them crying daddy daddy!

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Temirlan

Jun 28, 2019
Almaty
✟5,058.00
Country
Kazakhstan
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Wow. If his prophecies don't come true, he's not a prophet. Businessman, yes, but not prophet.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

My general rule of thumb: If someone calls themselves a prophet then run the opposite direction. Run hard, run fast, don't look back.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,296.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"And Samuel answered Saul, and said, I am the seer: ..." I Sam 9

"For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: ..." I Cor 15:9-10 Paul stating he was an apostle

My confession: now more than before, believing more Scriptures

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
My general rule of thumb: If someone calls themselves a prophet then run the opposite direction. Run hard, run fast, don't look back.

-CryptoLutheran
Why apply that rule just to prophets, why not apply it to all five ministries?

Upvote 0