boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
i'm not really familiar with pastors' duties and what they're good at besides preaching and being leaders...does anyone know more details? anything else they devote themselves to? anything else that needs doing from them other than what i just said? what kind of skill word adjectives can you provide like maybe 'rumors' to bring around their staff in the church just in case something seems wrong and they're going their best way around it. or, 'doing things they can't talk about,' because they are leaders of their church and leaders need to know all and be the one to see mistakes of others and the one to have the knowledge of what's going on and how to prepare for that next Sunday in church? thanks for any answers.

Last edited:

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i'm not really familiar with pastors' duties and what they're good at besides preaching and being leaders...does anyone know more details? anything else they devote themselves to? anything else that needs doing from them other than what i just said? what kind of skill word adjectives can you provide like maybe 'rumors' to bring around their staff in the church just in case something seems wrong and they're going their best way around it. or, 'doing things they can't talk about,' because they are leaders of their church and leaders need to know all and be the one to see mistakes of others and the one to have the knowledge of what's going on and how to prepare for that next Sunday in church? thanks for any answers,
1 Timothy 3:1-7 goes over some things but it says Bishop not Pastor

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
i'm not really familiar with pastors' duties and what they're good at besides preaching and being leaders...does anyone know more details? anything else they devote themselves to? anything else that needs doing from them other than what i just said? what kind of skill word adjectives can you provide like maybe 'rumors' to bring around their staff in the church just in case something seems wrong and they're going their best way around it. or, 'doing things they can't talk about,' because they are leaders of their church and leaders need to know all and be the one to see mistakes of others and the one to have the knowledge of what's going on and how to prepare for that next Sunday in church? thanks for any answers,

This will vary a little bit from church to church (and from denomination to denomination).

In my denomination, priests (what we call our pastors) have primary responsibility for preparing and leading worship, preaching and teaching, and share leadership of the mission and ministry of the parish (local church).

Besides that, there's one-on-one pastoral care, administration (so much administration), relationships with those outside the parish (outreach but also with other churches, agencies and so forth)... those are probably the main things my time goes into.

One thing to realise is that most churches are small, and the idea of a church with more than one staff member isn't the reality most of us work in. For most of us, the one minister is the only staff person, and so there's a bit of a culture of "If it needs doing, the pastor does it."

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
It depends on the denomination. Some protestant pastors have other jobs, as well as families, so they don't have the opportunity to devote as much time to their ministry as a Catholic priest. My parish priest celebrates Mass six days a week (often twice), has prayers to recite throughout the day, must handle administrative duties for two parishes, and spends hours writing both hus homilies, and lessons for our bulletin. He must also be able to respond to emergencies, such as the death, illness or injury of anyone in either of the two churches he oversees.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This is going to be different at every single church.

I'm in a medium size church of about 1,500 and we have a Senior Pastor how does most of the preaching and guides the teaching vision by planning sermon series which any other Pastor will follow when they are preaching. He is essentially the spiritual captain with the overall vision for where the church is going spiritually.

We also have an Executive Pastor who is responsible for just about everything else - keeping track of the staff, programs, and volunteers, etc. as well as making sure everything is running smoothly. If you have a problem you will likely see him first before the Senior Pastor is approached.

Then we also have a Children's Ministry Pastor, High School Pastor and Jr. High Pastor.

Finally we also have an Associate Pastor who is responsible for communications - making sure everyone in the church knows what's going on from week to week.

As has already been said above, in some churches one guy does it all.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A pastor is primarily devoted to the church, unlike other members of leadership that might be mentors, elders or musicians etc.

The pastor's main function is to know all of the members of the congregation, and to "keep his finger on the pulse", as a figure of speech, a personal guardian to those who are growing in the faith, so that he watches to make sure their growth is healthy until they mature in faith - that they might then return the service! :)

.. in a way, it isn't a responsibility only for him in a congregation, but so that a church can function and teach the faith in the community while enabling the other members to manage their life outside of the church, the dedicated role is made for that purpose.

If the congregation's size warrants it, they might pool their resources to ensure his living conditions in lieu of the employment he might have otherwise had (1 John 3:17, Ephesians 4:28).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Damon46789

Dec 22, 2018
Oklahoma
✟8,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pastors are required to provide for the spiritual and physical needs of those in The church. Anything less than this is complete failure. Act 2.

Upvote 0

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Pastors are required to provide for the spiritual and physical needs of those in The church. Anything less than this is complete failure. Act 2.
that's great for longtime overall management. in return for good faith and good works perhaps from people who do so and join a church, they can be fed spiritually and physically which i have already known beforehand but thank you and i'm just saying that's good that they keep up such things for people.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
i'm not really familiar with pastors' duties and what they're good at besides preaching and being leaders...does anyone know more details? anything else they devote themselves to? anything else that needs doing from them other than what i just said? what kind of skill word adjectives can you provide like maybe 'rumors' to bring around their staff in the church just in case something seems wrong and they're going their best way around it. or, 'doing things they can't talk about,' because they are leaders of their church and leaders need to know all and be the one to see mistakes of others and the one to have the knowledge of what's going on and how to prepare for that next Sunday in church? thanks for any answers.

In the Lutheran tradition we recognize pastors as having the vocation and calling to be ministers oof the Gospel, and so their chief duty is to be servants of the Church, ministering Christ's people with God's gifts of Word and Sacrament. That includes the obvious tasks of preaching and administering the Sacraments, but also caring for the flock in diverse ways. Pastors are servants, not masters.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums